Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

has this happend to anyone??????

hello everyone! I guess, unfortunately that this is this is where this post belongs because I posted this same message on the regular site and nobody had any response or comments about it.but I am wondering if anyone has had anything like this happen to them?My surgery was a disaster! I arrived at the hospital mon.1/19/09,told them I did'nt feel well the night before,they took my temp. 99.9 and said they were going to do surgery anyways.nurse takes my blood and ends up bleeding me all over the floor(she actually ran for a roll of paper towels cuz she did'nt want the Dr. to see.)into O.R. at 12:00,out around 1:00 came out of anesthesia at 3:00, 3;30 they rushed me out the door barely coherent , went home and tried to get up to use the restroom at 7:00, passed out cold! called hosp. they just said lay down. passed out 2 more times that night(anytime I tried to stand up) crawled to my car the next day so hubby could bring me back in, turns out I was bleeding internally, had to stay overnite and got 2 blood tranfusions!!!!! 7days later and I still feel terrible. I hope that nbody has gone through this but I have never read of anyone having anything close to this happen, is that possible?????

Bella: So sorry you are going through this scary medical emergency.

I ahve not heard of anyone else going through this. I hope you recovery quickly.

Best regards!

Were you on any sort of blood thinner? And if so the doc should of told you to get off of them a week or two before surgery. Do you have a blood clot disorder?

I'm so sorry that that happened to you. I thought that if there was any sign of fever or illness that they cancel surgeries. With one of my back surgeries I just had a sniffle and they cancelled it. I hope you feel better soon!

Who was your surgeon and what hospital? If they treat patients like this, maybe others should be warned!!! This sounds close to malpractice to me, especially if you have any long lasting ill effects. Make sure your doctors are listening to you from here on out, DEMAND attention. If you don't get it, go elsewhere and report your treatment to the hospital board/board of medicine in your state. I hope you are healing well, and recover quickly.

Hello.

It sounds like you had a rough time. My surgery went well although I eventually had the band removed due to swallowing and unfortunately the situation is still bad even though the band is gone. By the way, who is your doctor. I live near you and I wonder if by chance we had the same doctor.

Private Dancer7

Hey dancer, My Dr. was Dr. Milton Owens at Rancho Specialty Hospital (Rancho Cucamonga) and I wish I could speak to another patient of his to see if they had any problems,he was terrible in every way! could you elaborate on why you had your band removed? I haven't even had a fill yet but I'm scared of what will happen to me next! Nikki

my Dr. said that he must have cut knicked a blood vessel during surgery ,but I was'nt bleeding when he closed me up. I'll never know the truth, this surgeon was suppose to have 20 years experience w/ bariatric surgery. Just make sure you try to talk to other patients that have used your DR. before your surgery, I wish I had

I had difficulty swallowing food shortly after surgery. The situation got worse and my doctor was very concerned about giving me a fill. He did give me one fill and had to take it out because it immediatley made my problem worse. What is so strange is that even after removal I still have swallowing episodes which means that something has been altered. I just pray that if and when I have surgery again-hopefully for the last time-the situation can be corrected.

Private Dancer7

Inland Empire

Bella,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Wow! I’m very sorry to read that your procedure did not go well! I think you might fall into that "1.5% complication category" or whatever the rate actually is.

I received my band from Dr. Owens many moons ago. I suspect I was a textbook case as I was in and out and healed quickly with zero complications. He did take note that my pancreas did nto look normal but a follow up scan showed it was okay. I suppose, as with all operations, complications can, and sometimes do, occur.<o:p></o:p>

I've had, I think, 6 fills, maybe 5 in the years I've been with Dr. Owens. I've gotten to know him as well as one can with a surgeon and I have always felt completely comfortable recommending him which I can't say of every doctor I've known. I even researched Dr. Owens (and others) prior to ever having met him. He has an impressive surgical background and he's done some real ground breaking work throughout his career.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Anyway, I’m ranting. Sorry. Please feel to contact me.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Dan<o:p></o:p>

Thanks for all the responses and support! I am 6 weeks out from surgery now and feeling much better, my strength and energy is finally back, if only I could lose some weight now (only down 5 lbs since surgery) yesterday I had my 2nd fill (at 5.5ccs now) maybe that will do the trick,fingers crossed!!!

I know what you feel like. I think 1/19/09 was a bad day for surgery because mine was the same day. I had a very long and extensive stay in the hospital and still am receiving home therapy to build my strength back. My doc removed an adhesion off my spleen and that started bleeding and bled out internally for 22 hours before going back to surgery to have my spleen removed. I spent 2 and half weeks on a vent and was trached as well. I developed pneumonia and a lung condition called ARDS. I am still at home and recovering, but am getting stronger. I have also developed tremors from the surgery, hoping that will all go away. I have lost 32 pounds but that was all in the hopital. I have not yet had a fill and don't know when I will, I just feel like the food I eat is more important know to get back my strength and if I gain a few back that is ok with me.

Good luck to you and I pray for you have a speedy recovery. If you would like to stay in touch you can e-mail me at rhondatur357@yahoo.com I would really like to know how you are doing in the months to come.

Thanks for all the responses and support! I am 6 weeks out from surgery now and feeling much better, my strength and energy is finally back, if only I could lose some weight now (only down 5 lbs since surgery) yesterday I had my 2nd fill (at 5.5ccs now) maybe that will do the trick,fingers crossed!!!

Bella,

I must say that I am very glad to read that you are doing better! I have thought of you a few times since my reply to your post. I suspect you will eventually enjoy the benefits of the band. For me, it took quite some time before I got to where I needed to be in terms of restriction (fills). I always had good result for 4-6 weeks after a fill but my most recent fill, and possibly my last, has really put me in my place. :rolleyes:.

I wish you the best.

Dan