Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 26th

I'm being banded on Monday January 26th. Three days into my pre-op "liver" diet and so far I'm doing fine (except for some "head" hunger). My surgery is going to be done by Dr. Jaime Ponce (Gastric Band Institute) in Dalton, Ga (I live in Ooltewah, TN - near Chattanooga). Anybody else scheduled for that date?

I just found out I'm scheduled for that date, 8:30 in the morning. I am so excited!! I don't have a special pre-op diet, I have to drink two impact advantage recovery drinks a day but can still eat normally. I'm having surgery done by Dr Rantis with the Kane Center in Illinois. I'm getting really excited.

What type of post surgery plan does your doctor have you on? Dr Rantis has us do full liquids the first week, then puree for a week, then a week of soft foods (no fiber), and then regular foods. He tries to have you for your first fill within 4-6 weeks after surgery and wants us to have had at least a week of regular before our first fill.

I'm excited!

Christy

Hi Christy,

Sound like our post-op diets are pretty much the same. Week 1 Clear Liquids (but that includes Jello and Popcycles). Second week Full liquids (which includes low-fat, low-sugar yougurt/pudding) and low-fat creamy (strained) Soup. Third week Soft Foods (Protein and carbs). Fourth week solid food. My preop diet (to reduce fatty liver) is two weeks of (6) Glucerna shakes, (2) cups low-fat yogurt and (2) cups %100 fruit juice per day (I can also have clear broth). Eight days to go on this diet. I'm not craving anything except almonds (very weird) which I liked to snack on before I started the diet. I have a follow-up one week after surgery and normally the first fill is one month after surgery.

I don't have a time for my surgery yet, but they told me I was the only lapband patient scheduled for that day. I'm going to my first support meeting (with my wife) Tuesday nite (before my surgery the next Monday).

Have you chosen a band yet? I'm going with the new generation of the Realize Band (Band-C) which was just FDA approved in October 2008.

Craig

Hi Craig. I have to be honest I'm not sure exactly what type of lapband I'm doing but I trust my doctor to make the best choice for me. I hope that doesn't sound naive but I figure I'd rather have him doing the band he's most comfortable with.

It's going to be an exciting journey. My husband is a little over 4 weeks out from his surgery and has already lost 25lbs from two days before surgery. I know guys lose faster than women but I'm still excited!

Why are you going to another state for your surgery?

My doctor places both the Lap-Band and the Realize Band, so he makes his patients choose which one they want (he participated in the clinical trials for both bands). The main reason I chose the Realize Band is because it has a flatter "low-profile" port that won't stick out as much when I lose all of my weight. Other than that, they are basically equivalent as far as I can tell. The Lap-Band also has an optional low-profile port, but my surgeon doesn't use it.

I'm having my surgery done in Dalton, Georgia at an ambulatory surgery center because it is several thousand dollars cheaper than having it done at a hospital in Chattanooga (my surgeon does them in both places). I had to go self-pay because my insurance policy with Blue-Cross Blue-Shield of Texas has a specific exclusion for gastric surgery. Chattanooga is right on the Tennessee-Georgia line, so Dalton is only about 25 miles from my house.

Let's keep in touch thru this process and compare notes. It sounds like your husband is doing great. I've already lost 5lbs since Monday just being on the pre-op diet. Hopefully I'll have a lot of success with this surgery.

Good Luck!

Craig

A journey is a good description. My consult was way back in October and my lapband seminar was in September. My surgeon delayed my surgery due to high blood sugars (I'm diabetic with high blood pressure and sleep apnea). I had to work with a diabeties treatement center for a few weeks but got my blood sugar under good control. Doc said that with blood sugar levels over 180, there was too much risk of infection after surgery and I could lose my band.

The good news is that since I started on my pre-op diet, my blood sugar levels are WAY down. I have had to stop taking my short acting insulin and diabetes oral meds and cut back on my long-acting insulin.

For me this isn't just a lifestyle issue - it is an issue of life and death.

I've been active on lapbandtalk since September and I've really learned a lot from researching and asking questions. Good luck to you and your husband!

Hi, I'm being done on 25th which is a Sunday but the weekend where I live (Dubai, UAE) is Friday and Saturday so Sunday is the first working day of the week. I guess there won't be many others being done on a Sunday so I guess I'll join you guys!

I am on a 1 week fat free pre-op diet, it's amazing how different all the pre-op diets are! I have only been told that i will be on liquids for 2 weeks and mushies for a further 2 weeks post op. Not quite sure what to buy in to cover this. What's included in the Clear Liquids and the normal liquids?

Is anyone feeling nervous? I am!

My doctor gave me a list of things I could eat during the pre-op and the post-op diet. All of the docs are different, so you probably should get that info from him/her. thanks for joining us!

Alright 26ers, this is our big weekend. Most of us start with the pre-op fast and other specific instructions this weekend.

How is everyone doing? Any last minute jitters?

I'm scheduled for 9am on Monday morning and apparently I am his first surgery so that is nice. I did find out that I will definitely have to spend at least one night which is ok. I have a special "internal cleanse" product I have to take tomorrow and a special wash that may turn my skin orange (I'll look like I have liver failure.)

I'm really getting excited. My hubby has been doing great and is already down 28 pounds in the last almost 5 weeks. I'm so proud of him!

Good luck everyone!!

Christy

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to wish you all good luck for Monday! I am being done at 10am tomorrow morning (Sunday 25th) and I think I am possibly 9 hours ahead of you in time so it will be just after midnight your time! Getting nervous but looking forward to being a thin hottie!:thumbdown:

Keep in touch everyone and let us all know how you do:thumbup:

My surgery is 7:30AM Monday EST but I have to be at the surgery center at 6:00AM. Since this is about 45 minutes from my house, I'll be up by 4:30. But I'll have plenty of time to sleep later that day. :-)

I'm basically having to start my post-op diet (clear liquids) Sunday. So far I'm already down 11 lbs from my two-week pre-op diet.

Not nervous - just looking forward to getting it over with. I'll check in after surgery.

Hi everybody,

I was banded this morning with the new Realize Band-C and everything went great. Got to the surgery center at 6:00AM, Surgery at 7:30AM and discharged to go home at 11:30AM. I took a nap when I got home and now I'm pretty much feeling great except for being a little bloated, a dry mouth (from the anesthisia) and a little soreness in my shoulder muscles (they had my arms secured cross-wise on the OR table). No nausea, no incision pain, no gas pains (yet). Glad that it is finally done. I'm Looking forward to a week from now when I can start eating low-fat cream Soups and pudding! Then the next week, mushies! I have my surgeon follow-up next Monday.

How did everyone else do?

Hi Craig,

So glad that it all went well and you are feeling good. I was done on Sunday 25th and had one night in hospital so came home yesterday afternoon (26th). It all went well although I do have some gas pain which is getting better as it is released! I also feel like I have to 'carry' my stomach around when I walk. If I let go and leave it unsupported then I get some pain as it pulls everything down. Has anyone else had this feeling? I am on a liquid diet of these drinks called 'Ensure plus' which are like milkshakes. They come in vanilla, strawberry, banana and peach flavours. I also have to drink 2-3 litres of Water a day and can have other clear fluids including sugar free Jello. We don't have Jello in the UK where I am from although I have bought some here in the UAE where I live now. Pardon my British ignorance but what is it? Is it what we Brits call 'jelly'?:thumbup: And if so do I drink it before it sets or let it set and eat slowly? If you can enlighten me on 'Jello' I'd be really grateful! LOL!

I wonder how everyone else has got on? It will be good to keep in touch.