Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emptying Band For Travel?

I think the consensus has been established and it's overwhelmingly recommending you keep the fill level when you travel. The reasons have been numerous and on targert. At this point, it seems like rehashing the same points.

You've got the opinions you wanted, should get the opinion you need (your surgeons), and stop worrying about something that isn't happening for over 8 months from now. Geeeeeeeeeez... get on with life!

:mellow:

I think we need to change the name of this thread to "empty band ignorance" I can understand everyones fear and thoughts of relapse, but good night how many have actually had an unfill? As I have stated before when you do unfill you are still un able to eat like you did before the band was put in. Your stomach is still small. You don't see ethiopians get more food and are able to gorge themselves. You will have your limits. you will still get full quick. I think everyone is wayyy over thinking this. Get your unfill, go have fun. The only problem you will have is say you're at 6 cc's right now when you come back they will only put in about 2 to 3 cc's to work you back to your 6. That may take some time but you will continue to lose weight and still remain full. My last thought on this. When you reach a point where you're due for a fill you can eat more you, get hungrier more ( you can gain weight again), Am I right? So to anyone that doesn't rush and get a feel do you say the same to these folks? You're cheating yourself etc... Hell no its just usually about lack of time or if the place you go to has openings etc...

Why would you tell anyone to get an unfill? For what purpose? This band is to teach us to eat in a certain way. What is the big deal with just having enough to be satisfied, like normal people? Why would you condone anyone getting an unfill just so they can eat like a slob?? What are you thinking? No one said you should be on a diet on vcations, cause I wouldnt be. But, gettiing an unfill to eat more??? Why?? That is such FAT MENTALITY!!! Isnt that what we are trying to get away from? You should re-think your stance on the un-fill subject. Its dangerous.:thumbup::eek:

It's disappointing that having a conversation is equated to "worrying" around here. I'm not worried. The issue came up in a normal conversation around my house since we were booking vacation stuff and I just had surgery and am at the stage where I'm trying one new food per meal. I've spent maybe 20-30 mins on this in the last 2 days. I've also worked, worked out, cooked, prepared for my first day of teaching grad students, watched a little tv, and read up on some things I might want to do in Europe (none of which were eating related). Apparently some of you think I'm curled up in a ball quaking at the thought of a meal 8 months from now. I don't get it.

As to the normal people point, "normal" people of my age, sex, and gender require 2000 to 3000 calories per day. I eat 800-1200 calories per day just like the rest of you. If I am in denial about my "fat" mentality, then many of you are in denial about the fact that even with the band you are not "normal" when it comes to eating. Normal people don't get stuck, tight, PB, have to avoid certain foods, avoid drinking at meals, etc.

Lipstix64, no one is looking to eat like a pig. I have all sorts of tools developed along with the band (that will only get better in the next 8 months) including eating slower, recognizing fullness better and earlier, etc. If those tools don't count for anything, then why are they beaten into us by our doctors. Moreover, you, like everyone else before you in this thread, refuses to acknowledge that not every meal you ever ate pre-band and while not dieting was a gorgefest. Nearly all of us have lost weight doing something other than lapband, but we put the weight back on, that's why we went with lapband. So why is it not possible for a person with an empty band to eat as a normal person would for a limited, specified amount of time?

Can someone explain to me without accusations about my mental state, desire to succeed, or any other takedowns, why exactly you believe there are only two meal sizes in the world for people with bands: band-meal and feed trough? Basically, explain why anyone needs to see this as a black and white issue rather than one with shades of gray?

Can someone explain to me without accusations about my mental state, desire to succeed, or any other takedowns, why exactly you believe there are only two meal sizes in the world for people with bands: band-meal and feed trough? Basically, explain why anyone needs to see this as a black and white issue rather than one with shades of gray?

i brought this subject up w/my husband last night, he is also banded. and he said he could not come up with a reason to unfill his band unless in an emergency. this coming from a big guy (6'3 310 to start now 225) who struggled with business / diner or lunches for well over a yr. he knows to have a glass of hot tea to start, then go to a soft fish or Soup based meals. he got a lot of crap from the "guys" for eating like a chick (no one knows we're banded) he just says i'm watching my weight.

then he brought up me doing lunch w/my girlfriends. how only taking a few bites is the norm vs me before, when i felt like a pig actually eating what i ordered....while my girlfriends ate like they had a band.

personally, i have no vested interest in what you do w/your band. it's yours, you do with it as you want. it's a GOOD topic to talk about, i think i eat normal - i can eat any foods, have only pb'd twice in 18 months, i don't slime, i dont' have reflux - lost the weight i wanted and if i want to eat a bit more on one day, i just exercise my butt off the next to counter it. there is grey in this discussion, all are nothing is a mindset that might have contributed to weight problems in the past....balance is key. i do think you might have a different perspective 6 months from now....DH thought having an unfill for a cruise was a good idea right out of the gate - now, he likes what he sees in the mirror to mess w/the results..

