Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diets?

That and the fact that I'm not puking. :thumbup:

oh yes... not puking = very wonderful!

Hey Juniper,

That rocks that we're at the same office! I picked Dr. Anderson because he was at the seminar. Did you go to one?

Did you have to speak to the dietician? When I was there talking to her she told me the ratio of carbs to Protein in the myocel stuff... So I bought some that had as much protein and as many carbs as Myocel before I even started the pre-op. When I went to pick up my packet of stuff to start the pre-op, Nikki asked what flavor I wanted and I told her I already had some that I'd ordered online. She said just make sure it has at least 20g of protein per serving and that it's whey based, but that was fine. Soooo, if you don't like the Myocel you might want to look into something else. That stuff they sold was expensive compared to the $20 I paid for my huge thing of it.

When is your surgery date?

Did you know Dr. Hagood does the fills? I might have picked him had I known that, not that I don't like Dr. A but it would be kind of nice to have the same person all the way through! Do you like Dr. Hagood?

Wow, I am full of questions!

It's the nerves talking... I am terribly nervous about tomorrow. :thumbup:

I'm exhilerated that I'm finally doing something proactive and meaningful to improve my quality of my life. This Monday, I started my liquid diet. :thumbdown:I cheated yesterday with a slice of baked ham (RUSSER VA HAM) and just I took two fork fulls of spaghetti. I just got home from pre-op lab testing (I was at the hospital all day 10:30-4:40:cursing:).

You guys seem great, I can't wait to get to know you better

My dr. requires us to do the induction phase of Atkins 14 days prior to surgery...

Hey Juniper,

That rocks that we're at the same office! I picked Dr. Anderson because he was at the seminar. Did you go to one?

Did you have to speak to the dietician? When I was there talking to her she told me the ratio of carbs to Protein in the myocel stuff... So I bought some that had as much protein and as many carbs as Myocel before I even started the pre-op. When I went to pick up my packet of stuff to start the pre-op, Nikki asked what flavor I wanted and I told her I already had some that I'd ordered online. She said just make sure it has at least 20g of protein per serving and that it's Whey based, but that was fine. Soooo, if you don't like the Myocel you might want to look into something else. That stuff they sold was expensive compared to the $20 I paid for my huge thing of it.

When is your surgery date?

Did you know Dr. Hagood does the fills? I might have picked him had I known that, not that I don't like Dr. A but it would be kind of nice to have the same person all the way through! Do you like Dr. Hagood?

Wow, I am full of questions!

It's the nerves talking... I am terribly nervous about tomorrow. :D

Hey TxAmy! I'm sending you lots of positive thoughts for your surgery! I can't wait to hear how it all went for you!

I never went to a seminar. Maybe it's just too personal a decision for me, but I hate going to groups like that. I'm the same way with Lasik surgery. I want to do it, but I don't want to sit through a seminar about it. I want to talk to a doctor personally!

I did go see the nutritionist there, and she told me the same thing, that I could choose some other type of Protein Powder, but Tracy (Dr. Hagood's nurse) was quite insistent. Then again, she admitted at my first appointment that the WLS were new to her, so maybe no one's told her. Or they had some inventory they wanted to get rid of! :thumbup:

They've given me a tentative surgery date of the 28th, but that all depends on my pre-op appt on the 21st. I will plan it when I hear it from Dr. Hagood that he thinks I'm ready.

No, I didn't know he did the fills, but that's good! He seems like an interesting guy from the little bit of time I've spent with him so far. Very subdued, and to the point. The psychiatrist told me that he really enjoys the "scientific" part of being a surgeon, but his bedside manner is a little lacking. That's fine with me. I'd rather he be good at performing the best surgery possible than engaging in chit-chat with me.

Best of luck with your surgery, and relax... you'll be sucking ice chips and sipping Soup before you know it. :thumbup:

I start my pre-op diet tomorrow and I had a serious pig out day today. I'll be doing 7 days of a high Protein / low carb diet - no white stuff. one fruit and one yogurt per day. I feel very lucky after reading all of your posts about the Protein Shakes, but I will deal with those after my surgery. One week to go for me then it's on to lifetime skinnyhood! Oh yeah! :thumbup:

Sooooo...it seems like everyone and their mom has to do a pre-op diet before surgery. I of course expected to do one as well, but when i got my surgery date she said I didn't have to do a pre-op diet, which shocked me!

I carry most of my weight in the middle, but the surgeon never made any mention of that or examined me when I had my consultation with him back in January.

So I read about EVERYONE else having to go on a pre-op diet and I now am panicking a little bit that now if I don't do one something will go wrong....he'll examine me on the 15th at my pre-op appt. and say we can't do the surgery because my liver is too big or something. Can I just trust that he knows what he is doing and just carry on as normal until then?

