Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preggy progress/Updates/Tell us how you're doing!

I am going to go in for flouro to get it checked out. Although I didn't want to think it could be true, a small slip could be a possibility. If it did slip, I know when it happened . . . it was the last day in the hospital after delivering the baby. They gave me a pain pill, the first I had taken of the kind (maybe darvocet or percocet, I can't remember the name). It made me sick to my stomach and I started vomiting quite a bit. Afterwards my back hurt and I couldn't eat very well at all for the next couple of weeks.

Hey Heather.. I have heard that hormone levels can make the band tighter even when there is no fill.. and after having a baby I know it takes a couple of months for your hormones to balance out.. especially if you are breast feeding.. so it could just be that.. (one of the nurses at my LB center.. had a daughter with the same issue.. so she didnt get a fill for like 6 months after.. so she warned me about feeling tight near the end of my PG and after)

also there is supposed to be no risk of the band slipping if you throw up when the band is deflated. that is why I had all my fill taken out with this pregnancy. because I threw up every day with my first.. I was told by my doctors that I didnt have to worry and that it was safe to throw up. I have noticed that after I threw up that the bad was tighter.. but I think that is because my stomach was irritated from throwing up.

I have noticed all thru this pregnancy that even with no fill sometimes I am tight and sometimes I have no problems at all.. breads and dry meats have continued to be a problem.. not that I PB'd I havent done that.. but that they were just hard or slightly uncomfortable going down..

I also didnt get a fill for months after my LB surgery because I was tight with no fill.. sO I think there are lots of variables.. keep us posted.. I am really interested to know if you slipped.. I hope that all is well and its just something that will go away.

I just want to give everyone a quick update on me. I have been really sick and vomiting daily with horrid reflux since my last day in the hospital after having Ayla. I have had an empty band since January. I saw a doctor twice for it but they gave me anti nausea meds and sent me on my merry way. The doctor really didn't think it could be the band because my band was empty. Now I have learned the hard way, you can get a slip on an empty band.

At the beginning of last week I just couldn't take it anymore and scheduled a self pay flouroscopy which is 4 hours away from here. The scanned me and saw the barium never passed through the band, it went into a dilated pouch and got stuck there . . . with an immediate need to vomit. The band was hanging vertically as well and nothing made sense on the x-ray. The doctors first thought was possible erosion or the worst slip he has ever seen. So they did an emergency EGD and scoped my stomach to see what was up. I needed emergency surgery to repair or remove the band and was scheduled for 7:00 AM the next morning.

Then they drew my blood and found that my potassium was at 2.5 which is critically low. Low enough that I should have been having heart problems. The nurse told me that had I been much older or weaker before I got sick I could have died. So I was admitted to the hospital last Wednesday and had to go on IV pottasium for 2 days before they could get my potassium high enough for an anesthesiologist to even consider putting me under.

Well, I had an emergency band replacement onn Friday. It was self pay and wiped out our family savings.

So I am sitting here uncomfortable not able to sleep and drugged up on hydrocodone. I lost my original Realize band and now have an Allergan model. I look very pregnant again because my whole midsection is so swollen. I was 127 pounds last Wednesday but now I am 144. I think it is retained fluids and my whole body looks thick and puffy, especially my legs and around my eyes. I am mourning the loss of my savings but happy I still have a band.

So here I go again on the banded journey, only this time it is step one all over again. I have been all weepy and sad for days. I am pretty sure that pregnancy had a lot to do with my band woes. I am afraid to get pregnant again.

Anyways, please send some positive energy and thoughts my way. I could sure use them.

Heather, I am so sorry about your band trouble and the fact that the doctor let it go on for so long. Babies are very worth it, but yeah, they are pushing and kicking on EVERYTHING. Your hormones are out of wack, but if the weepiness continues, please speak to your doctor about it. You have had a birth and then another surgery back to back. Be careful. You don't want postpartum depression to get a firm hold on you.

I hope you recuperation from surgery is quick. I will be praying for your recovery.

Wow Heather.. I am so sorry.. that is my worst fear! I am so sorry that you have had to go through this.

Its so bothersome that you are told things by your dr that may not even be true.. like its safe to throw up if the band is opened. I have had bad problems with gas being trapped below my band and its painful at times.. I have gone to the drs and they just scratch their heads..

I am so thankful for the band but its interesting to find out after the fact that the things they say shouldnt happen do. i lost 30 lbs and have gained 29lb so far with this pregnancy and I would do the band all over again with the risks and all.. its far better than being trapped!

I am praying for a speedy recovery for you. You will lose all that Water weight and your baby will just be one blessing after another! I promise. Children are so much fun to watch grow.

please keep us posted on your progress! youre a champ!!

heather, I am so sorry for what you are going through and worst still, self pay :) I can't imagine having to go thorugh the op again and having to pay for it. It doesn't seem right you have to pay twice :thumbup:

All my positive energy is comingyour way and I wish you a speedy recovery and a more positive band journey this time round. How are you coping with a baby and recovering from surgery?

Yeah with the band complications, money issues, being a new mom in general, I think delayed PP has hit me. I am going to my PCP tomorrow to get something temporarily.

Hopefully, I can say it will help Heather :mad:)

Thanks everyone. I am actually feeling much better already. I never thought I could enjoy a liquid diet . . . but liquid diet is better than not being able to eat at all. Just having energy again has improved my mood greatly.

