Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Barium Swallow & X-Ray

Should I be worried that my surgeon doesn't do this for any of his patients? When I asked he said...'we don't check by xray'. Does that mean he can check a different way? What should I do?

Ask him how he DOES check. If he doesn't, you can decide it that's a deal breaker or not. Mine had me do barium before and after..checks for hernias too, not just making sure things are routed properly.

Ask him how he DOES check. If he doesn't, you can decide it that's a deal breaker or not. Mine had me do barium before and after..checks for hernias too, not just making sure things are routed properly.

He does everything else, just not that. I had my endoscopy this past weekend and everything was fine in regards to hernias. I have all the other tests but just this one he doesn't do. I am thinking it's because I'm having it at a surgical center and they don't have an xray machine. Could I go somewhere else and have them do an xray through insurance?

gabi311b...I think it's really your call. Not all docs require the x ray, not all require it before AND after, etc. I felt that if I swallowed Water post op and it went down fine I didn't need an xray but my doc wanted it. I am not a doc or a surgeon (as I may have said LOL) BUT I trust my surgeon. Let me put it this way...if you're going to trust your surgeon and his team to knock you out, cut you open and place the band around your stomach, then close you back up and bring you back to consciousness, if he doesn't think you need an x ray on top of the endoscopy, why are you nervous? Are you really just uncomfortable about the place/doctor? Or do you feel he isn't thorough? Or do you just want it because others get it? That sounds silly LOL and I don't mean it that way. My point is only you know if it is that important or not. I say if you feel you need it, and he isn't doing it, ask yourself why, and if you need to switch surgeons.

gabi311b...Or do you just want it because others get it? That sounds silly LOL and I don't mean it that way. My point is only you know if it is that important or not. I say if you feel you need it, and he isn't doing it, ask yourself why, and if you need to switch surgeons.

I think you are right...I just wanted it cause I've heard so many others say they've had it. I think I'm just second guessing myself. I trust my Dr. completely and I really like him and his staff. Thanks for helping me put it in perspective!

My doctor required it before and after. It is not the most pleasant test, but it is do able.

I am really glad I had it the day after surgery. It just gave me peace of mind knowing that everyhting was working properly prior to leaving the hospital.

Talk to your doctor about your concerns. Perhaps, you can have the procedure done after surgery, but at a location that has the appropriate equipment to conduct the test. :thumbdown:

I had the barium swallow but not the endoscopy...I think that for some, it is an "either/or" thing.

I had the barium swallow but not the endoscopy...I think that for some, it is an "either/or" thing.

My doc did not do barium or endoscopy. I was tested on Water though. And I've had an upper GI fifteen months after surgery and all was confirmed as placed fine. So, it is NOT a requirement. My doc has done so many bands I trust his judgment.

My doc did not do barium or endoscopy. I was tested on Water though. And I've had an upper GI fifteen months after surgery and all was confirmed as placed fine. So, it is NOT a requirement. My doc has done so many bands I trust his judgment.

Not sure why you replied directly to me to make your comment-Like I said, for some, it is an either/or thing. Of course different doctors have different guidelines...