Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 2 cents worth, this happens everywhere . . . US included. Whether this particular story is true or not is irrelevant in that you have to be careful no matter where you go, whether it is Tijuana, Istanbul, Prague, New York, Houston, etc. There are thousands of muggings every day.

Personally, I have had fills at Hospital Angeles in Tijuana. The front of the hospital is gated with a security guard (sometimes 2) in a booth and for somewhere between $1-$3 dollars, you can park in the guarded section a few short feet in front of the hospital . . . and I always do. Cars are frequently stolen in border towns on both sides so I like this option . . . and $1 - $3 is cheap enough for all of us I hope.

This is also an area with McDonald's and TGIFriday's, a big Sam's Club, tons of people walking the streets, busy roads, etc. It is not a run-down seedy place in the middle of the slums . . . just kind of middle of the road. Not bad, not good, just normal.

You can definitely find slums not far from the hospital, but I wouldn't recommend walking around in a foreign country in the bad parts of town at off hours.

My name really is Heather and considering that I have posted a couple of thousands posts on this website, I don't feel like anybody can assume I am hiding anything. I am also just a banded person with no affiliation with any particular group.

Being informed is the best way to protect yourself. Take precautionary measures to keep yourself safe and most likely, you will not be exposed to such things.

I would love to take a trip to see the Great Pyramids, but I just don't feel comfortable traveling in that area of the world.

It may be a reasonable fear or not???

I have been to Mexico many times and most of Central America and the Islands in the Caribbean. One thing I have learned in any of these places is that you really need to know where you are at and if it relatively safe for tourists or not.

I think the recession is really hurting the drug trade everywhere. Maybe they should have a program to help the dealers, so they wouldn't fight so much? Yes I'm just kidding.

i live right on the mexico border el paso, texas my hubby is stationed here in the army and we are not alloweed over there at all. It's so dangerous. I will never go!!!Im so sorry this happened to you. Many people go over there and never come back, so consider your self lucky to be alive!!

Perhaps the OP used an alternate ID because she feared reprisals from the doctor or hospital. Staff from there could most certainly view these forums, and probably do.

Wow come on now. She is just trying to share her experience. Let her.

I didn't stop her did I?

I am a Bandster who has posted a lot here before. But I am using a new ID for this one post. I just had a horrible experience in Tiajuana and was told by my doctor and coordinator to never talk about it. That isn't right. People need to know.

I was banded last autum by a good Lapband surgeon in Tiajuana. I just went for a fill and was told it was safe enough even though I read all the stories of murders, drug problems, and more in the newspaper almost every day here.

My husband and I were mugged in broad daylight one half block from Angeles hospital on the way for a band fill. 2 men with guns knocked us down, took our jewelry cash and wallets with licenses and ID's and kicked my husband so hard in the back he got 2 ribs broken. One of them hit me in the face with his fist and I have 2 big black eyes and bad bruises.

We went back to the Palacio Azteca to get our suitcases and left right away. I'll get my fill in the US, i don't care if it costs more.

I talked with another lady in the lobby there who was there for a fill with another surgeon and she told me she knows of many more cases like this and we are all told to not talk about it so people are not scared away.

People need to know the violence stories and reports are real and true. I like Mexico and we have gone there many times for vacations in our 20 yrs of marriage. but the last 2 years are horrible and we will never go there again.

Mexico is just NOT SAFE ANY MORE.

"Melissa"

Melissa I'm so sorry this happened to you and your husband. I agree stay in the states...if you can get an aggressive enough physician/group to fill you adequately you shouldn't need that many fills. I'm so glad you are both okay though..

I am a Bandster who has posted a lot here before. But I am using a new ID for this one post. I just had a horrible experience in Tiajuana and was told by my doctor and coordinator to never talk about it. That isn't right. People need to know.

I was banded last autum by a good Lapband surgeon in Tiajuana. I just went for a fill and was told it was safe enough even though I read all the stories of murders, drug problems, and more in the newspaper almost every day here.

My husband and I were mugged in broad daylight one half block from Angeles hospital on the way for a band fill. 2 men with guns knocked us down, took our jewelry cash and wallets with licenses and ID's and kicked my husband so hard in the back he got 2 ribs broken. One of them hit me in the face with his fist and I have 2 big black eyes and bad bruises.

We went back to the Palacio Azteca to get our suitcases and left right away. I'll get my fill in the US, i don't care if it costs more.

I talked with another lady in the lobby there who was there for a fill with another surgeon and she told me she knows of many more cases like this and we are all told to not talk about it so people are not scared away.

People need to know the violence stories and reports are real and true. I like Mexico and we have gone there many times for vacations in our 20 yrs of marriage. but the last 2 years are horrible and we will never go there again.

Mexico is just NOT SAFE ANY MORE.

"Melissa"

You could be speaking about Houston... or Boston... or NYC... or Detroit... or Los Angeles... or Tampa... or Washington DC... or Cincinnati... or... I could go on and on. :tongue_smilie:

Regardless of where this crap happends, she is just getting the word out. Id prob use an alias too, to keep peeps from leaving me a thousand questions on my profile about what happend.

I think the recession is really hurting the drug trade everywhere. Maybe they should have a program to help the dealers, so they wouldn't fight so much? Yes I'm just kidding.

Don't give Obama any more ideas. Bailouts for drug lords. Yikes!

Also, I just walked through downtown Texarkana, and nothing happened (!) so feel free to use our fill docs.

Also, I just walked through downtown Texarkana, and nothing happened (!) so feel free to use our fill docs.

Yes but is downtown Texarkana on the Texas or on the Arkansas side? Very important info, that! :tongue_smilie:

Don't give Obama any more ideas. Bailouts for drug lords. Yikes!

Why not Beth? Maybe we can start printing Peso's too~!

Why not Beth? Maybe we can start printing Peso's too~!

At the rate we're going, our dollar is going to be worth LESS than a peso in no time flat! :ohmy:

It makes me wonder if the poster may have gotten angry with dr or hospital in tiajuana and felt that fear would accomplish more than ranting. Who knows, but the anonymous post does cause one to wonder....

With that said, Mexico is very dangerous, and Americans are definitely targets.... so I would be very careful...

Another opinion of one of our customers at the shop who is from Mexico is that in Mexico they hear these same kind of stories about places like Chicago and New York City... :)