Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emergency advice needed...

I agree with both Fanny and Plain----this is not how you should be reacting! The meds are obviously not working, or you are pushing it too hard.

My advice would be to find out based upon your weight what amount of liquid you need to avoid dehydration, and I would work to get that amount and that only for a couple of days. Let your stomach rest. Everytime you throw up, it swells and the iritation begins all over again. The goal should be not to throw up again. If that means surviving for a week or so on nutrtitious liquids, then do that!

Drink some ensure, and broths, but keep it in small sips--and liquid ONLY until the swelling and irritation heal enough to try to handle soft mushy food, and slowly work your way up again.

Right now it seems you are in an evil cycle of vomit and swell------and with Dr.'s who are not concerned enough about the situation.

My concern, Claire, is does your lapband doctor know what happened, or were you only dealing with an emergency room or hospital doctor? I can't tell from your post if the right doctor is treating you. A hospital doc won't know the details that your lapband doc will about what you need to do to not further harm yourself.

And were you in the hospital all this time?? If so, that's a very long time!

As for what the others said, they are a thousand percent right. You should not be experiencing less problems -- you should be experiencing NO problems.

???? You can become dependant on IV Fluid like you can get dependant on oxygen......that is, not at all.

If you're still vomiting, they're not working.

WTF, Claire?!?Are you residing in the United States? Because before I get all worked up on how incompetant your docs have been, I want to be sure there's not a cultural difference (Foreign doctors vs. American doctors).

But here's the real issue.....Is this a for real post? Does it seem normal to you that you cannot hold much liquid down and no food? And that the solution is to start toning your muscles?

She said in one post that she lives in Bournemouth and her surgeon is in Birmingham. These cities are in the south of England. Not sure if she was banded privately or on the national health system. That may well affect who she contacts with problems

Oh my gosh! Thank GOD you've checked in! I've been so worried!

I'm STILL worried!

You should not still be doing this. From what I gather, you NEVER called your band doctor!

CALL ASAP!!!

Please stop trying to eat. You need to be sipping slowly and waiting in between for it to go down, stay down and hopefully be okay for the next sip.

I agree with everyone else. Being on an IV would actually probably help a lot b/c you'd be able to rest your stomach and heal. For them to send you home is ridiculous! You shouldn't be out of the hospital yet! And IVs are NOT addictive!

Oh my gosh! I just don't even know what to say. It's all been said. I'm VERY concerned for you!

Keep us up to date and let us know how you are!

I agree with what everyone else has said. Definitely days of liquids might be the only hope for saving your band if you don't already have a slip. The damage may already be done at this point and you need to be checked by your band doctor.

Keep in mind, not all doctors are very familiar with the band. Emergency room doctors in some hospitals may never have been previously exposed and may be giving some bad advice without knowing any better. That is why most band doctors say to call their office first and foremost no matter what time rather than going directly to the emergency room. At this point, I would think that your band doctor would want to have you in for flouroscopy or an endoscopy to check out your stomach and the band. Especially if you are still vomiting (even if it is less) and are still having trouble with liquids.

I really hope everything is OK with your band and that you are feeling better very soon. I am very sorry you had to go through all this.

She said in one post that she lives in Bournemouth and her surgeon is in Birmingham. These cities are in the south of England. Not sure if she was banded privately or on the national health system. That may well affect who she contacts with problems

My bad...I guess I skimmed over that part. It was her use of "mum" that made me suspect maybe she wasn't an American. I can't badmouth the British medical system, because I know nothing about it; However, I do know that blue monkey has recieved some EXTREMELY poor medical advice from her medical team.

However, I do know that blue monkey has recieved some EXTREMELY poor medical advice from her medical team.

Agreed. Completely.

I was told at the pre op meeting not to drink sodas, but they said a little trick that seems to work when somethings stuck, drink a bit of soda and it will either flush it or bring it up. The carbinatio. Not sure thats much good for you now and i havent tried it cause i just got banded , just sharing. The oritos are bad cause when you chew it and its wet it gets pasty, like any breads or tortillas so it gets stuck around in the band like putty you see probably the opening is very small now. But i agree with the other lady we shouldnt diagnose, just makes sense with everything they told me .Hope you feel better hun. I hear whole wheat crackers and stuff are ok, i eat sun chips to get rid of the craving for chips or wheat thins just chew good.

Edited by Vinca

Blue...

I am very concerned about you and I pray that all is well with you and your band!

Please take care and I hope that you've contact your lapband doctor by now.

Please keep us posted!