Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BIG Embarassing Moments - Fuel for Success

Maestrita, It sounds terrible but I agree, I can't wait to let him have it once I get to my goal! He was a lousy husband - the first time my doctor recommended LB to me and I told him about it he told me there was NO WAY I would succeed in that and he didn't know why I was even bothering. I would never lose weight. I called my insurance anyways and they weren't covering it TX at that time and I cried so much because it felt like the whole world was against me.

So. Once I am all hot and skinny (and healthy!) it's ON. How terrible, that revenge is also a motivator for me! I'm glad I didn't tell them that part in the psych eval. Haha. :)

But as much as I can't stand him, he did give me a pretty awesome kid. Sorry I made you cry Shellynnrn!

-A

These posts were exactly what I needed to read today because I have been feeling anxious about my decision to go forward with the surgery. You all made me laugh out loud at times (especially Makulafamy's comments about hiding her seatbelt extender in her bra and bald guys with small, um, willies). You also made me feel that I am not alone in the pain and embarassment that I have experienced because so many of the stories that you told were my stories too.

The thing that I am most ready to put behind me is hiding. Hiding from events and people because of fears of being embarassed, of not fitting into chairs, fears of people saying cruel things about my weight, etc. I'm ready to get on with living!

These posts were exactly what I needed to read today because I have been feeling anxious about my decision to go forward with the surgery. You all made me laugh out loud at times (especially Makulafamy's comments about hiding her seatbelt extender in her bra and bald guys with small, um, willies). You also made me feel that I am not alone in the pain and embarassment that I have experienced because so many of the stories that you told were my stories too.

The thing that I am most ready to put behind me is hiding. Hiding from events and people because of fears of being embarassed, of not fitting into chairs, fears of people saying cruel things about my weight, etc. I'm ready to get on with living!

Its my gift to you today...laughter. Good luck as you progress with your choice! I dont regret one moment of it...yet...:frown:

p.s. I hide my seatbelt extender in my underwear drawer. Perhaps when I dont need it anymore I will have it gilded in gold...oooh or have it cremated and put in an urn...ah, the possibilities.

We were doing a sterile procedure on a patient when I was at my biggest. In the middle of the procedure the doc decided he needed an xray of the patient. My hands were gloved (sterile) and because of what I was doing with the patient I couldn't unglove to put on the lead apron. Another nurse, a SKINNY skank of a woman, came over to put the lead apron around my waist. I never had a hard time putting it on but she made a big deal out of how it just wouldn't fit and we didn't have a bigger lead apron.

She fussed with it for what felt like an eternity. Thankfully, the doc saw what was going on and he didn't like her any better than I did and showing his anger he told her to put the GD thing on, this isn't rocket science. He looked at me and winked, showing me he knew she was merely trying to humiliate me.

I avoided fairs, rides at fairs, all that. When I flew on airplanes I used clothing, blankets, newspapers, anything to cover my waist. While the seatbelt did fit I couldn't breathe. So I'd leave it open just laying across my lap.

Do thin people think we actually prefer Cookies to the point that we experience all the above examples people have written?

1. My brother in law (who was probably six at the time, I was 20) told me that I was an eating machine. He didn't mean it to be such a mean thing but I balled my eyes out.

2. I was walking down the side walk, on the edge kind of like a balance beam and these teens were walking down at the same time and one of them mumbled "move over fatty". I know they think I didn't hear them but I did and I've been upset about that ever since.

Ya.I feel the pain. When I was in grade school I rode the bus and when I would sit down the bus of kids would all jump up. Acting like I causing a earthquake. I still cry from that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was a sophmore in high school, I was so excited cause a Senior boy asked me to be his girlfriend. About 2 weeks after us dating, he met me at my locker. Well the boy that had a locker beside mine saw my boyfriend with his arm around my waist. The boy next to us made the comment "Good Lord Alex your arm can't even fit around her waist. I can't believe your dating her FAT A**" I was so embarressed I didn't even knnow what to say. The kicker was the guy that said that was probably 300lbs himself. Well at the end of school that day Alex left a note in my locker and broke up with me. The problem is I never thought of myself that fat in school until that day. :rolleyes2: I am actually happy for the guy who made fun of me because by the end of our senior year he was about 400lbs, he had the lapband 2 years ago and is about 180 lbs. I am happy that he decided to make a change. Now I am happily married for 9 years and have 2 beautiful boys. Anyway,

another one is to have my 4 year old tell me that my belly is bog because I ate to much lunch. :scared2:

another my hubby came home from Iraq for 2 weeks and well our first night of *togetherness* he thought he was going to be all romantic and carry my over his shoulder to bed, well his poor knees buckled under the pressure and we both fell. I ended up putting a whole in the wall with my shoulder. I was so embarressed I was not in the mood anymore. But quickly realized I hadn't seen my hubby in 7 months. LOL:tt1:

I have an appointment Apr. 8th to talk to my doc about the lapband. My last appointment he said that I was a good candidate and my insurance does pay for it. So I am totally excited. My husband being in the military has to live a fit and healthy life, and I want that too. He is 6'2" 182 lbs and I am 5'4" 232lbs. I really need a change.

