Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is a different kind of hunger...

Hi All...I'm 6 days post-op and the hunger is starting to set in. My doctor says Water, broth, Jello only for the first week and that's what I've been doing. I'm trying to learn when I'm "full". It feels like my pouch gets full after 4 - 6 oz of liquid, but there is still a "lower stomach" hunger. Has anyone else had this? It's very strange to feel like you can't drink anymore but yet deep in my stomach I feel a gnawing hunger. I wonder if this is just the way hunger feels now.

This is day 6 for me and my mind, my tummy and reality don't seem to be on the same page. I can have anything that would go through a straw. I think I over indulged on Thurs. still not sure. I haven't felt hunger, upper or lower, and I am pushing myself to get the Protein shakes in. I am also pushing for the fluids; other than a dry mouth I don't even think about Fluid. It seems easier to just do Water or the Popsicles than the shakes, which I know I need for the Protein. Yesterday I felt "off" so I made sure to add some powdered milk to my first shake and later had a protein bullet. That gave me the 60g of protein but I still have to push for the carbs to keep weakness at bay. It's 1:00 and I have only had one shake and a few sips of Water. I have the stupid chest bubble so I feel like nothing else can go in yet. Never thought I would be trying to get food into me! The weight is coming off but I don't want to be weak so I will keep working on this.

Niterun

exactly nite run....that bubble you feel is the exact feeling I have had since day ONE! I know you have commented on my posting before..."5 day post op and dry heaving gas"...or something like that...anyway, I am still dry heaving...I can not get anything down until right after I dry heave like crazy. It's so uncomfortable and it so hurts...I am getting only like 6 oz. of what every i can manage to keep down..and that is in a day! I am scared.! :)

I know exactly how you feel. I felt the same thing. It lasted about a week, week and a half. I'm about 3 weeks postop now. That weird feeling of my lower stomach feeling starved has stopped. I do still feel alot of activity, rumblings/grumblings in my tummy but I'm not hungry:thumbup:

weight.png

Oh, i know exactly what you mean! Im having the same rumbling in my lower stomach, like Im not eating enough. I'm 4 days post op, and preying this feeling will go away! I'm also on the Clear Liquids, ie-isopure, broth, jello, apple juice. Did anyone have a Hiatal Hernia repaired during surgery?

I had a hiatal hernia repair too. My main pain is in the port area. After feeling weak and woozy everyday, I started sipping small amounts of a Protein Shake and it has really helped with that. I confessed this to my doctor's office and they were ok with it, maybe because I'm diabetic. My stomach is also giving me confusing signals - gas? hunger? surgical pain? Just don't know for sure.

I was banded on 3/12 and I am about ready to die from the constant growling, I cant stand the Isopure it actually makes me gag. I just sent my husband to the store to get me something with a little more Protein in it. Any suggestions on how to get that nagging feeling away ? I am keeping pretty active but I am now to the point where I am feeling somewhat weak from the lack of food.< /p>

Thanks all for the replies. Cocobutta, it's nice to know that yours subsided after a week and a half. Hopefully mine will too. ShanyaB, You were banded 3 days after me and I remember feeling like that too. It seems like Days 6/7 really started to feel much better.Sipping a good Soup broth made me feel more satisfied.

I was banded on 3/12 and I am about ready to die from the constant growling, I cant stand the Isopure it actually makes me gag. I just sent my husband to the store to get me something with a little more Protein in it. Any suggestions on how to get that nagging feeling away ? I am keeping pretty active but I am now to the point where I am feeling somewhat weak from the lack of food.

I agree, ISOPURE mixed with Water is bad but much better mixed with milk. The unflavored with chicken or beef bouillon was also good for me.....

Thanks Jack. I needed to hear that. I don't have the hunger, but I am bubbly, and it feels just odd. I needed to hear that it is going to feel better at some point. I feel bad for folks who can't be on full liquids to start. I've been lucky in that Doc said anything that'll go through a straw since Day 1. I think I did about 2.5 days clears, and I am on day 3 of full liquids. I think I'll be in this stage for another week or so before I move on to mushies. Thanks for telling us it gets better. :)