Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diets?

Well, I'm on day 13 of my pre-op diet and today is the first day I'm kinda starving. And that's because today I started all Clear liquids... which barely have any calories!! My doc wants a modified bowel prep which is Clear Liquids (broth, Jello, apple juice, grape juice, cranberry juice, anything you can see through), for Sunday and Monday before surgery Tuesday. I am huuuuuuungry! I've had three glasses of juice, two or three cups of broth, and quite a bit of Water so far today. I think I'm going to try to mix some unjury unflavored into my drink now to get some satisfaction.

HOWEVER - Since yesterday morning (last time I weighed), I've lost 16 lbs since my last weigh-in with my dietician. I can see my double chin receding! My pants are already fitting looser! Holy shipoop this thing is really happening!

Why didn't I ever hear of a super restricted liquid diet before? This thing is GENIUS! But then again, I didn't have to drink Slimfast or Optifast, I could have a pretty wide variety of liquid foods. Ok really I need to drink some delicious Protein juice now... ;)

Hey surgery date buddy! We go in on the same day! I am on day 9 (of 10) of a full liquid diet, luckily I do not have to switch to clear liquids. You are strong girl! I have lost 10-12 lbs in these 9 days (it seems to fluctuate) and I have also noticed the pants fitting a little bit looser. Hubby joked that I don't need the surgery, I just need to keep doing the liquid diet for 3 months...I told him that I did not find that amusing lol. ;)

Here's to us staying strong for the last couple of days, see you on the other side!! Are you ready??

Edited by HeavyHeviCyndi
typo

You know, that's one reason why I've decided to do the band, though, cuz I've lost a ton of weight on these "liquid" and extremely low calories diets (particularly MediFast)... but I not only always gain it back, but the pounds always bring friends when they come back!

You know, that's one reason why I've decided to do the band, though, cuz I've lost a ton of weight on these "liquid" and extremely low calories diets (particularly MediFast)... but I not only always gain it back, but the pounds always bring friends when they come back!

Girl, I hear that! Im the queen of crash diets. I got under 150 one year ago for my wedding and now Im at my all time highest of my life. WTH is up with that??!! Ive heard its because when you diet then go back to eating normal your body is afraid your going to diet again so it holds onto weight more than ever. ;) Im so glad this yo yoing has seen its last days!

HOWEVER - Since yesterday morning (last time I weighed), I've lost 16 lbs since my last weigh-in with my dietician

Right on! Youre stoked! :unsure: And good luck on your surgery day! Wow can you believe its so close??! ;)

Here's to us staying strong for the last couple of days, see you on the other side!! Are you ready??

Oh girl, I am SO ready! I've read everything, bought everything, cleaned my house top to bottom, and done all my laundry!! Day 2 of clear liquid diet, day 14 of pre-op diet, and I am ready for the band, woohoo! Got my Jello, juice, broth, and assorted other clear beverages to get me through today. :frown:

I

So here is mine:

Meal 1: Protein shake

Meal 2: 1 servings of TWO of these: oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, bagel, waffle, toast (1/2 cup each)

Meal 3: Protein shake

Meal 4: 4-6 ozs of lean meat, 1 cup of GREEN vegetables

Amy

I started the liquid shake, Soup and Jello diet and did not cheat for 5 days then I read more about shrinking the liver.

What I was doing doing was not shrinking my liver to its best potential since milk and most Soups have a ton of carbs! I think most doctors want to get you in the "LIQUID MIND ZONE" which is great but it doesnt shrink your liver if your not careful. Now I am dropping the pds!

READ READ READ labels!!! SO I started researching other ways to shrink the liver in conjunction with low carb high Protein shakes....see link: http://www.lifebridgehealth.org/sinaibody.cfm?id=2709

Wonderful info..however I also readthat 24-30 hrs prior to surgery try to go clear as much as you can to help empty the intestines and stomach.

So mixing up my diet is dropping the pounds!! 1/2 c of egg beaters w/ 2 tsp of cheese, 1/4c tuna with 1 tsp light mayo/dill w 1 cheese slice or stick, 1/2c low fat cottage cheese, 5 slices of lean lunch meat(turkey, ham) has really kicked the diet up!! unjury makes a great chicken flavored Soup too!