Anyone else out there NOT have to do a pre-op diet?

Im just a little excited today

Got weighed at my final appointment before surgery May 14th Ive lost 13kg, yipeeeeeee and only 1 more week left of the dreaded pre op diet.

Whoever invented Optifast is one sick sick person. :thumbsup:

Hey Juniper,

Tracy is the new LB coordinator, Nikki was the old one. I started all of this in October, and she was the one I dealt with mostly, AND the reason why I chose their practice - she was awesome. She was helpful, she had the band herself... she let people feel her port at the seminar!

But then Tracy was there, and I never really got a good feeling about her like with Nikki. Tracy was gone the day that I went to pick up my pre-op stuff and so Nikki filled in for me and she let me do the non-Myocel stuff. Maybe you can just call and talk to Nikki... tell her you're having a problem with the Myocel and what else can you do?

Anyways, I did survive yesterday. I am writing my story now and I will post it soon. And the thought of Soup makes me want to puke. :thumbsup:

I'm sticking to Water for now!

oh no!! no puking!

glad to hear from you, though. :-)

I am on Day 3 of my Pre-Op diet! I have to drink 2 adkins advantage protien shakes a day, and up to 2 healthy meals. (Healthy meals = 4-6 oz lean chicken, turkey, beef, and green veggies only). Doesnt bother me, I like both of those. I dont have a problem following the diet all day, it is at night that is hard. I drink a shake for breakfast...have lunch...and a shake late afternoon to curb any hunger until dinner. Then eat dinner. I have discovered that my problem is my "snack" hunger at night. On night 1....i cheated and ate some hot fries (one of my fav things to have) and on night 2 I had a couple cookies! AHHH!

So this morning I was really thinking about it...and realized that the hardest thing for me will be that. I am going to have to come up with a way to avoid that night time snacking. Today though, I am starting the day and focusing ONLY ON TODAY! Today...im going to do well...I am going to go into the night KNOWING what is coming...and distract myself from it. ;)

Leeann, I have the same problem.

Since I mix my own Protein "drinks", I have 1 in the morning, 1 for afternoon, and 1 for after dinner, so that I have something in my tummy when I lie down to sleep.< /p>

Also, I've had to eliminate all the foods that I would normally snack on, and I've stocked up on sugar free popsicles, and sugar free Jello. When I get the late, late night munchies, I grab one of those. It does help.

yeah...i bought some bell peppers and have them in the fridge. I LOVE fresh cold bell peppers...and I think tonight I am going to get the ready and cut them up...and when my nightly hunger attack comes on...I am going to take a bite of a bell pepper...maybe the "crunch" of that will satisfy my "snack" hunger!

This pre-op diet is driving me crazy! I saw my surgeon last week and he was really unhappy with me because I had gained weight since the first time I saw him (22 pounds :tt2:), but I have started to lose some of that weight on the pre-op diet and I am down 15 pounds. Anyway, he didn't think I was doing good enough on the pre-op diet and has said that I have to have 3 Optifast shakes a day and nothing else, no green veggies, no sugar free Jello or broth- just the shakes. I had been having th shakes and 3 cups of green veggies, but he insinuated that I had been cheating and didn't know how to follow the optifast diet. :biggrin:

I wasn't actually due to start the pre-op diet until last Friday, but I started 3 and a half weeks early to try and lose the weight I had gained- thank god I did! Now I have the final 2 weeks of my pre-op diet and I have had enough. These optifast shakes make me feel sick and I am just so hungry. I would not reccomend starting the pre-op diet early, it is great to lose that extra weight, but it is just so hard! :biggrin:

I know this will be worth it, but if I never see another optifast again in my life I will be happy. :biggrin:

tully,

i'm sooo sorry you're having a hard time! i know exactly what you mean about never wanting another Protein Shake ever. i'm already so freakin' burned out on Protein powder, i almost can't stand it, and i still have two weeks to go, PLUS post-op!

i know i've been told that not eating ALL the stupid protein will keep you from losing the weight, even if you do everything else right, but it's just so icky. :-(

i've managed to get by so far by freezing the "shake" mix, and eating it like that, but it's still horrible tasting.

i did eat it once mixed in with yogurt, and that managed to cover the taste pretty well, but i really don't like the taste of yogurt either! *sigh*

one thing, though, how's your thyroid?

i know one reason it's so damn impossible for me to lose weight just from dieting is because of my underactive thyroid.

the only way i've even been able to actually lose weight is to diet AND exercise my butt off... but it's hard to find the strength to exercise when you're only eating 1000 calories a day max.

okay... 2 weeks... we can do this... one terrible yet liver shrinking shake at a time.