Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Likely there is a list on this massive site somewhere. I have my consult with the surgeon on Monday, and I want to ask the right questions. I know they are busy, so I want to use my time well. What do I need to know that I don't know now?

I think you have the wrong philosophy IMHO, They are busy? They are well paid by you or your insurance, get your monies worth, take your time, ask any question in the world and get the answers you need.

You are the customer and they are there to service you. When I go into my docs, I take as much time as needed, which really isn't that long because I come in with my questions and research. I have never felt rushed and thus far I always feel like I am their priority. If you have a ton of questions ask them, it's your time, your dime.

Everyone's questions are different. One of the questions I asked that I had read on here was, "how do some people not know where their port is?". I had read it on here and thought what an interesting question. I also included, "can I use my Breville juicer to make carrot juice, green juices, etc...?". From research online and talking with others, I discovered that doctors vary their preop diets, I wanted to know why. I shared my excitement about surgery and additionally I told them of my fear of going under, not feeling in control scares me. I also asked each individual where they were in their careers and why they choose this career? I asked that to become a bit personal, for my own sake- to feel more comfortable with the people that would be taking care of me.

So, as you can see, questions vary and just know that you can take your time. Be a responsible and do your research so you truly understand what you are doing to your body. I believe this is why dan created the poll that he did. I believe he is looking at do you do your research and know what to expect going in, how to use your tool to weight loss? If you didn't know the ins, outs, sideways, twistways, backways of the surgery/tool, then are you succeessfully using the tool?

Dan, This is not the response I am looking for. I know I am paying for this, even if I were going to go through my insurance, I pay for that, too. In fact, I pay in excess of 15,000.00 a year in insurance premiums, and I remind providers of that when necessary. My disposition is appropriately respectful toward these professionals, and I would expect the same of the clients I serve, as well. I've asked you not to correspond with me. I don't want your less than humble opinion. You are downright rude, and you would not be one of my clients....ever. If I talked to people the way you do, I'd be afraid to ask that same person to operate on me.

I have done my "research," (it would appear that we've developed a rather lose use of this term) and as such don't have a lot of questions to which I don't have the answers already. It is interesting that there is an assumption by someone who is not even banded that perhaps I haven't done my homework. I am a school teacher. That's what Maestra means, BTW.

Thanks, Forggin. I am interested in finding out if there are things that people wish they'd asked that they hadn't. I had written down that I'd like to ask why he chose to go into this area of specialization in order to get a better sense of his personality. That is important for me, too. I realize, too, that once I am under, it more the responsibility of the anesthesia doc than it is the primary surgeon as to whether or not I come back. I wish I could chat with her, too before the surgery day.

Dan, This is not the response I am looking for. I know I am paying for this, even if I were going to go through my insurance, I pay for that, too. In fact, I pay in excess of 15,000.00 a year in insurance premiums, and I remind providers of that when necessary. My disposition is appropriately respectful toward these professionals, and I would expect the same of the clients I serve, as well. I've asked you not to correspond with me. I don't want your less than humble opinion. You are downright rude, and you would not be one of my clients....ever. If I talked to people the way you do, I'd be afraid to ask that same person to operate on me.

I have done my "research," (it would appear that we've developed a rather lose use of this term) and as such don't have a lot of questions to which I don't have the answers already. It is interesting that there is an assumption by someone who is not even banded that perhaps I haven't done my homework. I am a school teacher. That's what Maestra means, BTW.

Thanks, Forggin. I am interested in finding out if there are things that people wish they'd asked that they hadn't. I had written down that I'd like to ask why he chose to go into this area of specialization in order to get a better sense of his personality. That is important for me, too. I realize, too, that once I am under, it more the responsibility of the anesthesia doc than it is the primary surgeon as to whether or not I come back. I wish I could chat with her, too before the surgery day.

Oops, your request not to correspond with was not ignored, I simply didn't find it important enough to remember your name but now that I know what it means I could care even less. If I purposely answer all of your threads or send you private messages I suggest you report me to the moderators, until then however your threads aren't private property and if I have something to say I will say it. Further, I don't recall suggesting that you hadn't done your research, I provided a reasoned and thoughtful response to a person who it seems likes to perpetuate the god complex that many doctors seems to have and the 'my time is more important than yours' attitude that seems to exist. And finally, Foggin gave you essentially the same advice but you choose to blast me, who is rude now?

