Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 months left of Dr visits and very nervous!!

:blush:This is my second time trying to go throught the steps to get approved for surgery. the first time my Dr. never wrote progress notes so the insurance company denied. I have 2 months ( Feb 9 & March 9) left of Dr. visits and then I'm done. I didn't lose more than 3 ibs the entire time. This time around we found I have sleep apnea and that will help me get approved.(I hope). I'm getting really nervous about being approved and can't wait to make the change to getting my life back. My insurance is GHI and I'm a NYC employee. Has anyone been approved by GHI?

I have had my psychological, stress test, sleep test, scope done ( I have a hernia that will be fixed when the port is put in), 6 month dr visit, nutritionist, chest xray, venus dobler and blood test, all done.

Does it hurt after having the surgery? Are you in a lot of pain?

:blush:This is my second time trying to go throught the steps to get approved for surgery. the first time my Dr. never wrote progress notes so the insurance company denied. I have 2 months ( Feb 9 & March 9) left of Dr. visits and then I'm done. I didn't lose more than 3 ibs the entire time. This time around we found I have sleep apnea and that will help me get approved.(I hope). I'm getting really nervous about being approved and can't wait to make the change to getting my life back. My insurance is GHI and I'm a NYC employee. Has anyone been approved by GHI?

I have had my psychological, stress test, sleep test, scope done ( I have a hernia that will be fixed when the port is put in), 6 month dr visit, nutritionist, chest xray, venus dobler and blood test, all done.

Does it hurt after having the surgery? Are you in a lot of pain?

The first day, I hurt enough for some liquid Lortab, but I stayed overnight due to severe sleep apnea and a hernia repair. The next day, I was good to go home and used liquid Tylenol for that little bit of pain I did feel. I've got a big old bottle of Lortab I've never even opened.

It's been a month, and I returned to work fairly quickly.

I wasn't in much pain at all. I don't know if I have a high threshold, or if I was just so glad to have the band it was easy for me to ignore things. I could tell I'd had surgery but it was nothing to get in a dither about. I slept in my bed from the first night (used a pillow to prop up my abdomen) and so on. Lortab, Vicodin, Hydrocodone all make me vomit so the doc gave me darvocet tabs and I took 2 doses worth on day 2 but otherwise just took tylenol and felt great. Walking walking walking (just around your house for spurts, don't have to do marathons) makes a HUGE difference in recovery. By and large those unlucky souls who feel bad and stay drugged and in bed don't bounce back as fast as those of us who get up and moving right away. Not to belittle anyone's pain, mind you...just if you have it but can get through it, the more normal you act the faster you'll "feel" normal.

And you may be like me...little to no pain or issues, just happy to have the band! :tongue2:

I agree with RestlessMonkey! You gotta get up and move as soon as you can and keep moving. It means less pain from the gas, more settling of your disturbed insides, more circulation, and faster healing.

You don't have to do a marathon, as Restless said. Take a walk. I could drive starting on Day 3 after surgery, and by golly walking around Wal-Mart was a whole lot better than staring mindlessly at the TV.

I just completed first month of Dr weight check. have 2 to go. I only lost 4 pounds for January and am hoping that I can stick to it better for the next 2 months. It just seems like I have sooo much to loose (225 pounds) and I just can't stick with it. The dr asked me today if I thought I could with the band and I said I hope so...I won't be hungry so that should solve the problem...

I just completed first month of Dr weight check. have 2 to go. I only lost 4 pounds for January and am hoping that I can stick to it better for the next 2 months. It just seems like I have sooo much to loose (225 pounds) and I just can't stick with it. The dr asked me today if I thought I could with the band and I said I hope so...I won't be hungry so that should solve the problem...

I don't know if "not hungry" is exactly correct. While you do get full A LOT faster, you do still occasionally get hungry. It's just not as overwhelming. (Patting my band area)

Your band is your partner in self-control, IMHO. You can easily get around the restriction. After all, ice cream could easily pass the stoma! It's up to you to change and exercise your will power into "won't power."

Everything you're learning now is the preparation for the big event. It's like warming up before you run a marathon. You don't stretch those muscles, you're likely to falter and possibly even fall.

Don't expect perfection. You're learning. Everything you do now is for your benefit. You'll do better on the liver-reduction pre-surgery diet, and when the big day finally comes, you'll be ready to sail smoothly through the liquids, the mushies, and straight on to steady, permanent weight loss.

