Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill Nightmare!

I'm so frustrated! I was originally banded in June 2007 with the older 4 cc Alergan Band. By December 2007, I had lost 60 lbs. which I was pleased with. Long story short, that band was found to be defective. The band itself, not the port or tubing was leaking. Under fluroscopy, we could see the barium going through the tubing and one it hit the band, it just shot out into my abdomen. UGH! I had a complete band replacement in December 2008 with the newer 10 cc band. I'm just gettin back into the whole fill thing. My first fill was 2.0 cc, the next fill was 2.0 cc however I ended up in the ER that same night because I couldn't even swallow my own spit. He took out 1.0 so I was up to 3.0. I didn't gain any weight but I didn't loose any either. I honestly felt no restriction. Yesterday I went again and my doc said he really didn't think that would happen again...unless you're me. He added 2.0 for a total of 5.0 I drank the Water, it went down fine but it didn't stay down. I tried five times. When he came back in he said "You're kidding, right?" I wish I was kidding. He removed 1.5 so I'm at 3.5.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I want this thing to work so bad. Physically, I am not a candidate for bypass surgery (previous bowel resection) but I wouldn't have done that anyway for personal reasons so I really want this to work but I'm almost two years out from the beginning and I'm wondering if it just won't work for me. I never thought I'd be in this situation. I thought I'd be one of the Lap-band Success stories.

Any advice or words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Renee

I am so sorry to hear of your trouble! I hope this time works for you. What I dont get is that it seems to me that your fills are huge! 2 cc at one time? I havent had my first fill yet, but my surgeon said that he will not put in more than .5cc at a time. His philosphy is slow and steady. It worries me for you, can this be healthy?

Let me know how it goes,

D:rolleyes2:

I feel your pain. I"m super sensitive to fills too. I dread them everytime. I"ve had about 4 fills and 2 unfill. I'm in pain and usually stay in bed all day the day of the fills/unfill.

dont be frustrated you have had enough time to prepare yourself mentally. remember it is a tool not a miracle problem solver i wish you well. i just love having my restriction tight it eventually opens anyway , so enjoy not being able to eat thats what its all about. not being able to swallow your own saliva doesnt sound right, alot of people use excuses, so they can eat you can do it....be one of the succes stories you have the tool now make it work...

I also agree with the previous poster that stated that your fills seem huge. I have a 10 cc band and my doctor will only give me fills of 0.25 cc's at a time and I have a very hard time getting used to those, so I cannot imagine getting 2cc fills at a time. I would just ask your doc to start giving you much, much smaller fills the next couple times and maybe that will help, good luck!

my dr is giving me a little bit a time also. I feel its better to be safe than sorry. I'm on my 2nd fill, and so far are reaping the benefits. I wish u lots of luck on your journey.

My body is super sensitive to fills as well. I only have about 4ccs in an 11cc band. My fills have to be relatively small or I .

swell shut. I got a .75cc fill yesterday and spent most of the evening swollen shut. Today I am getting coffee to go down, so far, but know that I would be in a mess if I even attempted thin mashed potatoes for at least another 12 hours.

I will be good in a day or so and will be able to eat regular food, just smaller portions, again.

I do drop close to ten pounds each time I get a fill like this, though. I like this kind. Makes it go fast.

I then stall for about three weeks but it gives my body time to adjust to the weight loss. It seems to work well for my body and my system.

That first 24 hours is rough at times, especially if I swell completely shut. I have done the ER thing to get a bit out but we only take enough to be able to get some Water down and then we stop there because the swelling will go away.

Good luck to you! It seems that this Lap Band thing is a lot more difficult than it seems sometimes. Hopefully they will get things worked out so that you can lose your weight!