Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in the process of the six month nutritionist supervised diet and i was scheduled for a sleep study appointment to see if i have sleep apnea. I am wondering if anyone else has gone through this same process and if they were told they had sleep apnea what problems they encountered because of it. Also how if what did it change during your surgery. Did you have to wear the machine during surgery. Anything you can tell me about this will help. Thanks

I am in the process of the six month nutritionist supervised diet and i was scheduled for a sleep study appointment to see if i have sleep apnea. I am wondering if anyone else has gone through this same process and if they were told they had sleep apnea what problems they encountered because of it. Also how if what did it change during your surgery. Did you have to wear the machine during surgery. Anything you can tell me about this will help. Thanks

I had the sleep study - it came back as mild sleep apnea, so I didn't need the CPAP or anything like that. All they told me is that they feel the surgery will cure the mild apnea. From what I have heard if you do need the CPAP you do have to take it with you to the hospital and it's important for them to know and monitor your breathing.

Many overweight people have sleep apnea, it is considered a "co morbidity" of obesity. Of course, if your weight CAUSES the apnea, then losing will CURE the apnea. Most sleep apnics are tired all the time even if they "think" they got a good night's sleep. Over time apnea can cause many problems including heart attack or stroke. Many people, facing lap band, are tested for apnea in order to fulfill insurance requirements.

If you do have it, you may be prescribed a cpap machine which will help you keep breathing throughout the night so you can rest well. It will not impact your surgery; you will be intubated and on oxygen during surgery regardless. Post op your doc may want you to bring it to the hospital; it will be up to him, depending on your diagnosis and degree.

Not all overweight people have it (I don't) and not all people with sleep apnea have obesity as a cause.

Hope that answers your questions.

I have sleep apnea and use a cpap machine. The doctor asked me to bring my machine with me the day of surgery in case they needed to use it in the recovery room. They didn't need to. The sleep study was interesting. They hook you to a million leads all over your body then say, relax and sleep. Somehow I managed to! Getting the cpap was one of the best things I ever did. I sleep so much better and am not a zombie anymore. I hope that as my weight falls of, I will be able to eliminate using it! Good luck!

Swellmom and I are very alike. I have severe sleep apnea, and I had to bring my machine to the hospital. Due to other problems caused or made worse by my obesity, I had to stay overnight in the hospital and my CPAP machine was a godsend. (Patting the little black box that saved my career.)

Since surgery, my apnea has already improved in just one month. I went in to get some supplies for my machine and brought the SmartCard. A download from the card revealed I have less than one episode per night now! That's an amazing turnaround.

The test isn't painful at all. The sleep center where I took my test was decorated like a small hotel room and very comfy. They do want you to sleep well, after all. (grin) If you do end up diagnosed with apnea, be grateful they caught it. The pleasure of that first night with an adjusted machine set just for you is wonderful and refreshing. Okay, so you feel a bit like Darth Vader. The restful sleep is well worth feeling as if you'll say, "Luke! I am your father!" (giggle)