Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Definately Unhappy....

There is one in every group and you should not have to suffer for it. I was told the fill should be enough to make you feel full. I just had one done Friday, and I feel full faster and longer. I know in order for my band to do it job, I have to do mine. I am still 90 pounds from goal, but I have lost 104 pounds since 4/15/05 in the first 90-100 days and then it slowed down. I had to go back and review the rules again and I am back on course. Chew, chew, chew. small bites and make it take longer to eat, no Water 30-60 minutes before and after. I will say I do sip water once and awhile while I eat depending on the item, but not enought to wash it through the band. I have had so much fun being banded and losing the weight. It is so much better for me that all the diets out there. I am not an expert on the band, but I have barfed with the best, if I can help, let me know.

Going back every two weeks for fills?! You've got to be kidding. I would never have been banded if that had been the deal.

I am so glad I went to Dr Ortiz in Mexico. Other than being in Mexico (which I will admit can have its disadvatages, although I experienced none) the whole experience was less hassle than surgeries I've had in the US. I like that I can call & get a fill when *I* feel like I need one. It gives me the responsibility and control and I like it that way.

BTW, I have had NO fills and have lost 33# since banding 6/2. No, I'm not super restricted--but enough to remind me to stop eating and that's working fine for now. I think it's a mistake to depend on this thing. All that "it's a TOOL" stuff is for real. YOU are still in CONTROL.

NeeCee, that sounds pretty much like USA protocol. Did you go all the way up to 2cc's or did you mean .2cc's. Usually, in the US they will give you .5cc's to begin with & go up in .2cc increments.

Don't all jump on me if that's not been your experience; it was what I was told by Dory @ LIBariatrics. Also, FYI, she's the one who did aftercare for the celebrity from NY Mag, etc. Dateline is coming to next week's support group. They already filmed her port revision & major plastic surgery in TJ; I can't wait to go the support group. Sorry to veer so much off the topic, just wanted to tell you all where I heard the protocol info. I think a lot of it depends on whether they use fluoro or not. The do tend to be more conservative when it's not used.

Mandy-

I HAD THE SAME ISSUE!!!!

I'm constantly asking how much my band is filled to, and they REFUSE to tell me! They say it shouldn't matter to me... it makes me so mad!

If I want to know, then the should tell me! I paid $15,000... I have a right to have an answer to every question I have, regardless how "pointless" they think it is!

I've also heard that he is "wonderful". Don't get me wrong, at times he's been really nice to me... but I've just not been as happy as I should be.

I'm compairing my situation to my best friend who got her surgery done at Loyola... she was about 30 lbs heavier than me pre-surgery, and she lost over 100 lbs in a year... even WHILE SHE WAS PREGNANT!

I've told her everything I'm going through, and she's utterly baffled. She said she did NOTHING after her surgery.. she never watched what she ate, drank... never exercised... nothing.

It makes me wonder if I'm some kind of freak that will never lose weight, no matter how hard I try!

Chattropper and Mandy-

I had the same dr. and have had a very different experience-

I'm not negating anything you've been thru at all- I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience-

I've had one fill and a little extra fill- and now I feel restriction and am losing- slowly- but surely.

I know not everyone's experiences are the same- mine has been great.

I just felt like I should put this out there- I really hope things are getting better for you guys and wish you the very best.

Take Care of yourself.

I think it's more another Dr. at that office that I've been unhappy with more than the main Dr., with the exception of my over-fill situation. I don't want to call anyone out so I'd rather not bring up names. There is one particular person in that office that I really dislike. As far as the head Dr. goes, I don't doubt his skills at all. I've heard he's great at what he does and I wouldn't undermind that at all. I think I've just been really unhappy with the amount of support and information made available to me by the Doctors. Whenever I ask them a question, they really aren't too interested in answering it or explaining anything. THAT really bothers me. Part of a doctors job is consulting with their patients- esp. if those patients are paying them $15,000.

Teresa,

What a blast from the past, not you but your location. I grew up in elementary school in greenbriar, then chantilly. In junior high we moved to Vienna. I lived at Fair Oaks Mall and Tysons Corner. Funny-LOL. Memories.