Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BIG Embarassing Moments - Fuel for Success

Definitly can relate to a lot of these! Being 23 (5'2"-216lbs) with skinny, tall, gorgeous friends makes me feel like a big blob of icky-ness! Especially when their tiny 130lb 5'6" frames feel the need to diet because they feel "so fat"! :party:

1. During student teaching having one 2nd grade class call me "Miss Sausage" (in front of my super skinny co-op)

2. Having the lady at the cosmetics counter ask me when I was due (nope, not pregenent!)

3. Going out to eat and feeling like the waiter/waitress is judging me if I get anything other than a small salad with non-fat dressing

4. Going to the mall with friends and having to walk around Forever 21, Wet Seal, banana Republic...basically anywhere other than Lane Bryant...and know that I will never be able to fit in their clothes. And getting questioning looks from the employees (or they just ignore me)

5. Sitting down a little too hard on a wooden chair and breaking the leg (in front of my friend)...mortifying!

6. Being in a bar, a few differnt occasions, and having people bump in to me and say things like, "Move your fat a**" or "I don't want to dance with the fat one"...I cried on a few occasions!

7. Getting stuck in an XL top at WetSeal (Idk why I thought I could pull it off)...having to get a friend to help me!

8. Going to Cedar Point and being too scared to ride a few of the rides because of the new weight limit restrictions. Too embaressed to see if I could fit!

I've gone through my 6 months, met with my surgeon, had my psych and nutritional consult (passed!!)...now just waiting to hear from PPO Blue so I can get the rest of my tests (Upper GI, ets...PPO Blue requires you get "preapproval" before you get these other tests). I hope I get banded soon!!

I can relate to sooo many of these.

I think that this one is probably my WORST that I can think of right now:

When I was 20 I was working as an activities director for an assisted living home. My (now husband) had just proposed and we were planning our wedding. I was making in room visits when I heard some of the women chatting in a room. Low and behold they were talking about ME! One lady was saying that if I didnt do something about my weight there was no way my (then fiance) would ever want to stay with me.

I just couldnt believe that they would say that. I was sooo devestated. I could've went home and cried and cried. But, I just sucked it up until the day was over.

Hi all,

I've got two days to go before I'm banded (3/06/09) and am currently 409 lbs (although I think I've lost some during the pre-op diet, but weigh too much to know for sure...my scales don't go that high).

Here's one from last summer that still makes me cry:

- My huband, two sons (15 and 8) went to Nigara Falls for vacation. We decided to take a tram from the hotel down to where the Falls are. Getting on the tram was no problem, but once we got to the bottom the tram stopped a little "off" where a pole was partially blocking the opening of the seat guards. I had to climb up on the seat and climb over the rails, with everyone watching me. Here's the heartbreaking part: my 8 year old defended me. He yelled out to the crowd, "BIG BUTT, SO WHAT?" It broke the ice and made everyone feel ashamed enough to turn away, but my heart broke a little, too. Good incentive...

It's amazing to know that there are so many friends out there that have had some of my same 'worst' moments.

One that really sticks out for me is a couple years back, not even my heaviest weight, we were riding in the car with my grandparents and my grandfather said "you know if you lost about 10 pounds your clients would probably be more open to working with you". I work for a bank and am in sales so being face to face with clients was a part of my life everyday. I couldn't believe he said that and I just figured that it was because he was about 90 years old and didn't mean to hurt me....but it did!

6 days until my surgery and I can't wait to start my new banded life! Thank you so much all of you for the encouraging words. They really help

I totally have tears in my eyes reading these stories. What an amazing group of incredibly STRONG women (and men) we have on this site.

Probably my most embarrassing moment was going kayaking with 4 girlfriends in Shelter Island last summer (at my highest weight . . 230 lbs at 5'6). I was 2nd to last to get my kayak, and it was really narrow. I had a hard time getting my butt in it, and was thinking about how I was going to be in for a very uncomfortable hour or two. The guy at the rental place saw this and asked if I'd like a bigger kayak (in front of my friend. . who is thin). I was actually pretty grateful, and my friend is the kind of person who probably never repeated the story. Still, it was embarrassing and a bit of a wake-up call.

Gabi - I totally relate!

My last memories of my grandparents was a summer visit when I hadn't seen them in about 3 years. I had gained alot of weight in that time, and when I first walked through the door my grandfather's eyes popped and he said "wow!". My grandmother (bless her heart) gave him a nasty look, but I was very uncomfortable for the rest of the visit.

I never saw them again. I continued to gain weight and always came up with excuses to avoid seeing them again (I live in Connecticut and they lived in Arkansas) to avoid more embarrassment.

I know that they loved me, and that they would have wanted to see me, regardless. At the same time, I know that my grandmother (at least) would have understood why I didn't return.

So much pain caused by food....

:thumbup: Having my son call me Mama-the-Hut in front of his friends... He thought he was being funny, and later apologized, but it's one I'll never forget.