My 7 yr old taking a length of string and trying to squish down his belly. I asked him what he was doing, and he said he was trying to make his tummy look like mine. He was trying to give himself fat rolls...... I know I have to do something.:huh2:

Wow, like so many others posted, I relate to everyones pain/stories. And I feel great about getting this off my chest! I am currently pre-band, hope to be banded in May! The earlier the better, baby! Here are some embarrassing moments, and things I won't be upset to be leaving behind:

:huh2: I was 5'3" and 160-180 in High School and the third largest girl in our class. Up until my junior year, I wore super baggy clothes throughout school to cover my body. My best friend turned enemy, used to call me Thunder (or something like that) and taunt me every time I entered a class room. My junior year, she (well, someone...) loosened up the screws in my assigned chair and it completely collapsed at the end of class. I was mortified. My then best friend/long term crush had to help me up and I just bolted out of the room. The snotty girls in my next class who witnessed the event, pretended to care by asking *loudly* if I was okay and how *awful* it was to have my desk collapse, being sure to let everyone know what happened.

:) I won't miss being afraid to get on something I love--roller coasters--because I'm afraid of getting stuck, or the bar not being able to lock in with me in the seat. (Both of which have happened)

:eek: Planes

:heart: Seeing all the cute clothes I know won't fit me because most stores don't carry my size, and if they do, they're generally poorly made and unfashionable.

:eek: Being embarrassed for my husband to see me nekkid

:blushing:Being embarrassed for anyone to see me in a bathing suit, even with my cover shirt, as I come out of the Water, since the shirt always clings to my body, and people always stare:crying:

:lol: I hate sneak eating when friends/family visit since I don't want them to think I eat as much as I do.

:lol: Weighing more than anyone else in my family, including my 6'3" father.

:lol: Being afraid to go skiing or horseback riding for fear I'll break the 'gear' or be too heavy to ride.

:blushing:Having favorite jeans rip/fall apart between my thighs within a few months because of how they rub together.

:blushing:All the health problems associated with the weight

:blushing:Not being able to keep up with the kids

:blushing:Being the largest person in the room and/or work environment most of the time

:lol: Keeping myself out of pictures so I don't have to see how terrible I look

:blush:Having days where I don't want to go out of the house because none of my clothes completely hide my fat rolls and I feel like I'm an eyesore.

:blushing:Having favorite jeans rip/fall apart between my thighs within a few months because of how they rub together.

I know I hate it when that happens. I have even had a pair of my pants rip right in my inner thigh because the pants got so thin from rubbing together and I was out to dinner with my husband. I really hated that.... I felt bad for my hubby.

We recently purchased a Wii game system. We all set up our Miis (cartoon characters of ourselves to be used as the game characters). I picked features similar to my own, including a larger body size. Well, when I was playing with my young sons last night, my 7-year-old said I needed to make my Mii bigger to look more like me!!! He wasn't trying to be rude, because he is the one who said he loves me how I am and is concerned about me changing the way I look and feel to him. But it still hit a nerve! Maybe I should create a skinny Mii as positive reinforcement of my goals :thumbup:

We recently purchased a Wii game system....Maybe I should create a skinny Mii as positive reinforcement of my goals :thumbup:

We have one, too, and I always make my avatars skinny-esque. I can't even stand to see an animated me fat haha! I think it's a great motivator--well, at least, it doesn't hurt anything, right?

My funniest moment would have to be with my niece then 4 (now 21) asking me where I got my BIG WHITE THIGHS. My response: At the big white thigh store. Her dad turned crimson, my mom and I just laughed. I still think it is funny and I still do have big white thighs.

The worst is when I was at a very swanky eatery and they told me not to sit on the chair they would bring me out one made sturdier--it was a loveseat, two men carried it out. I filled the whole thing. I have never gone back there since. It spoiled my family celebration and I remember getting up from the table shortly thereafter whispered to my mom that I was going home and I quietly left. I ended up having PB&J instead of the steak I planned to have. Well, things can only get better from here.