Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband surgery has opened my eyes!

Since I have had the surgery I have been doing a lot of reading on nutrition and healthy eating. I have learned so much and everything makes so much sense to me now.

It's no wonder why America is an over weight country. In the evening I watch television and its one fast food chain after another. One snack food after another. It's amazing how we as a people are so brain washed by advertisments! For example the stupid White castle commercial about their new burger. It shows a guy sitting at his dinning room table eating this french style burger while he is watching his housekeeper clean. All of a sudden she is this hot little maid in a french maids uniform making eyes at him! What is this supposed to tell us? That if we eat this burger it will make our dull, boring lives better????

Don't even get me started on the Paris Hilton commercial! I understand that sex sells and all that garbage but hey...if you eat this stuff on a regular basis your health declines, you get fat and well....how much sex will you get???

I don't know maybe it's just me but I think its horrible how everyone complains that Americans are fat and lazy and then they put out commercials like this.

Thanks for letting me vent and most of all thanks for listening!

I really agree with you. just this semester take a Nutrition class has really opened my eyes to so many things. I DO NOT eat fast food.. unless im dying to eat and thats all there is. but I saw that movie, Super Size me and it really changed my mind on fast food. even the salads there have just as many calories as a hamburger. Yeah and they do think sex sells, and really it does...I guess we all have this mental chemical in out brain saying "ohhhh im going to get that so i can look like that" lol well you know.... Im rammbling now... good post!

I agree with you too. The media is wicked !!

Its just like the plus size magazines I get. I mean come on, each of those women modeling a "size 20" isnt bigger than a size 3. Talk about false advertising LOL.

You know what else the media does. Have you ever noticed that its okay for a man to be over weight and not women? Example, look at the TV shows that are currently on.

1. King of Queens - Fat man, thin pretty lady

2. According To Jim - Fat man, thin pretty lady

3. Still Standing - Fat man, thin pretty lady

And why is it funny for a bunch of overweight men to paint their bellies at a football game, eat and drink like mad and sit there shaking it around? Now if women did that, it wouldn't be considered funny.

Rant over LOLOL *giggle*

Australia is fast on your heels unfortunately. Over the past few decades our culture has become increasingly Americanised and that includes the fast food and processed food and people are getting fatter and fatter.

We're still blessed to have an abundance of wonderful fresh food in this country, but with people's increasingly busy lifestyles they're turning away from it.

A good deal of my weight problem has come from not so much binge eating but just relying on too much processed food - meal starters, packaged sauces, gravies etc. Lord knows what else is in all that stuff!

I find what helps me is I buy my fruit and vegies from an organic producer, get them home delivered. It costs an arm and a leg, they are SO expensive but I get that huge big box and it's all absolutely delicious and because it's cost a fortune, I dont want to waste it. I find therefore that I'm planning our meals around the fruit and veg rather than plonking a hunk of meat on the plate and decorating it with a bit of broccoli.

I've lost a bit of weight, not a lot but I feel so much better getting in a couple of pieces of fruit and at least 4 different vegetables every day. We had a Thai Beef salad last night that was to die for, the coriander in the lettuce mix was delish. Much much better than take away any day - and a huge plate full of vegetables and only a garnish of meat.< /p>

That's my only complaint with Sillhouettes catalog, all their models are size 3, LOL.

Amazing how important proper nutrition is after banding, prior to banding, we obviously didn't know the word nutrition.

Not to mention prior to banding, my objective was what item on the menu was gonna give me the most food for my $$$$$$$.