Kamala, I have not done it, but my surgeon does it when people request it and I have spoken to two people who have had it done with no probs; just a small gain and then a couple of weeks to get it off.

I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about it, though. It is your body. I do know that when I fly, I get tighter, and it is worse in the mountains to the point that I can barely eat. Do what is best for you.

:smile2:

Why would you tell anyone to get an unfill? For what purpose? This band is to teach us to eat in a certain way. What is the big deal with just having enough to be satisfied, like normal people? Why would you condone anyone getting an unfill just so they can eat like a slob?? What are you thinking? No one said you should be on a diet on vcations, cause I wouldnt be. But, gettiing an unfill to eat more??? Why?? That is such FAT MENTALITY!!! Isnt that what we are trying to get away from? You should re-think your stance on the un-fill subject. Its dangerous.:welldoneclap::grouphug:

i am thinking you have a personal issue here. The band is a tool to help you loose weight not a crutch. Don't ever forget that. If you havn't changed your habits or should I say Culture of eating after the surgery then shame on you. But don't ever come to me with some hollier than thou concept that if a person wants an unfill because they want to indulge a little bit, they should be treated like a lesser human. This person is going on a once in a life time vacation and wants to have a good time with out the worries of a medical condition or issue while gone. I say have at it and have fun. When you get back start your adjustments again. As for a Fat Mentality ( there is a reason you, me and everyone else here has it) WE WERE/ARE FAT.

P.S. if you read my previous posts you will also understand that even with an unfill that doesn't neccisarily mean you can eat more and Indulge etc... Your stomach has shrunk. You will not ever be able to eat like you did before unless you just completely do the opposite of everything you were told for an extended period of time.

To the orig. poster HAVE FUN!

I just want to jump in here and state: The band helps dim your appetite.... you do not get as hungry WITH the band as you are without... even if you don't think you do. Your stomach can shrink all you want it to, and if you get that band removed, your appetite will come back FULL FORCE. It has nothing to do with the shrunken size of your stomach. This has been proven time and time again. The fact of the matter is, you lose the band, you gain the weight. This is the statistical FACT.

I know that this was NOT the question posed in this thread, and we have discussed THAT question over and over. But I just wanted to clarify for any of you that think you'll 'learn the right way to eat' and not gain weight after a significant unfill or band removal are kidding yourself.

I will say as I said before... I agree with the others who say that an unfill perpetuates fat mentality. We need to learn to eat using our band to maintain a healthy weight. Even if it is eating like a BIRD.

I just want to jump in here and state: The band helps dim your appetite.... you do not get as hungry WITH the band as you are without... even if you don't think you do. Your stomach can shrink all you want it to, and if you get that band removed, your appetite will come back FULL FORCE. It has nothing to do with the shrunken size of your stomach. This has been proven time and time again. The fact of the matter is, you lose the band, you gain the weight. This is the statistical FACT.

I know that this was NOT the question posed in this thread, and we have discussed THAT question over and over. But I just wanted to clarify for any of you that think you'll 'learn the right way to eat' and not gain weight after a significant unfill or band removal are kidding yourself.

I will say as I said before... I agree with the others who say that an unfill perpetuates fat mentality. We need to learn to eat using our band to maintain a healthy weight. Even if it is eating like a BIRD.

no one said anything about losing the band. said get unfill for a vacation to make sure they don't have medical complications. I am pretty sure I'd be thinking the same thing especially in a foriegn country.

no one said anything about losing the band. said get unfill for a vacation to make sure they don't have medical complications. I am pretty sure I'd be thinking the same thing especially in a foriegn country.