I am getting banded on the 20th!!! I am excited and ready to tackle the post-op now!! If you think about it in phases its much easier. Phase 1 - shrink that liver, eat low carb, low fat, low sugar and high Proteins - this is for you during surgery!!! Phase 2 - eating for a new life!!!

Today was 'Day One' of my 2-week Medifast diet. It wasn't so bad. I get to eat 5-6 products per day and only 1 of them can be a Medifast snack bar. Today I had chicken/pasta Soup (convinced myself that it's like eating ramen noodles), a chocolate shake, scrambled powdered eggs, and a caramel something-or-other snack bar. Everything tasted good, but ask me again in 12 days or so. ;-) Oh, and btw, I paid $188 for 14 days worth of Medifast food.

It was so exciting to jump (er, step gingerly) onto the scale this morning knowing that the number I saw there would be the LAST TIME I would see a number that high on my scale. I'm hoping to shed 15# before surgery. It's going to feel so good to start losing. :-D

Okay, now this is really starting to feel real!

I have finished day 5 of my 7 day pre-op diet and I'm doing great. I'm on a high Protein / low carb diet. I've got all my "supplies" for post op and I just can't believe surgery is in 3 days! I'm in school and finished my semester with a 4.0 today so I've got so much to be thankful for. I'm a little nervous about the 2 weeks of liquids, afraid I'll be hungry alot the second week. But if it means a healthy new me, then I can do anything for a few weeks. Wish me luck!

Whoo Hoo! I'm on day 13 of my liquid diet and lucky for me Day 14 is surgery day!! After today, goodbye Slim Fast. UGH

I honestly can not stand one more! I'm down to just 2 a day b/c I have no appetite and eveything that I can drink tastes terrible to me. I'm SO ready to move on in this process.

And folks - if anyone EVER tries to tell us we are taking the easy way out - consider this.

This past weekend:

1) I sat in the car while my family at inside DQ for lunch - we were going to an out of town wedding.

2) I sat in a resturaunt for 2 hours with my extended family having drinks and appetizers between the wedding and reception.

3) I sat at the reception at a sit-down dinner then wedding cake.

4)Mothers Day - sat at a cookout with extended family (the whole works) and served b-day cake and ice cream for my daughters b-day.

5) Last night - sat in the food court in the mall - my daughters choice for dinner then went home and served them a DQ ice cream cake. (This was her actual b-day! My baby is 12!)

So, this is NOT the easy way out. And I don't plan on this being easy in the future either but at least at some point I can eat SOMETHING. lol!

I'll post as soon as I can about my sugery. Good Luck everyone!

Day 3 of Medifast here. I don't have much of an appetite, for the most part. I'm bummed that I had my One Bar permitted each day for lunch instead of saving it for an evening treat. Based on the nutritionals on the packages, I'd estimate that I'm taking in around 600 calories/day. I was so psyched to get on the scale this morning and see that I'm down nearly 10# after just the first two days. I know I won't continue at this pace, but I'm hoping to lose 20 "bonus pounds" over the two-week period.

Boy, I sure am tired though. zzzzzzzzzz

Day 3 of Medifast here. I don't have much of an appetite, for the most part. I'm bummed that I had my One Bar permitted each day for lunch instead of saving it for an evening treat. Based on the nutritionals on the packages, I'd estimate that I'm taking in around 600 calories/day. I was so psyched to get on the scale this morning and see that I'm down nearly 10# after just the first two days. I know I won't continue at this pace, but I'm hoping to lose 20 "bonus pounds" over the two-week period.

Boy, I sure am tired though. zzzzzzzzzz

Christy, all the times that I've done MediFast, it's been about day 4 or 5 and all of a sudden my energy picks up, so hang in there!! And if you can stand it, one thing that I used to do that helped was split my bar into two, and eat part at lunch, and the rest as my late night snack (since I'm a baaaaad late night snacker). :crying:

CONGRATS on your 4.0 average!!! That is very admirable!!

As someone who had a really bad time with her pre-op diet, all I can say is HANG IN THERE!!! It is worth it. My surgeon said my liver looked fantastic -- very small and lean. :rolleyes: But I agree, I'll be happy never to look at a SlimFast again!!!!!!!!