Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mood Changes

I am not posting this out on the "external" forums because I am curious to see what OUR group is experiencing. Especially (but certainly not limited to) those that have already started the pre-op dieting.

I have noticed that I am much happier in general since beginning the pre-op diet. I can't figure out why - if it's because I am eating healthier and I am in this "eating to live, not living to eat" mode (someone else said that recently and I loved it so I kind of stole it just now, was it you Ann?) and I am not eating all the processed crap that I was, OR if it's just because deep down I know I am 3 weeks away from the first day of the rest of my life?

Has anyone else experienced any of this?

I feel less stressed and more happy and maybe a little more energy. I am digging it!

Amy

How cool that you feel better already! This is purely speculation on my part, but I'd be willing to bet that it's related to the better eating habits and elimination of bad carbs. A month or so ago, I followed the post-surgical eating plan for one week. During that week, I slept better, was happier, and had much more energy. Unfortunately, I had a difficult time sticking with it without having a tool in place to help control my hunger and allow me to feel full sooner. :)

Keep up the most excellent work! Just think - we'll get to feel like that -- and even better -- very soon.

I have noticed that I am much happier in general since beginning the pre-op diet. I can't figure out why - if it's because I am eating healthier and I am in this "eating to live, not living to eat" mode (someone else said that recently and I loved it so I kind of stole it just now, was it you Ann?) and I am not eating all the processed crap that I was, OR if it's just because deep down I know I am 3 weeks away from the first day of the rest of my life?

Has anyone else experienced any of this?

I feel less stressed and more happy and maybe a little more energy. I am digging it!

Amy

Amy, I believe it was John who said that, not me. I'm just happier since I've started adding rum to my Slim Fast. :thumbup: j/k No, seriously, I haven't started on my pre-op yet, but I am getting happier the closer my date gets. And I get upset when I sabotage myself by eating, say, all the chocolate eggs out of my son's Easter basket. (He said he didn't like them, so *someone* had to eat them!)

I think it's probably a combination of the better diet and the excitement of our new lives about to begin! :)

Hey Amy I agree with Ann. I have been so excited lately that I can hardly contain myself. I don't have to do a pre-op diet except for a 2 day liquid diet before surgery, but I have been making better food choices and even went for a walk today. (It was finally nice enough to do so) I had an errand to run and instead of hoping in my car for the mile ride I decided to walk instead.

I don't want to wait until my surgery to start losing weight I want to start my journey now.

I do have to admit for now I am planning to do slim fast and Protein bars and just have 1 healthy meal a day.

I don't want to do a complete liquid diet because I have to do liquids for 2 weeks after surgery and I don't think I'm that strong.

I am so happy to hear that because I start my pre op diet on Monday and I was worried I would be miserable! However, I have noticed in the past that I always feel better when I am actually doing something about my weight instead of doing nothing and getting bigger! I am excited to start on Monday and right now I am having a hard time concentrating on anything else!!

2-Week Pre-op Diet: To Begin 4/20/09

Pre-op Appointment: 4/20/09

:tt1: Surgery Date: 5/4/09!!!

Good luck, Skinnybyrd! It is Monday! Let us know how you are doing. :rolleyes:

Okay, I have officially started the pre-op diet and it is difficult. Amy, when did you stay you started feeling better? I did not get my shakes until Monday afternoon so I ate regular food for Breakfast and lunch and then had a shake for dinner and then nothing but shakes from there!! My pre-op diet is 5 Optifast shakes a day which equals 800 calories and this is hard. I do not have a lot of energy but I keep telling myself it will get easier!! Although, it is difficult, it is also doable! No matter what I am not going to mess this up!!

I have found some good tidbits to make it more manageable. The sugar free fat fee instant pudding powder, I mix a teaspoon of that in with some of my shakes and it makes it taste much better! I just had the cheesecake flavor today! Also, I noticed how much I am getting sick of just having sweet stuff to drink, so I did get some chicken broth to have a little here and there to ease the salt craving. I also found some sugar free pop cycles which only have 5 calories so that is good!

I started feeling better after probably day 2. It was sooo much mental stuff - going from being like "YES! TIME FOR LUNCH!!! WHAT IN THE WORLD SHALL I HAVE TODAY, THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS! :thumbup:" to, "hmm I need to make a quick shake and keeo working" or whatever.

So by day 3 I was over being excited about my "endless possibilities" and I was moving on with it.

I have lost 13 lbs since I started the pre-op, for a total of 40 since I started down the LB road so I am trying to use that as motivation. One of my friends that I haven't seen in a couple of months that has no idea I am doing this saw a new pic on Facebook and said something to me about having lost weight, so YAY!

You can totally do it though! The pudding is a GREAT idea. I like doing a little bit of a banana and/or some frozen strawberries in my shake. I did peaches and they are OK too.

Keep us updated!!

Amy

Ooh, what great ideas! I especially like the pudding mix suggestion. Thanks! :thumbup:

My Dr doesnt have me on a preop diet at all except for the day before surgery. And Im kinda jealous because all of you are getting a jump start on your WL. My preop is Clear Liquids for one day before surgery and then nothing not even liquids from 10pm the day before surgery. I am only gaining weight. The last meals so to speak. How ridiculous am I? I know I should start cutting back; and instead Im doing the opposite, trying to eat all the things that bandster's say they have trouble with after surgery. Thank God I will have a tool to help me fight this battle in a few weeks. Im kinda worried about the post opp diet. That one is a few weeks long. Full liquids then a few weeks of mushies then Im free to try to start living my perminant new lifestyle.

Update! I am feeling better!! Yay! Hopefully, now I am used to this preop diet and will continue to feel good. Today was much easier than yesterday. Yesterday, I was so tired and I was bloated and gassy I think from changing over to all of this Protein. I was like are you kidding me, i have been on a liquid diet for three days and I look fatter!! Today the bloating has gone down and life is good again. I only wish that a glass of wine was on my liquid diet!!

My Dr doesnt have me on a preop diet at all except for the day before surgery. And Im kinda jealous because all of you are getting a jump start on your WL. My preop is Clear liquids for one day before surgery and then nothing not even liquids from 10pm the day before surgery. I am only gaining weight. The last meals so to speak. How ridiculous am I? I know I should start cutting back; and instead Im doing the opposite, trying to eat all the things that bandster's say they have trouble with after surgery. Thank God I will have a tool to help me fight this battle in a few weeks. Im kinda worried about the post opp diet. That one is a few weeks long. Full liquids then a few weeks of mushies then Im free to try to start living my perminant new lifestyle.

I bet it would help you feel better mentally and maybe even physically if you put yourself on a pre-op diet. Something similar to what you see others doing. That way you get a jump-start too, and you start getting used to the bandster routine. Good luck, whatever you choose to do! :thumbup: