Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have United Healthcare???

I got my approval today from uhc. I have not got the letter yet but I called today and they told me I was approved and the letters went out yesturday. my Dr office summitted my paperwork elet. at the beginning of the week and they made a approval in the same week. GO UHC for being on the ball.....

I am really impressed with UHC judging by your responses. I hope I have similar luck!!

I have UHC Choice Plus POS. I called and I was told they would cover based on BMI over 40 and the 5-year weight documentation. I have both of those and they have been submitted to UHC for approval.

In the meantime...I have my first visit with the surgeon in three weeks. On the information I received at orientation, they told us that there is a $300 fee just to meet with the surgeon on that first visit. If I have not yet received approval on the surgery from UHC, does that mean I will have to pay the $300 that day? Or would UHC cover it as a regular co-pay? Anyone have experience with this?

Also, for those of you who have been covered by UHC for this surgery, what kind of out-of-pocket costs did you have? I know all policies are different, but I'm still curious on an average of all your costs (doctor's visits, psych evaluation, surgery, fills, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

My plan covered my inital visit with the midsouth bariatrics. the only thing i had to pay was my $20.00 copay. There office did all my paperwork and sent in for the approval , my pcp did not do anything except write me a letter and refer me to them. I was told the only out of pocket cost would be the my $100 ded to the hosptial. The office and ins both told me this. with that said I may have to pay a $500 to the office for ongoing support with psych and nutl. They told me all clints have to pay this because the ins will not. I am checking into this because I can have twenty psych visit a year and now my nult visit on the other hand i have to pay for my ins will not cover this cost. they did cover the inital one with on the $20 copay but stated anything after that i would have to pay for. So at most i am looking at $600 out of pocket cost. plus any copays for fills.

Wow, EMT, that is not bad at all. I'd love to have insurance cover 100 %, but I'm thinking I can deal with around $600 or so. So I'm assuming everything had been filed and approved before you even had your initial visit?

I just called the ins company after my free seminar and ask if it was covered.. they told me Dr woodman was a in network provider and yes it was covered 100%. So i went to the initial visit April 1st and only paid the $20 co pay. at that visit they went over everything uhc wanted to cover it. but at that time nothing had been sent in. My paperwork was just summited to uhc 4/20 and on Friday i called uhc and they told me they received all the paperwork from Dr Woodman's office and I was approved. The Approval letter went out 4/23 in the mail. I have been amazed with uhc being so quick. I work in a dental office and have been dealing with ins company's and they like to give you the run around but i will say i have been impressed with UHC

I am approved!!!! I found out when I went in for an appointment on Friday the 24th. I am scheduled for surgery on May 19th. I am sooo excited. They told me that I would have to spend the night, that is what my insurance requires. Did anyone else with United have to spend the night?????

I'm with UHC, and so far I've had to get a Nutrition Consultation, and a Psych Exam, but those requirements were from the Doctor, not UHC.

UHC is requiring that I get a cardiac and pulmonary clearance, but that's supposedly because my BMI is over 55. I'm working through my PCP to get this, and hopefully it won't take long.

Otherwise, I have to do the pre-op diet for 2-3 weeks (lose at least 20 lbs - again a requirement of the doctor, not UHC) and that's it! No 5 year weight history, no 6 month physician supervised diet.

And my UHC rep said she does approvals within 24 hours of receiving them if all the required documentation is included.

I have to say, it's much easier with UHC than I expected. :drool:

I have to say, my approval from UHC was laughably easy to get. I needed: ultrasound pulmonary assessment, a little blood work, nutrition consultation, psych evaluation, a note from my PCP. That’s pretty much it, in fact I did the first three things all in one day. They asked for a supervised weight loss history, I gave them an old Jenny Craig evaluation form from about five years ago (from a center that’s now closed, no less), and they accepted it. All in all, about three weeks from start of process to approval. Another person I work with had a full bypass; he tells me they went for it with almost no questions asked.

It all depends on how much of a plan your employer has worked out with UHC. My company has a pretty comprehensive plan, so they tend to go for these kinds of things with little strum und drang. Your company may have a lesser plan, and you might get some hassle. All you can do is try!

Edited by marko