Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am not embarrassed about my surgery! Are you?

****DISCLAIMER - I am just a regular person, who is a regular poster, on a regular forum for Lap Band surgery who is just sharing a thought in a regular way...no offense is meant towards anyone

So, as I have been reading and posting today I have been thinking... am I embarrassed to have had this surgery? No way!

I was embarrassed when I couldn't fit comfortably in my seat on the airplane, when my thighs rubbed so much they were raw, when the skin folds on my body had an odor (you know what I mean)....

those are the embarrassing things and honestly my surgery is not in anyway something to be ashamed of.

I am honest always regarding my weight loss and my surgery - it doesn't matter who it is I am sharing it with - and this is my personal choice - if you do not want to tell anyone that is fine too and that doesn't mean you are embarrassed by it just you are more reserved for your reasons than I am.

Plus, I always think back to when Star Jones had surgery but she wouldn't say she had surgery.... I know I was wondering why she didn't.

So yes, I am proud to have had my surgery - I have no issues with it and if someone does well it is no different than any other aspect of life - people will have different thoughts, feelings and their own insecurities and issues - who gives a rats a$$ :)

Edited by babbs3772
Because I do not want anyone to be annoyed with my posts lol

I understand what you are saying and it makes sense completely :) You look like you are doing wonderful!

I'm not embarrassed at all either. I'm also not terribly private about it. But then, I'm not a terribly private person. I really don't care what other people think about it...for me, it's been wonderful! :)

I am not terribly private either, but I know I have friends who are - makes for interesting dynamics lol.

I am in the process of checking out your blog and I have to say I like it, straightforward and a nice clean looking page.

I am not embarrassed at all either. I chose though to only tell those close to me. This is a real journey for me and for the first time in years I am putting myself at the top of my list. I will tell everyone when I have this thing down pat and I have lost the weight. I work with a girl that had the surgery back in April and has done great with it. She waited to tell me and others until November.

One reason is because, no matter what, people will look at how you eat, what you eat and if you are losing weight. I am not ready to deal with all the questions. I need to take this time for me. Then I will gladly tell the world about my great surgeon and what this surgery has done for me.

19 lbs down! Only 80 to go!

pretty popular topic as a new thread seems to pop up each day.

not embarrassed - just private. no shame, not secretive, was never concerned about peoples opinions. i was just banded w/my husband who is ULTRA private - he wanted this kept to ourselves and so we did. i've learned a lot about discretion being with him over 10yrs - it's helped in other areas, where i have been a chatty kathy in the past.

i shared my banding w/my family after 6 months - i'm sure if i told any of my friends, colleagues, other family members...they would be supportive. my oldest brother got banded after seeing me and hubby a few months out.....we were the unfortunate ones in a family of 6 that had that "fat gene". i was glad to help & offer advice - as far as others go; i watch what i eat & exercise & that is no lie.

pretty personal topic - i will say i'm a little over people saying those who don't disclose are secretive or deceptive. i did a overhaul of my diet & re-engaged with my athletic side - the band didn't do that for me; it assisted.

I am not one bit embarassed. I've told everyone from close friends and relatives to co-workers and old acquaintances

that I have run into and I have not had any negative reactions to it.

Im not embarassed either. I think if someone wants to tell ppl then thats there right. If they want to be private about it ok. and I think if there are ppl out there that want to gain from using the surgery card in restaurants thens go for it...but for me only my family and closest friends know. I just started a new job and unless something happens I have no intentions of telling anyone. Its no different than not mentioning that I got a new dog...you know?! but if someone did ask me about it I would proudly say I had surgery!

I'm totally open and honest about my surgery. I'm not the least bit embarrassed or ashamed about it, even though people assume that because I had it, I must have weighed 300 or 400 lb (I didnt).

The way I see it, I am proud of the fact that I said "enough" to the stupid and pointless exercise of trying to lose the weight without surgical help. It. doesnt. Work. People just do not lose 100lb and keep it off. Statistics bear that out. What made me think that I would be the 1% that could do it even though I'd failed a million times before.

I also would never ever want to imply to others that somehow I am in that special 1%. I'd feel gutted every time someone I knew lost a lot of weight (not that they've ever kept it off) because it would make me feel I was lacking something. Whilst I dont like people thinking I took the "easy way " out and I'm quick to point out how much work it is, I also dont want them to think that I could do this without help.

I am not embarrassed. However, I decided to only tell the people I care for. No one needs to know my business or my struggle! This surgery is not the easy way out at all. I bust my booty at the gym and fight the cravings of a big juicy burger lol. My surgery does not drag me to the gym or tells me "hey dont you dare eat that sexy burger". I do.

Edited by LoveIslovely

I am not embarrassed at all either. I chose though to only tell those close to me. This is a real journey for me and for the first time in years I am putting myself at the top of my list. I will tell everyone when I have this thing down pat and I have lost the weight. I work with a girl that had the surgery back in April and has done great with it. She waited to tell me and others until November.

One reason is because, no matter what, people will look at how you eat, what you eat and if you are losing weight. I am not ready to deal with all the questions. I need to take this time for me. Then I will gladly tell the world about my great surgeon and what this surgery has done for me.

19 lbs down! Only 80 to go!

Good for you! It really is such a personal decision to tell or not to tell and it makes me happy to see how each person feels and deals with this surgery :)

Wow! It is really wonderful to see such a great and positive response from each and every one of you guys :cry_smile:

I guess it really is a personal decision and some of us are more personal than others and some less than than others.

I am the happiest to see that not one person felt embarrassed about the surger.

Regardless if we keep our surgery close to our hearts or Celebrate it loudly and verbally we all seem to be very proud of our decisions :)