Thanks everyone. I am actually feeling much better already. I never thought I could enjoy a liquid diet . . . but liquid diet is better than not being able to eat at all. Just having energy again has improved my mood greatly.

I'm just checking in the first time for over a week and ...girl...you have been through alot! Thank you for sharing your story, I will be SURE to tell the docs I NEED something to keep me from throwing up if AT ALL possible! I seriously have not been worried about it at all, but you gave us all a reality check here.

I am so glad you are able to get some liquids down again and now that you can drink Water, you will flush all that excess liquid out and be lighter than you were-i'm sure of it! Hold on, be strong, love your baby and keep us up to date!!

-Renee

Heather.. I am glad you're feeling better. :laugh: hang in there!

I have a question to everyone who has been or is PG with the band and is near the end. I am 34 weeks and I am really sore at the top of my abs where my port is.. not necessarily the port itself or just the area around the port.. but more like the top section of my abs.. it doesnt hurt persay.. just sore and uncomfy.. especially when my little one decides to stretch out and put his/her feet in my ribs.

anyone else notice this??

Heather.. I am glad you're feeling better. :blink: hang in there!

I have a question to everyone who has been or is PG with the band and is near the end. I am 34 weeks and I am really sore at the top of my abs where my port is.. not necessarily the port itself or just the area around the port.. but more like the top section of my abs.. it doesnt hurt persay.. just sore and uncomfy.. especially when my little one decides to stretch out and put his/her feet in my ribs.

I think almost every pregnant women feels this way in late pregnancy, banded or not. I could definitely feel some soreness. I think it is even worse when the baby is head down because that is feets up and available to pummel your ribs, lol.

thanks Heather.. I didnt think I remembered this with my first pregnancy.. but we forget.. and thats why we do it again :lol:

its probably just my abs being sore.. which is possibly from them being kicked so hard :blink:

are you feeling better??

So i had my ultrasound on 9/8/09 and everything went well i thought i was 8 weeks and 6 days but the baby measured 9 weeks and 2 days so my new due date is April 11th, 2010...The heartbeat was nice and strong at 180 beats...cant wait for my next ultrasound to find out what we are havin!! Hope all u mommy's and mommy's to be are doin great!

Heather.. I am glad you're feeling better. :bored: hang in there!

Girl you are getting soooo close...I really envy you right now...I'M SO DONE BEING PREGNANT! My knees hurt, my back hurts, I can't stop pee'ing, my crotch hurts and i'm tired of being sweaty....TMI-I KNOW I'M A WHINER BUT I NEEDED TO GET THIS OFF MY CHEST!

How are you? Keep us posted, I want pics as soon as your bundle of joy arrives!! I'm planning on taking my laptop to the hospital with me to give me something to do when laying there for 3 days.

Bye for now,

Renee

Hey Renee,

Hang in there! ya the end is the worst! although I am tired and really want to meet my little one. chasing my 2 year old gives me a feeling that its ok if the baby stays in a little longer! :bored: I cant imagine having both! Also I am starting to get nervous about labor.. not necessarily labor itself.. but being exhausted when labor starts! I have my 36 week appointment tomorrow and I know my midwives are wanting me to do acupucture at 37weeks to get my body going on this labor thing :smile2: I am trying for a vaginal after cesarian so they want me to have my best fighting chance of going into labor since I cant be induced.. it freaks me out that it could even be sooner than 40wks!!

anyways. I will try to post pictures..:lol: you'll have plenty to do at the hospital for 3 days.. like sleep and goo over your little man!!

Hi guys! It's time for a LONG overdue update. Heather, CKelly, Shrinknme, and everyone else, I am glad and lucky you have been posting updates, you are all on my mind constantly, I just don't have the time to get on here as much as I used to. Heather, I am SOOO sorry things got so bad with your band and general health before they figured out what was going on, thank God you're ok girl!

Baby Abe is now almost 8 weeks old, I returned to work this past Monday and it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, leaving him. My hubby took this week off work to help me feel better about leaving him...it's easier knowing he's at home with Daddy than at daycare, but Monday is coming and that's when he starts inhome daycare. We really like the provider we found, it's just a rough emotional thing to do. I love being a mommy! I'm already wanting more..we will probably start trying when he's close to 2 yrs old..it's amazing. I did struggle with the baby blues for about 3 weeks after he was born, not all the time, but just adjusting was rough. I had a lot of difficulty for several weeks with breastfeeding and lack of sleep, so it made everything harder. I saw a lactation consultant 4 times! I am proud I stuck with the breastfeeding, I don't think I was prepared for how difficult it would be to learn and do..I am constantly telling my 2 pregnant friends tips and such for when they deliver in a few months. Abe had difficulty latching on and we use a nipple shield, as well as giving him formula because I'm just not producing enough milk.

So far, all is pretty good, I'm still adjusting to this major new life, money is tight due to now paying daycare and the medical bills are already rolling in, so it will be a tight couple of months until we are comfortable again. The biggest problem I'm having is band tightness...it started 2 or 3 weeks ago and I have it almost every meal...I take a few bites, get tight, slime, occasionally PB, but mostly just have gassyness and slime for up to an hour or two after I try to eat...it eventually passes and then I can eat most of that meal. I kept my fill for whole pregnancy, and I really don't want to unfill at all now, because I don't have much fill in there to begin with, and I'm averaging about 1 lb a week in weight loss, which I'm happy with..I am just annoyed with the band right now. Any tips?

Sorry this was long! I missed your advice and support and hope all is well out there in banded preggo land!