Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you say that most people who lose 100 pounds need a tummy tuck?

I've been banded 5 months, down 48 pounds and probably will need to lose another 50 pounds. In your opinion, do you think that just about everyone who looses 100 pounds or more could use a Tummy Tuck? I hadn't really thought about needing one because I never thought that I would actually be able to lose that much weight! I'm 49 years old so I don't think my skin has alot of elasticity to it to rebound from being so much overweight for the past 10 years or so. Just wondering if I should start researching plastic surgery so that I'll be ready if and when I need it. Additional info - I carry all of my excess weight in my stomach area and I am very short - 4' 10".

If you're short and rotund through the middle, then yes, I'd start researching. Its likely you will need a Tummy Tuck.

Need is defined differently by different people. I'm tall - 5ft 10 and was pear shaped, I always had a flattish stomach. I lost 100lb. I've had 3 babies. I would "like" some way to make my stomach perfect, but I'm not sure I would trade the scars for the minor problem I have. But the next person might say I "need" a tummy tuck. I've had a bit of fun wearing a bikini for the first time since I was 12, but I can always NOT wear one if I dont want to show a few rolls and wrinkles. So do I "need" it?

One thing's for sure, though. Virtually NOBODY escapes a 100lb weight loss without some signs of it on their body. Its just some more than others.

I would ask you how your skin is now? It should give you an idea.

I have found that, even at 51, my skin will get loose and flappy, but then will "snap back". So it's not clear to me that I will *need* PS. In fact, I had a free PS consult at an OH event and the doctor was impressed with my arms. They looked a lot like some of his "after" pix! :thumbup:

So I think, having lost 50 lb., you probably have an idea of how your skin is responding and where you are on the skin elasticity scale.

My surgeon says only about 1/3 of his practice ends up getting PS, btw. So that says to me that everyone who loses 100 lb. doesn't need it.

I'd say it has a lot to do w/ your skin & shape too. I am short w/ most of my weight in my belly, & have had three babies, will lose around 80lbs all together. SOOOO, I think I will be needing a TT eventually. I can already see my skin sagging after losing 30 lbs. Good luck!

Agreeing with all the above.

I just want to say, I probably 'need' a Tummy Tuck. I have had 3 kids, have terrible stretch marks and lost over 100 pounds.

But, some days, I think, you know what? I look good, IN CLOTHES. I don't think a tummy tuck would make me look much better IN CLOTHES. Maybe I'd lose an inch or two from the side. So I am wondering if an inch or two in clothes is going to be worth the 10 grand or whatever it is.

I am still considering it though. Nothing saying I can't do it in a year, two or five.

I guess what I am saying is once you get to goal, you will have time to consider all your options.

Good luck with the rest of your journey. Goal is friggen awesome.

Agreeing with all the above.

I just want to say, I probably 'need' a Tummy Tuck. I have had 3 kids, have terrible stretch marks and lost over 100 pounds.

But, some days, I think, you know what? I look good, IN CLOTHES. I don't think a tummy tuck would make me look much better IN CLOTHES. Maybe I'd lose an inch or two from the side. So I am wondering if an inch or two in clothes is going to be worth the 10 grand or whatever it is.

I am still considering it though. Nothing saying I can't do it in a year, two or five.

I guess what I am saying is once you get to goal, you will have time to consider all your options.

Good luck with the rest of your journey. Goal is friggen awesome.

Yes, I agree. We'll have to see how I look & feel at goal. I still have a good 50-55 lbs to go.

Very generally speaking, no, I don't think most people who lose 100 lbs "need" a TT. Add 50 lbs to that and I think the numbers change dramatically.

As everyone has already said, height, age, skin elasticity, personal satisfaction (clothed/unclothed goals) etc. all factor in greatly.

For me personally, TT was the best 5 hours I ever spent!

I have lost around 91 pounds, and will need a boob lift but tummy is ok, I work out 5 days a week, and legs are great better than when I was a teen.

good luck

Weird things can happen too - I've had 3 babies but my lower abdomen is completely and utterly flat, no overhang whatsoever. What excess skin I have is on my upper belly, its really strange. My belly button frowns and the skin kind of droops in the centre of the upper stomach. But I was NEVER fat there.

I need some sort of upside down Tummy Tuck. My stomach looks way better when I pull the skin up towards my breasts, not down as in a traditional tummy tuck.

my colleague has had 3 kids, went from a 16 to an 8 and yet her skin is as tight as a teenager's.

I, only the other hand, have had four kids, lost 60lbs and look like my lower body has melted into a pool of skin.

Hi

well I just had lap band done in december and my goal is to loose around 80 to 100 lbs, but I am nervous about loose skin and if im going to have surgery afterwards. I am only 20 and most of my fat wasnt just in one area it was kind of spread out evenly with my legs arms tummy hips and etc. im not short but im not tall im about 5'6 so do you think im going to have to have some type or surgery for excess skin???

weight.png

Weird things can happen too - I've had 3 babies but my lower abdomen is completely and utterly flat, no overhang whatsoever. What excess skin I have is on my upper belly, its really strange. My belly button frowns and the skin kind of droops in the centre of the upper stomach. But I was NEVER fat there.

I need some sort of upside down Tummy Tuck. My stomach looks way better when I pull the skin up towards my breasts, not down as in a traditional tummy tuck.

There is a procedure called a "reverse Tummy Tuck" where the skin resection is from the top. The scar is within the breast crease. It is not common, but is done for people who only need tightening above the belly button.

I'm 57 -- have lost about 60lbs and have about 30 more to go. So far my skin is coming back surprisingly well. I have been significantly overweight and steadily gaining for about 30 years. Breast are drooping but they were large before I gained any weight. I'm headed for a breast reduction very soon (days). I'm apple shaped. My PS saw my belly the other day and remarked that I was really coming along very well. No signs of hanging skin except I MIGHT be headed for bat wings. I really can't say because it could just be fat that will go as I lose the rest of the weight. I do have SOME small amount of loose skin on my neck. If it doesn't go away -- I will do something about it. It could be that I will see some hanging skin within the last 30lbs but so far so good. I HOPE Grandma's genes keep working for me!

I'm 57 -- ...I'm headed for a breast reduction very soon (days). ....
Good luck with your surgery. Let us know how it goes.

I have been told you should wait at least two years after you hit your goal weight before you consider plastic surgery to rid yourself of extra skin to give the skin a chance to catch up.

That being said, after I finish paying off the surgery I'll be saving to get rid of my bat wings. I have wings before the surgery so I can't really hope they will magically disappear after. Maybe I can sacrifice twinkies to the god of shrinkage and hope for the best?