Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate to repeat myself but if breathing is on of the key issues you ma wnat to make sure you don't need a BiPAP machne. I could not breath on the CPAP during my study so they changed something and the breathiing part was OK. Come to find out that the pressure from the CPAP was to hard from me to exhale so they put me on a BiPAP it reduces the airflow on exhale.

Now my issue is all that other crap and that I'm a light sleeper.

They are annoying at first....it does get easier...to the point you don't notice it at all even. Promise!

Have you heard of Melatonin? It is the hormone your body naturally produces to promote sleep. You can buy it in a chewable 3mg tablet and there are virtually no side effects because your body recogonizes it as it's own.

If you are having trouble getting to sleep maybe give it a try. I've always had a hard time getting asleep (specially after getting a cpap like you) Melatonin has been my god send :tt2:

im a nurse and i have a lot of BIPAP/CPAP experience. my 1st suggestion is to call your respiratory supply company and see what options are available. there are masks available that go into your nose. its alot smaller and you dont get claustrophpbic having your whole face covered. its helped alot of my patients in the past. and taking a mild over the counter sleeping pill might help you relax enought to get throught the 1st few nights while you are adjusting to it. i know it sucks but if you stick with it you will find a way to sleep with it on.

Getting used to my CPAP was a challenge. I opted for the whole face mask so that my mouth would be with my nose. I have to have it for surgery too, because my doctor wouldn't let me have anesthesia without knowing that I would wake up. It takes about 1 week to get used to it.

Keep trying!!!

I've had my CPAP for about a month now, and now I can't even take a nap without it.

Good Luck!

Krista:thumbup:

I didn't have trouble getting used to the cpap at first, except that my nose kept getting irritated. HOWEVER, I did have to take the CPAP to the hospital the day of surgery, and that night in the ICU (all sleep apnea folks are in ICU), I had to take it off after a couple of hours and couldn't wear it again for 2-3 weeks! The air pressure from the CPAP was too much when I had so much gas, and shoulder pain, I thought I was going to blow up.

Good luck!

I use the ResMed Liberty, and it works the best for me. I have tried 5 different masks, and this one fits me much better than the full face masks. I have found a lot of support on the forums for sleep apnea, too. Apnea is not a disease to mess around with, though. Prolonged untreated apnea can result in your body developing some pretty serious illnesses. Among those are hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, and hypersomnia, that persists even when the apnea is treated. I experience around 600 awakenings a night when I don't sleep with the machine, and it has really taken a toll on my health since I didn't know this was my problem for so many years. It can have a significant impact on cortisol levels and adrenals. Even after you lose weight, you will need another sleep study to determine whether or not it is safe to sleep without the machine.

About using sleep promoting agents and apnea, use the machine if you take something. Though rare, it can be a lethal combo,...stop breathing but don't wake up.... but I'm sure I don't need to tell folks that.

I've been on a CPAP for 11 years this coming April.

I love it, and have no desire to get rid of it. I will say that three days is not enough time to get used to it. In essence, it is one of the bigger changes you'll make. But it takes getting used to.

I know dozens of people who give up on them. But for me, it is fantastic, and well worth it. (even though at times I wish my wife would agree to me shaving my beard... sometimes the mask gets uncomfortable... but that's another story). ;)

I have had CPAP for 7 years now. Here are some ideas.

1. Make sure your sinuses are clear, really clear. Try some saline spray, stay away from Afrin or any others of that ilk.

2. Get really soft pillow so that it cradles your head, try sleeping with your upper body slightly elevated. (I ended up buying adjustable bed)

3. There are hundreds of masks out there, don't settle for the one they initially give you, it is usually crappy.

You need to find one that fits the size and shape of you face.

4. Hypnosis. Not kidding. See a certified hypnotherapist and tell them your problem. Did it pre-op to relive anxiety, works wonders.

5. I felt 10 years younger the first day after using my CPAP.

6. Be sure your machine has a built in heated humidifier, accept nothing less. This will open your nose and make it much easier for you to breathe.

I had a sleep study done a couple of years ago and then one more recently. With the first one, on the second night where they try the mask I had my only anxiety attack of my life and they had to call my husband to take me home. With the second study, they used a nasal pillow and I only got through the night with xanax. For my surgery, they had a different doctor look at the results and he said I only had mild sleep apnea and cleared me for surgery.

There is no way I can wear that medieval torture device on my face and sleep. For highly motivated people for whom the apnea was affecting the quality of their life (mine wasn't) I can understand their use. But I said I would have to be near death to use it. 50% of people can't tolerate it so you are not alone.

If your insurance company requires it - it might just be because they want the anesthesiologist to know what type of machine you use should you run into any trouble.

But from what I've read about the CPAP on these boards - most surgeons don't allow it after surgery - it blows too much air into the pouch. Ask you surgeon and insurance company the reason for its use pre-surgery and work with that. The reason might not be what you think. Good luck.

Don't know what type of mask you have, but, if it doesn't feel right, try a different style. I have one of the gel masks that is a small triangle, fits just over my nose. And, my four poster bed provides a great 'hanger' for my hose, so I don't battle with it. I've had my BIPAP for 5 years. I bleed 3 liters of O2 nightly as well. My only suggestion is not to panic. When you feel the urge, give yourself a strong self talk about the mask feeding you air, not suffocating you. If you can work through it a few nights, it will get easier. Not great, but easier! I hope to get rid of mine in the future after banding and weight loss! Hang in there!!

Hi I too have a CPAP and am so glad I do. I got tired of being tired all the time from the snoring (waking myself up multiple times) and worrying about keeping my DH awake so much I would sit up all night. When I first got it it took me a few days to get use to the air pressure and I had to get the small over the nose type. I sleep on my back so when I snore my mouth wouldn't stay shut so I tied a bandana under my chin to keep it shut, like Jacob Marley in the Christmas Carol. Looks funny but it works like a charm. DH says he feels he is sleeping with an alien but I tell him at least he is sleeping. It does get easier so don't give up on it, it worth it.

Wow - thank you all SO MUCH for your outpouring of advice and suggestions. It's interesting how differently it has affected people on here. I'm very happy for those of you who love it, and can't live without it.

I spent the weekend at my boyfriends, and I was able to sleep a few more hours with it on. I was more relaxed having him there, and HE loves it... listening to my breathing and the white noise of the machine and he was asleep in about two minutes! LOL

I do have the humidifier and warmer on mine, which I like a lot. But the comment about keeping my sinuses clear really hit home. The big reason I feel I have to take it off is because I'm so stuffed up at night. I am wondering if I got that taken care of (be it allergies or whatever), if I'd even need a cpap at all.

It's getting better, and I think I will try the melatonin suggestion - I prefer the thought of a natural product like that then continued use of Advil PM or something similar (like I have been using).

Thanks again - I'm also going to talk to my surgeon about it - maybe I'll be able to give it back sooner than I thought. I know a lot of surgeons don't let people use their cpap after surgery for the gas issue. God knows my ears are plugging up enough as it is.

Quick follow-up (I hate when I follow a thread and the original poster never tells anyone what their results are):

I took some allergy/sinus meds, along with a really nifty melatonin/valerian root/chamomile concoction last night, and slept like a log! I woke up this morning and realized that I had managed to remove my mask at some point mid-sleep... but at least I was ABLE to sleep. :)

Hopefully I managed to wear it most of the night, anyway.

Thanks again!