Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

'Beware" of Mexican Doc Advocates?

I have been on the self help group discussions, but in the long run, all the info centers on one's personal experience . What would be the source to find out the more serious stuff that happens in Mexico by Mexican surgeons? Mortality rate for one, infections, etc.

I would love to know who your sergeon is and where he is. If an emergency does happen. I would feel much better to know I will get help here instead of having to run down to T.J Mexico. I am scheduled for surgery at the end of this month is mexico. But, I have been told repeatedly that no California emergency will touch a lap band patient who has had the surgery in Mexico.

I am happy :) for you that your surgery in Mexico was a very pleasant experience and successful! It appears you have done very well and must be feeling so good by now!! I would love to have Dr. Oritz as my surgeon also, but I could stay in my home town have the surgery for almost around $2,000.00 more with free refills for a year. I am self pay and feel there has to be a good, reputable surgeon that stands behind his work for less $. There are several surgeons to pick from at lower prices and that makes the choice more complicated. I know that spending the extra $ may be worth it, but some of us do not have the extra to spend. Like I said, I would stay here and have the surgery if that were the case.

Thank you for your feedback. I wish you many skinny and happy days to come!!

Cindyh

I don't think that's true. There was a thread here where Dr Ortiz talked the doctor in the emergency room thru what needed to be done OVER THE PHONE when a lapbander went to the ER w/ an emergency obstruction. I think it was CA--but might have been WA state.

Anyone remember the name of that thread?

Hmmm... I don't think I was thinking of that one. There's one where the lapster was PBing for hours after getting a fill & was too far away to go back to TJ. She had to get unfilled and couldn't afford a refill for awhile. I can't remember her name... I've wondered how she was doing tho. She kinda dissapeared. I'm pretty sure she lives in Ore or Wash. Anyone know who I'm talking about?

LaMadam had the obstruction. The one you are thinking of who was way too tight and couldn't get back was Nykee...not sure if that's her screen name...she had "a fill from hell" thread, I think. Let me go look, hang tight...

Here it is

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7410

and the follow-up thread

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8799

Is that the one?

Yep--that's it--Nykee. Thank you Kathy!

Okay, looks like she's in Oregon, but I don't see any reason that it shouldn't work the same way in CA. I think saying an ER won't touch someone who's been banded it Mexico is a pretty broad statement. If someone is too sick to travel they are going to help.

Guest Voula

This AM I will be attending her funeral. Unbeknownst to all but her husband she went to Mexico for Lap Band surgery . She left last Monday for what I thought was a vacation...Tuesday evening I received a call from her husband telling me that she had died. I am left with many questions along with great sadness. Her husband was told that she died mid-surgery from a heart attack from anesthesia (sp?)

She was only 40 years old and full of life.

This AM I will be attending her funeral. Unbeknownst to all but her husband she went to Mexico for Lap Band surgery . She left last Monday for what I thought was a vacation...Tuesday evening I received a call from her husband telling me that she had died. I am left with many questions along with great sadness. Her husband was told that she died mid-surgery from a heart attack from anesthesia (sp?)

She was only 40 years old and full of life..

tell us more about where was,whit what Doctor

If someone is too sick to travel they are going to help.

Kare, I can only speak from my own ER experience here in CA

I had complete bowel obstruction, and was in theworst pain I have EVER been in in my life..the ER doc specifically told me he did not feel comfortable operating on me since he did not know anything about the lap band, he told me I needed to go back to MX and have Ortiz fix me, that is when he called Ortiz and spoke to him on the phone and Ortiz told him to get me to MX ASAP and he would do the surgery

I found out later through the President of the hospital that I went to who is a customer of mine that Mission Hospital does not have a bariatric team or department...which explains it all. I was told next time in an emergency situation to go to SOuth Coast Medical where they have a trained bariatric team. This is just my experience...personally I would rather travel to Tj for an emergency since Ortiz knows me and my band so well...the time Id wait in the ER waiting room here in CA to be seen by an ER doc I can be in TJ and get treated immediately. I waited 2 hours in the ER waiting room before I was even seen..It takes 1.5 hours to drive to Ortiz's office

tell us more about where was,whit what Doctor

lucartwlucy,

Noone has been able to find out the truth about this story. We don't know if it's true or not? I hope it isn't true, but that means someone is being very bad for some reason?

Kare, I can only speak from my own ER experience here in CA

I found out later through the President of the hospital that I went to who is a customer of mine that Mission Hospital does not have a bariatric team or department...which explains it all. I was told next time in an emergency situation to go to SOuth Coast Medical where they have a trained bariatric team. This is just my experience...personally I would rather travel to Tj for an emergency since Ortiz knows me and my band so well...the time Id wait in the ER waiting room here in CA to be seen by an ER doc I can be in TJ and get treated immediately. I waited 2 hours in the ER waiting room before I was even seen..It takes 1.5 hours to drive to Ortiz's office

That's really good information Michelle. Thank you for sharing that. Certainly, I would also go back to Dr Ortiz if at all pratical, but since I don't have a husband and not usually anyone I would ask to drive me to MX I would probably be stuck w/ the ER... I guess unless the train was running.

If I was "just" choking and sliming I could probably make it to MX--but with a bowel obstruction I don't think you could have driven yourself, could you?

But I think the moral of the story is we ALL should CALL the hospitals around us and note who has a bariatric team for just in case.

My prayers to you and your family for your loss.

Who was the doc in mexico that had done this? Please let us know.

Again, may God comfort you in your loss

I am going to Dr. Alberto Aceves in Mexicali, MX. He has a very wonderful reputation and is a very thorough surgeon. I've have talked to many of his patients some of which are patient advocates and others that are just his patients. From what I have heard he is very dedicated to helping people lose weight. He keeps in touch with his patients 1 year after the surgery, in which he requires that you email/call him to let him know how you are doing. He provides information for his patients to receive care back in the US. We have a forum that we go to and have a chat room that is open on Fridays around 7pm EST where we can talk to one another and to his assistant Nina. Everyone I have talked to has given him glowing reports about his ability as a surgeon, his bedside manners and his overall personality.

The advocates that work for him have never mentioned what they get for working for him. They are very imformative, and they answer questions that new people ask, those that are pre-op/post-op often ask questions as to how to eat properly, type of exercise...etc. One thing that impressed me was that there were no gimmicks, special deals (which I am not faulting, but sounds weird when you are wanting surgery)...he has an upfront fee, willing to work with patients individually on how to pay and gives detailed information as to what he provides the patient, and what will happen pre surgery and post surgery.

If you are a patient of Dr. Aceves you are considered family as many have told me. His number one goal is to provide a safe weightloss tool that will help his patients stay healthy for the rest of their life. If you are interested in his background, please check www.mexicolapband.com also check out tracyslapband.com to view her experience as one of his patients. There are many more out there, but start with these websites as they will lead you to others.