Initially, the poster stated they wanted an unfill so they would not offend family members by not eating their food... I DO NOT advocate going to Europe super tight, but a 'medical complication' simply due to a trip in Europe is not very likely. I fly all of the time, and besides some added restriction for a half day post flight, there are no complications. And I maintain a pretty tight band, restriction-wise. Most people would not be as affected by a flight as I am.

i am thinking you have a personal issue here. The band is a tool to help you loose weight not a crutch. Don't ever forget that. If you havn't changed your habits or should I say Culture of eating after the surgery then shame on you. But don't ever come to me with some hollier than thou concept that if a person wants an unfill because they want to indulge a little bit, they should be treated like a lesser human. This person is going on a once in a life time vacation and wants to have a good time with out the worries of a medical condition or issue while gone. I say have at it and have fun. When you get back start your adjustments again. As for a Fat Mentality ( there is a reason you, me and everyone else here has it) WE WERE/ARE FAT.

P.S. if you read my previous posts you will also understand that even with an unfill that doesn't neccisarily mean you can eat more and Indulge etc... Your stomach has shrunk. You will not ever be able to eat like you did before unless you just completely do the opposite of everything you were told for an extended period of time.

To the orig. poster HAVE FUN!

According to your logic someone could get to goal, have their band removed, and not regain.

Stats say you are wrong.

The obsession and compulsion never go away, we learn to deal with it WHILE we are using a WLS tool.

And speaking of holier than thou attitudes, have you checked yours lately?

with all due respect, while this might apply to you - you can't attribute it to the masses who have had unfills.

i have a friend that had her band removed 6 months ago and is losing weight as fast as those w/one.

you can't lump this process for a one size fit all - i live w/a husband who is banded .... his journey is NOTHING like mine; but we got the same results.

I have been banded for 2 years now and have travel to vegas without unfilling my band.. i didnt find a need because quite frankly i can enjoy myself in many other ways other than food..

and plus think about pricey restarauts and how small thier portions are...

i come from a polish family and trust me they like to eat.. im actually going in august to poland for 2 wks with no intention on getting an unfill.. and ill deal with the explaining of me trying to live a healthier life...

Ive had my band unfilled for my gallbladder surgery and it took my 6mths of going to get fillled and unfilled to find that sweet spot.. and my dr. isnt afraid to do an aggressive fill either..

you think you will be able to control yourself thinking you changed your ways.. but truth is we all still have the mind we used to have preband.. eat when hungrey and trust me i was hungry all the time.. even though i tried to eat healthy and excercise..

not trying to be harsh im just speaking from personal experience!!:welldoneclap:

with all due respect, while this might apply to you - you can't attribute it to the masses who have had unfills.

i have a friend that had her band removed 6 months ago and is losing weight as fast as those w/one.

you can't lump this process for a one size fit all - i live w/a husband who is banded .... his journey is NOTHING like mine; but we got the same results.

I concur it is different for every person. Statistically, if you look at someone who has a band vs. no band, you have a MUCH BETTER SHOT of losing the weight and KEEPING IT OFF. I took my weight off many times, but was never able to maintain it for more than a year. And fill levels are different for every person, but my doc has made it very clear to me that 90% of people that have any sort of significant unfill post weight loss see a weight gain over the long term. It might not be immediate, and it might not be significant, but it does tend to happen according to the information HE has.

I simply don't want people to be naive and think that once they learn 'good eating habits' they will be able to get the band removed or unfilled and stay thin. Sure, there are exceptions to every rule, but most people are not the exception.

I guess it is what it is. This subject seems to very touche'. People that havn't had an unfill have differnet ideas of those that have had it done. That being said i'd feel better off speaking on thoughts of religion, abortion and sports than this one.

I'm just 7 weeks into this process but I have to agree wholeheartedly with those who say don't do it. The thing that I've found most extraordinary about having the band is how I had to disassociate food with so many activities. You know "let's watch a movie - and order a pizza", "We're all going for mom's house - what for dinners?", "We're staying in tonight - let's pick up some snacks". I think you're buying into the fat person in you. We have to think like skinny people. Their world does not revolve around food. I understand that food is one of the highlights of vacations - believe me I do. I myself am relieved at the small portions I eat now. I'm embarrassed of the amount of food I used to eat. The amount of food I eat now makes me feel satisfied and that's what food is meant to do. Don't put the onus of this decision on your relatives. They want to see you healthy. I'm sure they'll take note of the weight you've already lost and support you in your efforts towards continued weight loss. My fam are my biggest supporters. They keep the bad food away from me and have even changed their eating habits to ensure I stay on track. I don't think you should expect or accept anything less than that from your family.

If you came back from you vacation not having had your band unfilled I can almost guarantee you you won't miss those extra spoonfuls. If you do get unfilled you just might find yourself regretting it. Remember why you made the choice to be banded in the first place.

Enjoy your vacation -whatever you decide.