After my husband and I got married, we went to Barbados for our honeymoon. I got dressed up the first night and we went to dinner. I was feeling pretty sexy, it was my honeymoon afterall. Four drunk guys were at the bar when we arrived. One of them made a "fat" comment when I walked by. I was so embarrassed and hoped my husband didn't hear it. Well it continued throughout the night. They just hated the fact that I was fat, I guess. I was feeling really uncomfortable and my husband was trying to act like it wasn't happening so that it wouldn't ruin our evening. Some guy at another table said something to them about shutting up and I got up and left. I felt disgusting the rest of the week and avoided any area that I thought they would be at.

I have never told anyone that story.That was 25 years ago and I still think about it...........

After my husband and I got married, we went to Barbados for our honeymoon. I got dressed up the first night and we went to dinner. I was feeling pretty sexy, it was my honeymoon afterall. Four drunk guys were at the bar when we arrived. One of them made a "fat" comment when I walked by. I was so embarrassed and hoped my husband didn't hear it. Well it continued throughout the night. They just hated the fact that I was fat, I guess. I was feeling really uncomfortable and my husband was trying to act like it wasn't happening so that it wouldn't ruin our evening. Some guy at another table said something to them about shutting up and I got up and left. I felt disgusting the rest of the week and avoided any area that I thought they would be at.

I have never told anyone that story.That was 25 years ago and I still think about it...........

I'm sooo sorry about that. I couldnt imagine feeling that way on my honeymoon. You deserved to feel sexy that week. sorry those pigs took that away from you!

Thanks to all for the above notes! I will add a few more:

1. Recently at a grocery store I bent over to pick up a coupon I'd dropped. An elderly man behind me said, "You shouldn't bend over like that, lady!"

2. On a family trip to Mexico, my husband and three kids went parasailing, two by two. I was thankful that we ony had three kids so I could use the excuse of "not wanting to go by myself."

3. I've been a yo-yo dieter all my life but didn't start to REALLY gain until my last pregnancy at age 42--after which I went into perimenapause and have never stopped gaining. My now 14 yr old "baby" recently saw some pictures of me in 1992 and asked, Who's that with Aunt Kathy?" He didn't even recognize me!

Thank God my surgery is a week from today!

I have a funny yet embarrassing one to tell. When it happened, I ran out crying, but now looking back, I can't help but to laugh.

So, it was a Friday night, my now exhusband, 2 kids, his mom and dad and myself all went out to eat. The place was packed (wouldn't you know it). My ex motherinlaw informed me that my right shoe was untied when I returned to the table after serving myself at the hot bar. No biggie, I thought. I sit doen, bent over, and started tying my shoe. I was about to pull the loop through and all my body weighted shifted forward at one time and out of my seat I fall. Right infront of everyone. By the time my ex fatherinlaw was on the side of the table i was on, i was already headed out the door. At that time I weighed 300 pounds, now I only weigh 214.

Like I said, at the time, it was horrible, but now, I can't help but to laugh, so go head and laugh with me. HAHAHAHAHAHA

IWannaBeSkinny - Thanks for the kind words. I usually don't share what happens to me, I'm usually the one doing the comforting. Thanks again.

Thanks Mandilou and everyone. I feel you pain. Boy do I!! I can relate to most all of them. Haven't had to use a CRAP machine yet though thankfully. Mandilou - I KNOW what you are talking about in #17!! Very embarrassing. And some booths in public restaurants are so small - no room to lean over! Geez

I will add one - I had to have an MRI recently (well a little over a year ago). They measured me to see if I would fit and determined that I would. WEll, I did, but barely. It was a VERY tight squeeze. I know you are not supposed to move during the procedure. I didn't have to worry about that because I COULDN'T move!! One of the most traumatic experiences of my life.

I too have "faked" having the seat belt on. I can't wait till I don't need that darn extension. And I ALWAYS size up a seat before I sit in it. I too have broken things I have leaned on or sat on. Sooo embarrassing...

Thanks for this thread. It helps so much to know I'm not alone. Can't wait for March 23 to come!

Just thought of another one. We were in Florida on vacation a few years ago and were at Wet 'n Wild. I wanted to float on The Lazy River in one of those huge tubes. But didn't fit. Gosh that was embarrassing.

My most embarrassing moment was at my step-sister's wedding. It should have been a really happy moment for everyone. I thought that I looked great in my cute skirt and top! At the reception, right before the food was passed out my step-grandmother looks at me (drunk and probably on some kind of pain killers... as usual) and says, "My GOD, you're getting big... I don't think you should eat what we're eating." I swear, it took almost everything in me to not tell her off right there in front of everyone, but I just said excuse me and left. I went back to the condo and cried. It sucked because half of my family came up to the room and kept begging me to come back down. They treated me like it was my fault and that I was acting childish. I never did tell them why I left or why I wouldn't go back, because it was too embarrassing. Needless to say, step-grandmother didn't DARE show her face at my wedding, and it was the best time of my life!