Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My pouch closes up 4 weeks after a fill WHY?

This has happened to me a few times. Then I have to go have an unfill and keep going around in circles. This is getting very old. I don't know if my pouch is getting clogged or what the heck is going on. I drink pineapple juice and hot teas to try and clean it out. This is getting crazy. I can't get on any kind of groove to get the weight off. :unsure:

Do you find that after several weeks, you start eating slightly different solids and pb a time or two. It is possible that a pb experience after some time out starts swelling . . . which leads to more pb'ing, until you end up closing up.

This has happened to me also so I'm curious to see the answers. Last time I went about 7 weeks on a fill then it tightened up. Just when I thought I was at my sweet spot, BAM, I couldn't get nothing down & had to go for an unfill of 1cc. I had to wait 4 weeks for a fill, then they would only give me .4cc. In 3 weeks I go for another fill & though I'm ready to get back to restriction (I have only very little right now) I worry that it'll be too much. I'm thinking that maybe I just pb'd so much during the tightness episode that it just got swollen. So I've decided at the next indication of tightness if I possibly pb again, I'm going to immediately go on all liquids to see if that can keep me from an unfill again. Please post again if you find any answers. Thanks for the post.

I went to the Doctor for an unfill and the silly little pouch was stretched. She took out all the Fluid. She seems to think I was blocked and since it just happened yesterday my pouch will be ok.

I am going to do like you said the next time. The first time I PB I am going to go to a liquide diet and see if I can't stop this. Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one this happens to.

I just got banded on March 2nd. Thought I knew hungry, but nothing like the last week. I'm finally on a full liquid diet and not just Clear Liquids. Did not know how hard the first of couple of weeks were. Reading about closes up after a fill scares the daylights out of me. And also what exactly is PB?

Have you guys asked your doc about this when you have gone for the fill/unfill when you are clogged? My doc seems really supportive and would go out of his way to help etc... are yours like this?

My Doc and nurses are awesome! They say I am their problem child. I did not realize but I guess I swell very easy and I just have to approach this in a different way. I am going to do as JRFan 88 suggest and as soon as I have any problem go to liquids. In the past I just thougth it would become unstuck and keep going. Well, not the case.

jimgail01.. The closing up doesn't happen to everyone. You just have to becareful and do what the Dr tells you. I seem to carry a lot of my stress and emotions in my stomach and it has a lot to do with how the band reacts. You will be fine. Just keep reading this site and you will learn a lot.

Edited by JWood1967
spelling

I am the same way, my stomach swells a few days or weeks after a fill. My doctors are very understanding too.

I am new Hello to everyone!! My surgery date is March 24. I am a little scared but I am ready to go like yesterday!!!

I too have been going through the same thing of getting a fill, going home and doing just fine for a few weeks and then all of sudden vomitting for a week to 10 days and then going to the doctor for an unfill. I've been trying to do only liquids for a days now to see if will get better so I don't have to get unfilled but nothing seems to work.

I have the same problem. I really need a fill now, but I am scared to get another one. I know what will happen.