Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about backing out

I am scheduled for lap band on Jan 8 and I am terrified. I keep reading about all the pain associated with feeling the band inside the stomach, the gas, potential for hernias and gall stones and general discomfort. This is my second time being scheduled. I backed out in Aug 08, have not gained weight but have not lost any either. Tried on my own but I can't do it. I don't know what to do. I really want to lose the weight but I don't know if I'll end up with the psychological side effects of being "banded". Did anyone with the band feel this way before surgery? How did you overcome it?

I was banded on 12/9 and the first week I wanted to get it out. I had little pain but I had a hard time swallowing meds I have to take. I went a few days after surgery and had some Fluid removed and it helped. The burping when you over eat and foods comes out if the pits but you learn how to control it. the best thing about the band to me is that I do not think I will lose and regain and lose and regain----- I eat so much less than before and I mean tons less but I have lost no weight but I am able to turn down foods--- I still get hungry but it is more controllable than before--- it is not a fun thing to do to yourself and I have regrets---- but then again why did I let myself get in this position in the first place- I do miss the food and it is hard to eat with friends and family but you get used to it and it seems normal

I also back out several times and a few times it was due to other health problems but each time I was glad -- now there is no backing out----- and I am glad I did it but it is by no means easy

good luck and please let me know how you are

-- I was so sorry I did this -- now I am glad

so really think about it

cheryl (twirl)

I had some of those "what am I doing?" moments before I had the surgery. But I can honestly say that I have not regretted it once. I have not had any major problems...I haven't experienced the major gas pains, I haven't puked at all, and I feel great! Since my first fill, I have experienced that "I can't eat another bite" feeling a couple of times and it's not pleasant, but it's a tool to help me not eat as much. That's what I need!

I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing your updates!

Cindy

I was super scared right before I went in. I was mostly aprehensive because it was an "elective" surgery and was concerned about the possible side effects of blood clots, etc. I just kept thinking, "what if."

I am 8 days out from my surgery now and do not regret it at all. Thinking back on my aprehension, I believe that the thinking is part of putting myself last. I have teens and a husband of nearly 20 years that I always put before myself. That has to stop.

I qualified for the surgery due to my weight (obviously) and insulin resistance. Insulin resistance unchecked becomes diabetes. I just can't become diabetic!!!!

It really has been a positive experience. I am thankful that I am seeing results already. I weighed myself last night and had lost 10 lbs in 1 week. :wub:)

It's okay to be "selfish." In the end, it is the most unselfish thing you can do for yourself and your family.

PS I "backed out" of my first surgery 18 months ago!

I think we all had moments that scared us and we debated doing it. I did it 11 months ago. It has been great. I went from 235 down to 180 now. I am still working but pleased I did it. Follow your heart. There are risks in any surgery but there are risks living obese too.

Honey get this banded. It is great. i have been banded for 3 months and I feel great. I didnt have any problems at all. I cant even tell I have the band except for losing weight!

Hi Bunny!

I am only two weeks post-surgery but all is well at my end. Apart from the first few days of healing (restriction) I feel I was lucky to not have any complications at all. When I finally made the decision a few months ago to do the surgery, I felt as though a few elephants left my shoulder and headed off to other pasture! For me, it was as though I turned on a switch and that was that. I could not do it alone anymore, I was becoming frightened about future health prospects and I just knew I needed help. Giving myself permission to accept the help (Band) and deal positively with all that was to come really set the tone for a positive mindset. I know there will be difficult times ahead but so far, 25+ lbs lost and wow, do I ever notice a difference. There are risks associated with either of the choices you make - try and determine what is best for your own sense of peace and what gives you hope for the future. Wishing you the best!

Hi Bunny!

First, let me start off by saying that I'm not here to "convince" you to have this surgery...this is something you need to decide for yourself! Is there pain involved with this surgery, YES...the first few days after surgery were painful, I'm not going to lie! My surgery was on November 20th, the first two days were pretty painful and then it quickly got better...it took me about a full week to recover. You mentioned how others complained about feeling the band, the gas and general discomfort...I do not have any of those problems...sometimes you feel the food passing through the band, yes, and that is generally when you've eaten too fast or took too big a bite and swallowed too fast, but you don't feel the actual band itself. And as for the potential for hernias and gall stones, well, I guess that's possible....there is also the possibility of erosion and leaks in the port...don't get me wrong, sometimes I do think about those things and wonder, 5 years down the road, if my band will still be working properly...however, what concerned me more than worrying about those things, were the facts that 1) I have sleep apnea and found out that I had 120 breathing disruptions per hour...with the hopes that I don't develop heart disease, I now wear a mask every night to bed to help me breathe properly, and 2) for the first time in my life, my blood pressue reached 130/90, borderline hypertension... never mind the joint and foot pain I've been suffering with for the past 8 years....all these issues are due to being obese!

I definitely had some thoughts prior to surgery about, "Am I doing the right thing?" But honestly, those thoughts didn't last for long...I made a decision....I decided that I didn't want to be obese anymore...dieting doesn't work, I tried it for years...I've already wasted a lot of years being fat, I don't want to waste anymore time! I researched A LOT, came to this website almost every day and read through as many posts as I could because I wanted to be as prepared as possible...I was "aware" of the negative effects of the band because I felt it was important to be prepared for anything, however, the negative effects weren't my focus! I wanted the band to help me, so instead, I focused on the things that I knew I needed to do after I was banded in order to keep my band "healthy". Being educated about the band is the best thing you can do for yourself, if you haven't done this already then I don't believe you will be ready for this operation. If there is only one thing I have learned in this lifetime, its this; negative brings on MORE negative! If you convince yourself that you will have problems after your banded, then you will!

I am VERY happy with my band...don't get me wrong, I don't want to come across to you like this has been easy, because its not...you have to work at changing your eating habits, learn to recognize feeling satisfied as opposed to feeling full, etc. But its been worth every second to me, its the best thing I could have done for my health! I'm down 23lbs since November 20th and I feel pretty awesome! I can only imagine how great I will feel when I reach my goal! I wish you all the best and hope you make the right decision for you! Sorry for such a LONG e-mail, I hope I helped you in some way! Keep us posted on what you decided to do!