Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fabulous February Bandsters Unite!

The Realize C band is the new generation of the Realize band. Instead of straight, it is precurved. There is only one size of the Realize band and I think they are both 10cc bands. THe Lap band had two sizes and a couple of models. It seems that it depends on what country you had the Lap band placed as to which one it is.

As far as the Vagus nerve. I had a long discussion with my surgeon on this one. First the vagus nerve is a meandering nerve that starts in the brain and runs to the stomach, liver, and other places and one of its functions is to signal satiey ( fullness) when we have eaten enough. ( I think mine does NOT function!!!) One of the reasons that the band works is that when we eat, the tightening of the band stimulates the vagus nerve. When we have no restriction the vagus is not stimulated and we are still hungry. How much it is stimulated is different in everyone - the sweetspot. The discussion I had with my surgeon was if just the placement of the band was enough to stimulate the vagus and he said no. The band needs to have some restriction in order to stimute the vagus.

Thanks, Peachwood, I thought I was pretty inovative because I was asking for the Realize Band. In fact I was my Dr. first patient with the Realize(he has done hundreds of the Lap band) Now I am wondering which Realize band he used. The one thing that was weird to me is when I had my xray at the hospital the tech(never should have told me this, as I am always wanting to know why)they where amazed at my band being so high up compared to everyone else's. Of coarse I asked and was told it was placed ecactly where it was supposed to be. I hope that doesn't make a difference in pressing on the Vagus nerve. Plus I don't think my Vagus works either! Do you know if your band is placed real high? I know this is probably a dumb question, just curious. Thanks!

Eva

Milwaukee WI.

Age 58

lost 19 pounds

I have the Lap Band S which is apparently the smaller of the two bands. It is a new generation band that goes all the way around. It is supposed to have less complications in the long run. My doc says people have less episodes of throwing up with it. I have not had a restriction yet, so time will tell how effective it is.

I was banded on 2-13 can someone tell me how to record my weight loss with the cute graphics I see at the bottom of the posting. I have lost a total of 25 pounds.

Heya jackee!

Congrats on your weight loss! Great job!

As far as the weight loss counter at the bottom, just click on someone's counter (like mine) and it will take you to a site that will allow you to register and create your own.

Hope this helps!

:biggrin:

The Realize C band is the new generation of the Realize band. Instead of straight, it is precurved. There is only one size of the Realize band and I think they are both 10cc bands. THe Lap band had two sizes and a couple of models. It seems that it depends on what country you had the Lap band placed as to which one it is.

As far as the Vagus nerve. I had a long discussion with my surgeon on this one. First the vagus nerve is a meandering nerve that starts in the brain and runs to the stomach, liver, and other places and one of its functions is to signal satiey ( fullness) when we have eaten enough. ( I think mine does NOT function!!!) One of the reasons that the band works is that when we eat, the tightening of the band stimulates the vagus nerve. When we have no restriction the vagus is not stimulated and we are still hungry. How much it is stimulated is different in everyone - the sweetspot. The discussion I had with my surgeon was if just the placement of the band was enough to stimulate the vagus and he said no. The band needs to have some restriction in order to stimute the vagus.

i got the realize band on feb 28 and it was a 11cc. the surgeon put 4cc in at the time. this is suppose to be the newest model.

Eva B, I do not know if the band is placed higher than others. I will ask my surgeon that question when I see him next. My surgeon is one of 30 proctors for the new band (Realize C) I think they are the only ones who can put in the Realize C band right now. Supposedly the Realize band does not have as many problems with drier foods getting stuck like some of the meats. Something about the negative pressure of the band which I do not understand.

So we are the guinea pigs with this Realize band (either model). This band has actually been around awhile in Europe. I think it was called the Swedish band but J&J made some improvements and called it the Realize Band here in the US. It will be interesting to watch our journey with this band.

Yes. did you have your band done at NYU? actually i went back to read my operations report. it said that it was high as well. I won't see my surgeon until the 27th. I have lots of questions.