Looking back at my post, not hungry wasn't the right words to convey what I meant. Thanks for those words of advice, that pretty much sums up everything lap band is about, imo. That's also where I get really scared. I have been trying to loose weight for 20 years and haven't been able to do it, so why is the lap band going to change it when I can eat around it too? I feel there is more support (follow ups with the dr) and it is a tool to control hunger. Somedays the mountain top feels so unreachable that I wonder why bother, but that is what got me to almost 400 pounds in the first place. I need to do this one way or the other for me, for my boys so they have a mom and for my husband so he has a wife.

Thanks again for the reply.

Oh, I hear you on that one IowaMom! A healthy weight seems so far away, doesn't it?

See if this idea works for you-- Don't focus on the far away goals, but instead on something closer. Losing 5-10 pounds before your surgery would be a decent accomplishment.

I'd suggest taking up walking, but I'd imagine that would be darned uncomfortable right now. Maybe in a few months.

Lena-

Thanks for the reply! I know it's the little goals that end up making the big one come true! I have been walking off and on at the mall since it is to cold to walk outside most days, especially with a 2 year old. He does pretty good walking but he also has therapies and other "school" like things (he has autistic like characteristics) that we have to do during the week so that makes it hard to get the walking in everyday...I know excuses. I am really trying to find something that works because I know I will have to after surgery.

How did your surgery go? Are you still on liquids?

Hi gang. Lovn the feedback and inspiration. i can't believe I am so close to being done with dr. visits to get approval. I go monday and then again the 9th of March. I hope my insurance covers this. I am planning my life as if it will becaue of all my medical issues and for now having sleep apnea. I am planning ther rest of my helathy life; the way my life used to be and what I am going to do to keep it from happening again!!!!!!!

My kids never knew the real me only the fat mom. They never saw me run and play and get down on the floor and get back up without rolling to my knees and holding onto something.!!!!!My husband will be able to hold me and "I" will feel confiddent that he really loves me for who I am and I will love "myself" again. The only big bite I'll Iver take is out of that nasty tasting word OBESITY!!!!!!!! (Gog I hope I get approved)

ALL MY PRETESTING IS DONE

Erin:eek::)

Lena-

Thanks for the reply! I know it's the little goals that end up making the big one come true! <snip> I am really trying to find something that works because I know I will have to after surgery.

How did your surgery go? Are you still on liquids?

Finding a program that works can be challenging. I'm doing anything I can because my job is so sedentary. Sitting on my butt in this chair definitely isn't helping me lose the blubber.

My surgery went great! I had to stay overnight because I have such severe sleep apnea, but I was ready to go the next morning! I took maybe a couple of doses of liquid Tylenol, and that's been it for pain.

I was on liquids for about two weeks, and then mushies for a week or so, then solids. I may be one of the lucky ones who end up with the doc already having found my "sweet spot." Even though I'm on solids, I still can't eat more than three ounces, tops. Today is my first "fill day" at the doc's office, and I'm not sure he needs to put anything in!

I'm dropping weight at a good but healthy rate, and my DH gets his giggles by running up behind me and yanking my jeans off my hips! Needless to say, I've a large pile of clothes to be altered down. Good thing I can sew!

Well, the family's awakening. Guess I'd better hurry up with this pile of emails! Hugs and much love!

Congrats on every thing going great!!! and making this change!!!

I have really severe sleep apnea (AHI was 110) but dr hasn't said anything about having to spend the night. (Not having to stay is why I decided lap band vs gastric, with 2 little kids...)

Congrats on every thing going great!!! and making this change!!!

I have really severe sleep apnea (AHI was 110) but dr hasn't said anything about having to spend the night. (Not having to stay is why I decided lap band vs gastric, with 2 little kids...)

Doc gave me the choice before surgery to spend the night or not. Based on my previous history of being very hard to wake up after anesthesia and the fact that I'm on Coumadin (a blood thinner) for the rest of my life, I elected to stay overnight for the special monitoring. My DH is a very restless sleeper, so I'm glad I was protected and under observation for one night.

BTW, no fill yesterday. Doc says I'm in the sweet spot :biggrin:, so we're fine as is. I'm happy!

Lena