Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 26th

Gas-X strips are strips that melt in your mouth. I bought some but only used a couple - they didn't seem to make any difference for me.

Down another 2 pounds this morning (16 total).

Craig

Hi Tiare!

Welcome to our little group! I was done on the 25th but I joined this group as it was a Sunday which is the first day of the week in the UAE and I didn't think anyone else would be done on that day!

I have felt so much better this weekend, the pain in my stomach when standing up or getting out of bed has almost gone and the gas is coming out lovely! (Sorry!:eek:)

I am able to walk round without holding myself in too. I feel better every day:)

Christy, can't help you with the Gas x strips as we don't have them here, or at least I have never seen them. I was prescribed Maalox plus which has been pretty good. Yellow, I know what you mean about the sound effects, mine keep my DH awake!:thumbup:

I've had some Soup today which was delicious. It was Baxters game Soup which has tiny bits of venison in and I mean tiny. I chewed them to a pulp and have been fine with them! I only had a little at a time just to make sure, I was scared of getting anything stuck although the bits were so tiny I don't see how they could have got stuck but I still took my time.

I am on liquids for another week yet so I am so jealous that you can have mashed potato this week:w00t: I am on 3 cartons of Ensure and Boost but I don't like the Boost much. I am looking forward to going on mushies in a week's time:tt2:

Well done on your weight loss Craig, that's over a stone, fantastic!:lol:

Jacquie

Well done on your weight loss Craig, that's over a stone, fantastic!

We don't use "stone" as a unit of weight in the U.S., so I l had to looked it up (what did we do before google?). Stone = 14 pounds. The website where I looked it up also said that 28 pounds equals a "tod". Is "tod" still in use in the U.K? I had never heard of that one. The Super Bowl is tomorrow, what we call "football", but what you would call "American football". The world is an interesting place! I hope to visit London someday. :-)

Craig

ROFL, thanks for letting me know about the gas-x strips. I had in my mind that they were strips you taped to your body above where you gas pain was and it would help dissolve the gas somehow. I have quite the imagination. I'm actually just getting desperate for some way to get rid of this shoulder pain I'm having. Every time I take a deep breath it's like I get a stitch in my side and my shoulder hurts at the same time. It's ok, it'll be over soon.

I went out to eat tonight with my husband after we saw the move about Benjamin Button. I ordered cream of broccoli and although there were tiny bits of broccoli I did fine. Only got about 2-3oz down but took the rest home. It felt nice to be out although I think the waitress wondered why I ordered anything, LOL.

Have a good night guys!!

Christy

Sorry Craig, I forgot that you guys don't use stones! It's a sort of target for losing weight, you know, half a stone, a stone etc. In the UAE they use kilos to weigh and on here it's pounds so I am lost in both places and it makes me use the little grey cells LOL!

I have never heard of a tod though, that must be really old! Anyway congrats on your 16 pounds, you're doing really well!:thumbup:

Christy I have a picture of you in my mind all taped up like a mummy!:thumbup: I do feel sorry for you though as the gas pain is horrible, stick with it, it will go soon. Can you get any Gas x strips (but don't stick them to your body:)!) And well done on going out to eat! You are very brave, I am avoiding anything like that at the moment but I am sure the time will come when I have to face it. Was the film good? I have seen trailers for it.

Has anyone driven yet? I was told not to drive for a week as the insurance wouldn't cover me and my week is up now but I am still not sure. The drivers are mad here in Dubai, total loonies on the road and I don't know how fast I would be at an emergency stop. What do you guys think?

Jacquie

Christy, broccoli causes gas. :-)

Jacquie, I drove to work Friday and Saturday and I did fine. But I've just been taking liquid tylenol instead of the liquid loritab I was prescribed. If you are still taking strong pain meds you need to be careful driving.

I also at out with my wife and some friends last night at a local steakhouse. I had some potato Soup which tasted wonderful. I resisted the wonderful yeast rolls that they serve there (227 calories each!).

Craig

I'm not sure my gas pain will be helped by gas-x. It's trapped air that they put into my abdominal cavity during surgery so unless it's in the digestive track I don't think gas-x will help. LOL, that's why I was hoping for the strips.

No abdominal gas today so I guess the broccoli was ok. I'm planning on having more for lunch today, whoo hoo!!

I like the stones approach to weighing. It sounds much better to say you are 22 stones instead of 330 pounds. I could totally go with that.

Have a good day guys.

Christy

Your right Christy - I only weigh a little over 18 1/2 stones!

Going to my doctor for my one week follow-up tomorrow. Did any of your doctors say when you could start some light weight training? I know I can walk and that I can't swim for 4 weeks.