PS I don't recall requesting to be one of your "clients" and I submit that I'd move on to a different customer service rep or teacher of whatever you specialize in. Seems you've jumped the gun a bit too in your disdain for pre-banders but I guess you are in training to be queen of the post band snobs. Please feel free to ignore my threads and posts as you clearly have fixated on me, wish I could do the same but sorry, I'll forget your name as soon as I post this, sorry to hurt your feelings but again, I'm just not that in to you.:thumbup:

Yes, you don't care so much that you wrote a book to respond. I don't care if you think I am a snob. You have the manners of a camel. Just leave me alone.

I suggest that everyone who objects to be talked to with the tone you use, immediately and permanently stop communications with you.

Yes, you don't care so much that you wrote a book to respond. I don't care if you think I am a snob. You have the manners of a camel. Just leave me alone.

I suggest that everyone who objects to be talked to with the tone you use, immediately and permanently stop communications with you.

Count the words, your book is longer than mine. I never met a rude camel. I agree but why do you keep starting conversations with me:confused: Somewhere in your user control panel is an IGNORE feature. :thumbup:

I never met a rude camel.

Well Dan, it's true - they're rude. They bite and spit. Do you? If so, you're as rude as a camel. If not, we'll have to think of some other animal. :thumbup:

I once rode a camel. True story.

ETA: Not to get sidetracked from the main point, however, there is an ignore button somewhere that you can press if you no longer wish to see the posts of a certain person. Dan, I suggest you use it! No, not on me. (You should use it, too, maestrita.)

Edited by dietpeach

Ok, this has gone far enough:wink2:

Everybody casting aspersions on camels, I object!

Moderators, please close this thread:eek:

Ok, this has gone far enough:wink2:

Everybody casting aspersions on camels, I object!

Moderators, please close this thread:eek:

No, Dan, no! You didn't get it! My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. I was gently teasing you. I thought you'd find it funny.

*scratching monkeys and hyenas off the list*

(The list of animals to compare you to, that is - assuming you're not a camel. Get it? It's a joke!)

Oh, wait. Maybe YOU were joking, too. Help!

No, Dan, no! You didn't get it! My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. I was gently teasing you. I thought you'd find it funny.

*scratching monkeys and hyenas off the list*

(The list of animals to compare you to, that is - assuming you're not a camel. Get it? It's a joke!)

I get it peach, I found it insanely funny:biggrin: see the wink, I was tongue in cheek too. But you can see why I get in trouble I guess, my funny ain't funny enough. BTW I am contacting the NAACI national association for the advancement of camels images and filing suit against myself. Maybe camels don't want to be associated with me.:thumbup:

I've asked you not to correspond with me.

You can put him on ignore.

Likely there is a list on this massive site somewhere. I have my consult with the surgeon on Monday, and I want to ask the right questions. I know they are busy, so I want to use my time well. What do I need to know that I don't know now?

One question I didn't think of until I read on LBT that several women had painful issues with their port put at their bra line. I asked my doctor at my pre-op appt if he could tell me where he'd put my port, and it's exactly where he said it would go. Mine is about an inch or two below my ribcage on my left hand side. It's above my waist line, so it's location has had little impact on me, after the initial soreness wore off.

You'll want to know how many bands he's placed, and if he works with a partner, do they work in tandem during the surgeries, and if so, how many bands the partner has placed.

You'll want to know how they handle fills. How often can you come in, and if you have a co-pay, and the fill is too tight, can you come back in within a decent period of time (my office is w/i two weeks) for an adjustment at no charge. I'm self pay, so I get one year of fills, as many as I need, but after that they're $150. Also, you may want to know how they handle emergencies with fills. For instance, if you go to the emergency room for an emergency unfill, you're insurance and your co-pay may take a huge hit. If the surgeon or and associate is on call on the off hours, they may take care of you in the office.

I also asked my doctor how my care is handled if we move. My doctor said he'd set me up with a new doctor, if that were to happen.

You also might want to ask what his practice's rate of band problems are (slips, erosion, port flips). My office is well below the national average, and I would be leery of any office that was above average, myself.

Those are a few things I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others, and some of these, you might have already covered or don't apply to your situation.

Thank you, Kiz. That's what I was hoping to hear about. I wouldn't have anticipated that the port would ever be near the bra line, but now I will know to ask.