Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB's when where why and how

Okay, so now I get that PB's are productive burps. How often do they happen? Is it really loud and obvious? Do you have time to get to a bathroom? What's this slime? Is it only with certain foods? Do you get some warning? Can they be prevented? I would just like some info on PB. I am banded on the 24 and this is the one last thing that is freaking me out. Oh and can anyone out there eat sushi after the band? I'm really going to miss sushi.

OK- here goes. I got banded in October, 1st and 2nd fill didnt really work, got 3rd fill last week-WOW!!!! If I dont chew enough or take really small bites and eat slowly, there is a feeling of food not going down and not coming up; really uncomfortable. You will WANT to throw up just to get rid of that feeling of discomfort and pain. You will create a lot of saliva that is fairly thick and the food will just come up with the littlest effort. There is no burping sound- they just call it that.

I've had my band for close to six months, and I'm beginning to feel like the lone non pb'er, not that I'm complaining. Twice, I've been stuck enough to slime a few times, but the food went down. Both times happened at home, and had I been out to eat, I don't think I would have gotten to that point, because I wouldn't have pushed it.

My stuck episodes were both my doing. The first one was with Chinese chicken and Broccoli. The broccoli was very firm and the chicken seemed a little stringy, but it tasted so good, I kept eating...than I overate. My nose ran, I sighed, I hiccupped, but not having having those "stop eating" cues before, I took one more bite. Yikes, it wasn't pleasant. I began to burp, and it was painful. I chewed a papaya/pineapple pill, slimed twice, and it was over. The second time, I decided to drench my Cereal in milk and it caused the cereal to go down too quickly. I slimed once, and that was it.

I carry my papaya/pineapple pills with me, and if I'm at a restaurant and the meat or fish I'm eating starts to feel a little heavy in my pouch area, I chew a pill, wait a couple of minutes and am mindful to eat a little slower and chew a little better.

I think my band must be a little looser than some, but for me, it's better that way. After all the posts I've read about overfills, slips, erosion, and reflux, I want to try to keep my band just tight enough to help me with my weight loss, but not so tight, I'm having trouble eating a pretty normal diet..just a lot less of it, and with healthier choices.

I forgot one more thing!!! Dont even try to drink Water thinking it will help it go down-WRON!!!!! That DOESNT WOrK!!!! The water will feel like its coming back up too- itmakes things worse.

Im with ya! My band might be a little tight, too. But, thats fine with me. I am learning lessons the hard way. Just now, I had two crackers with tuna on them and I'm stuck, but I think its because of how fast I eat and the big bites. I cant seem to get the hang of eating small bites and chewing to a pulp. But, what is this pineapple pill?

Yeah, slime is like thick saliva or mucus..yuck

I bought my pills at Trader Joe's, but I'm sure you can find them at Vitamin stores or even health food shops. They help break down Protein, and for me, it works right away. The kind I have is: Natural Papaya & pineapple Enzymes.

I forgot one more thing!!! Dont even try to drink Water thinking it will help it go down-WRON!!!!! That DOESNT WOrK!!!! The Water will feel like its coming back up too- itmakes things worse.

Oh, yes! I totally agree with this. One of the most painful experiences I had was when I drank water 'to help it go down..' GEEZ! There's a reason why one of the lap band rules is no fluids with meals. Good luck.

OMG thanks for the no Water to help it go down tip! I would have done that for sure. With the slime do you just have to keep swallowing it or do you spit it out?

With the slime do you just have to keep swallowing it or do you spit it out?

O-U-T :sneaky:

These items are just the little things that happen when we don't follow the rules. Usually the Watery eyes and the sliming go together for me. The Pb seems to happen if I am eating and not paying attention, maybe talking in-between bites. You have a tendency to forget, you have to pay atttention. These are just things to remind us that we now have to eat slowly and chew and chew some more. I am 14 months out, Still again this will happen if I try to eat too fast. Only now I do not take another bite until this feeling passes, you recognize it very quickly. I fear putting weight back on more than I would fear these warning signs. One time after one of my earlier fills (I have had 8), I remember just burping all the time, after drinking liquid, eating Soups, Protein Shakes. That passed as well, As the stomach wall thins out and you have more saline it will take less food before these signs start appearing. The only issue I have when I can tell I actually ate too much food, Normally consist of something crunchy, part of a taco chip or shell, I can eat about 1/3 of a taco salad, with a few chips. I dont feel the restriction as fast, but I have been miserable after eating. See we have to be careful, those bad food still go down, with bad results. I now have 8.5 cc in a 10cc band 8 lbs from goal. Luvin my band, I would put up a fight for mine.

I like being small again. I don't want to go back there again. I am happier, healthier, more energized. less stressed,I know I can only eat so much and I never have to go on another "DIET".