Your surgeon actually put in 4cc at surgery time! wow. Everyone is different. I will probably have to wait 8 weeks before I can get a fill. Just so I do not gain. I will see my surgeon on the 26th. Let's ask similar questions and compare the responses

I had my surgery at St.Peter's Universtiy Hospital in New Brunswick, NJ by Dr. Abkin.

I am so upset..I had my surgery Feb9th I was suppose to get my first fill this past friday and my surgeon said I was fine and because I am sick with a nasty sinus infection he wasnt doing it.Now I have to wait for another 2 weeks.And I am starting to get more hungry.Any advice.thank you:mad2:

I haven't heard much about the Realize Band but I thought the bands were supposed to be placed high on the stomach so the pouch was only about the size of a thumb. I have a 10cc Lap Band - since surgery I've some severe cravings but no hunger. I was banded Feb 10th just got the ok for soft foods on 3/4 and will be on this stage until my next appt on 4/8. Then the doctor will talk about when I can get a fill.

Jackee - Congrats on your weight loss. I hope things continue to go well for you.

I was banded on 2/25 in Portland, Oregon. It has been two weeks today since surgery and I am doing pretty good on liquids. I did have alot of gas pains and feel hungry alot, but doing very well I think!

I am looking forward to mushy stage starting tomorrow and wondering what I am going to eat......

I am so upset..I had my surgery Feb9th I was suppose to get my first fill this past friday and my surgeon said I was fine and because I am sick with a nasty sinus infection he wasnt doing it.Now I have to wait for another 2 weeks.And I am starting to get more hungry.Any advice.thank you:mad2:

I'm sorry your fill was cancelled. I was banded on 2/5, so it's been 5 weeks since my surgery. In that time I've lost exactly 40 pounds. My first fill is on 3/17 and I can't wait.

Like many others, I have been having the hunger pains, but it' more head hunger than anything. I find if I pop a piece of sugar free gum, or take a walk or do anything to distract myself for a few moments, it passes. My doctor doesn't believe in snacking or Protein Shakes, so my meals are small, but packed with Protein, calicum, and Fiber. I've discovered FiberOne (original) is a great tasting and crunchy alternative to chips. I eat 1/4 cup with every meal. Also, drinking Water between meals is essential to staying satisfied. I can honestly say that everytime I've gotten head hunger, it's when I have been slacking on my Fluid intake. I realize water gets boring, so to change it up a bit, get some crystal lite. I really enjoy the lemonade. It's tart and refreshing and is a great substitute for soda or sweet drinks. I'm also very careful about sugar intake. I tend to make sure the things I eat have a low content or are sugar substituted, as well as caffiene free. The dietician told me both of those things can increase your appetite.

I hope this helps. :mad2:

Sorry for double posting, but I wanted to share this poem with all those struggling and adjusting to their new lifestyle, because eventually, with enough courage, we'll all soon be walking another street and finally stop this cycle of self-destruction.

Poem In Five Chapters

By Portia Nelson

Chapter I

I walk down the street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I fall in.

I am lost ---- I am helpless ---- it isn’t my fault. . . . .

It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter II

I walk down the same street.

I pretend I don’t see it.

I fall in again.

I can’t believe I am in the same place ---- but it isn’t my fault. . . .

It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter III

I see it is there.

I still fall in . . . . It is a habit.

My eyes are open.

I know where I am.

It is my fault.

I get out immediately.

Chapter IV

I walk around it.

Chapter V

I walk down another street.

I was banded on 02/19/09. I've done fine just had a hard time adjusting to not being able to eat real food for so long. I'm so excited I get chicken and fish Friday!!! Good luck to all of us Fabulous February Bandsters!!!:mad2:

Hey Ale78

That's funny that you are thinking of telling you Mom that you are having hernia surgery because I was banded on 2/24 and that is the story I gave my adult children. Worked for me- and I did have a hernia repair.

Kitty