Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico - Dr. Aceves - Advice - Travel Partner ?

Hello;

I have been researching all this information and I am quite comfortable with Mexico and Dr.Aceves I think. I am waiting to hear if I am a good candidate for the Sleeve. Too much aftercare in the Band I think. Looking for feedback from anyone in Canada. I want to do this soon and wondered if there is anyone looking to have a buddy to go there with for a procedure? I am in Ontario but anywhere is OK as we have to get to San Diego anyway. This is a huge expense but I really need to do this somehow. The more feedback the better .. Thank you

If you want the sleeve why not get it done through OHIP, they will pay for it as long as your BMI is over 35 with co-morbs or over 40 with or without co-morbs.

OHIP coverage on sleeve? Are you sure you don't mean Gastric Bypass? My BMI 36.6 and I didn't think anyone did the sleeve other than in Mexico from everything I've read?

What is co-morbs?

Where do I find that info ? Thank you so much !

OHIP covers RNY (Gastric Bypass), VSG ( sleeve) and DS (Duodenal Switch). You can get on the list for the sleeve in Ontario if you qualify with the misgroup MIS Group or you can apply for OOC (out of country) coverage and have it done in the US.

Co-morbidities are high blood pressure, joint paint, heart problems, etc. If you don't have any and your BMI is under 40 then you won't qualify to have it done through OHIP.

If you want more info about OHIP coverage, you should join Obesity Help and find the Ontario forum. Tons of people on there have had OHIP covered procedures done in country and out of country and they can direct you where to start.

ObesityHelp - Gastric Bypass, LAP-BAND

Thank you "so done with it all"

I have email the MIS group with my story and hope to hear something. Sounds like an 18 mth wait maybe..eek. How do I find out about approval for US surgury? I think it's quicker? Thank you SO MUCH!

Click on this link and ask questions of those that have done it already. From my understanding, you download the form from the OHIP site, you have your family doc complete it saying you need the surgery now, you pick a surgeon and put their info in there and then fax it to OHIP and wait for the Purolator truck to deliver your approval. I know they approve to have it done in US but not sure if they approve for Mexico or not, it just says Out of Country. They only cover the surgery cost and you are responsible for all other costs associated such as hotel and travel.

Ontario, Canada

Hello;

I have been researching all this information and I am quite comfortable with Mexico and Dr.Aceves I think. I am waiting to hear if I am a good candidate for the Sleeve. Too much aftercare in the Band I think. Looking for feedback from anyone in Canada. I want to do this soon and wondered if there is anyone looking to have a buddy to go there with for a procedure? I am in Ontario but anywhere is OK as we have to get to San Diego anyway. This is a huge expense but I really need to do this somehow. The more feedback the better .. Thank you

Please keep in mind Mexico is on a travel advisory from the Canadian Gov't these days due to gang violence... and it is violent.. I have friends who live in San Diego and won't go over to Tijuana even on a day trip because of the number of people who are being killed over having a marine hair cut or having a expensive looking ring on... it is very dangerous these days.

Please please read the advisories before going.. and make an informed decision.. these days you couldn't pay me to go to mexico and I am a very experienced traveler.

Heather

I am interested in the sleeve and I am in Saskatchewan..... have you heard if that area is actually dangerous to travel to or not. I am wanting to go and get it done in Mexico soon - but I have been looking at Dr. Alvarez as well (just across border from San Antonio, TX). Let me know if you have heard from OHIP and maybe you will be doing something different. I will be on a self pay as our government does not cover that procedure. Looking forward to hearing from you!