Craig

Christy, I think the gas has to come out of your digestive tract eventually, there is just no other way out. I know what you mean though, I have had some trapped under my rib cage on my left hand side near my port. If I lie in a certain position then it feels like my port is rubbing on my ribs, most unpleasant!:thumbup: Whether it is or not is a different matter but that is what it feels like. Over the past fews days it has been getting better as the gas has been released:wink: Now it takes time for the gas to pass through to the bowel and I don't know if the Gas x strips/Maalox helps this to happen. I still have some in my chest cavity and I can feel it when I take a deep breath in, it feels constricted and sometime I have a pain in my chest. At the hospital I was given a sort of toy with 3 balls in and when you suck on the tube really hard the balls lift up in their own little tubes. At first I could only get 2 balls to rise up but now I can get 3 to go up. They said that this would help get the gas out, by inflating my lungs as much as possible. It hurts when I do it so I don't do it as much as I should!

Glad you guys like the stones, I will convert you yet LOL!:thumbup:

I tried driving a little today. We have loads of speed bumps where I live and I mean loads! I hold to hold my stomach driving over each one! I also found it difficult to turn round and look behind when I was reversing. I think I'll stick to short journeys for a while! I am just taking Panadol (paracetamol) now during the day and only took one lot today. I take the other one at night as it helps me sleep so I will be careful about driving in the morning.

I too am off to see doctor tomorrow (DH is driving!) and I am going to ask if I can have decaff coffee as I am desperate for a cup of coffee. Potato Soup sounds wonderful Craig! I am jealous!:thumbup:

It is almost bedtime here, take care and chat tomorrow,

Jacquie

I had a funny moment today. I've been working on drinking this last week and struggled the first few days to get through a whole Water bottle. This is a large size water bottle with a spout that I prefer and due to all the trouble I was having getting a full one down I figured it had to be close to the amount of Water I was supposed to be drinking. Well tonight I was so excited because I got though my first water bottle in a day!!! Whooo Hooooo!!!

Then my husband gave me a reality check. The bottle actually only holds 23oz. So, in fact, I am supposed to be drinking like three of these water bottles in a day.

Maybe next week, :tongue2:

Christy

Is anyone feeling hungry? I am now in to day 5 and have had a few moments when I have hunger pangs. I have a small drink (miso) and it goes.

How many meals per day did people start with?

I carry a bottle of Water with me everywhere as being summer here it is very hot.

Energy levels were great yesterday but seem a little flat today?

Hi!

I have also been feeling hungry and I eat SF Jello when any hunger pangs come on and that seems to help. Also drinking Water helps but only short term. Carry the Water around with you. I did a diet previously called Lighterlife where we had to drink 4 litres day and the only way I could do it was to drink continuously. It's hot here too (was 31 degrees c yesterday) so I will be carrying my water bottle with me. It's quite normal out here though to see people carrying one. I also find it hard to get all the water down though Christy and I haven't been doing the whole amount either.

I had my stitches out this morning and saw my doctor, everything is OK. I can go on mushies in a week's time and then I go back on 9th March for my first fill:unsure:

I can only walk as an exercise until then and nothing else is allowed. I can have decaff coffee but I have to be careful and if I get any reflux at all then I have to stop. Oh and I've lost 9 lbs!:w00t:

Have you guys told people about your surgery? I've only told my husband and kids who are sworn to secrecy. I haven't even told my mum. She is back in the UK and would worry. I will tell her when I see her. Apart from that I haven't told anyone. What about you?

I'm starting to get hungry now too. I find that having an ounce of pear juice helps get me to the next meal. I'm doing more walking and I'm not sure the liquid diet is lasting as long now that I'm moving more. I do get to move to puree tomorrow, WHOO HOOO.

Congratulations on a good doctor's visit and a great weight loss! It sounds like you are doing great. I'm also really glad that you are able to drink some coffee.

I have told family and a couple friends, I'm not necessarily keeping it a secret but I'm also not announcing it. I'm just going to inform people as they ask.

Christy

I was getting hungry in between meals and I cam to the realization that I am at the point where problems can start. My nutritionist explained to me that in 7-10 days or so after surgery, depending on the band you have, the swelling will subside and it will feel like you can eat almost anything. Last night, I had about 10 McDonald's french fries...no problem at all. I chewed them up and swallowed them. This was scary. I really have to watch now, because I can get carried away! I am trying to have sugar free Jello and more Water between meals.

Hi, will look to get some Jello, my fridge has some many liquid foods that there is no room for my husband food:)

I thought long and hard about who I told and then decided that i would tell my family, friends and some work colleagues. They have all been really supportive and asked what they could do to support me.

I have also shared with them the eating tips that my dietician has given me and also the converstion with my specialsit about why dieting dosnt work anymore and why some people need some extra help.

I choose to do this when I watched a documentary on the surgeon and some of the finds regarding obesity and also the use of lapband surgery for some people with diabetes and how they are now no longer needing to take the insulin but can maintain it through diet.

havent told my husband family and dont think I will. WE will be visiting them in europe in July and we will see how I feel then.

Does anyone feel like they have no energy and have you come up with a cure.