Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mississippi Future Bandster Couple?

My wife and I are in serious contemplation about getting banded. I am a pastor and my wife is a teacher. We have been amazed at the perceived quality of care by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico and the price. It is half the cost of a self-pay at our closest surgical clinic offering this surgery! We both have Blue Cross, but neither of our carriers covers weight-related surgeries or procedures. We are wondering a couple of things:

1) If you and your spouse did it at the same time, what was it like?

2) What is the worst thing that you have heard in terms of a complication?

3) What have you heard about excess skin and/or liposuction needs once the majority of excess weight was shed?

Anyone else from Central Mississippi here?

Thanks!

I'm so sorry I have no info about Dr. Ortiz!

I think there are many here who've used him and are pleased, however, and I'm sure you'll find the answers you need. You might want to check in the "doctors and hospitals" forum for more information.

One small caveat: If you go anywhere for surgery (even one county over LOL) make sure you have good local aftercare lined up, or plan to travel. One thing many of us learn is that the aftercare (fills, unfills, access to surgeon for band-related questions and issues that arise, nutrition support, etc) is as important, if not moreso, than band placement. AND many surgeons are reluctant to take a patient that another surgeon banded. Again...regardless of whether you got your band in Mexico, or in the next state, surgeons don't like taking other surgeon's patients. Make sure you have your after care lined up and finances in place because without it, it's like buying a car with no way to put gas in it or get oil changes and repairs as needed.

Good luck to both of you!

Hi Mississippi Guy! I live in North MS and I just wanted to let you know my story.. After several months of research, I am being banded by Dr. Ortiz on January 29th. I am self pay so I did a lot of soul searching and praying before I came to this decision. Just so you know, I talked to EVERY doctor's office in our area including Oxford and Memphis and as you mentioned their self pay prices were upwards of twice what I will pay at Dr. Ortiz's clinic.

Now like RestlessMonkey said there were concerns with having the surgery so far from home. Obviously the two biggest were aftercare and fills. It took me forever to find someone in this area to do fills for patients banded in Mexico. Honestly, the doctor's office in Oxford was so rude to me when I suggested that I might have the surgery in Mexico, that I decided right then and there that I would NOT have surgery in Oxford even if I could afford it!!! In my opinion, their attitude it just one more thing that is wrong with the healthcare system in the US.

Anyway, I digress!! Since I haven't been banded yet, I can't speak for Dr. Ortiz's clinic, but I feel like I have made the right choice for ME and I am beyond excited to be banded. If you want to email me, I will be glad to give you the name and number of whom I will be receiving my fills and aftercare through and some more info that you might find interesting. Best of luck to you and your wife!!

I apologize for tagging on to your replies but I couldn't understand how to start my own question. I'm a 71 year old male who is diagnosed as "morbid obesity" at 255 lbs. I have not seen anyone who is my age who has had the lab band nor seen anything written about doing it for someone my age.

I apologize for tagging on to your replies but I couldn't understand how to start my own question. I'm a 71 year old male who is diagnosed as "morbid obesity" at 255 lbs. I have not seen anyone who is my age who has had the lab band nor seen anything written about doing it for someone my age.

Frank:

Go to "HOME" (tab at top). On the left hand side of the screen is a list "FORUMS" Select the forum (like a heading, or title, or general category) that is closest in nature to your question or area of interest. CLICK on that forum. There will then be a tab saying something like "New thread" or "start a new thread" That's where you can start a thread with your question.

TO answer the rest of your question....again in the "forum" section, there is one entitled something like "Age specific questions" (or something like that....) CLICK on that. You'll find an area for bandsters over 70! CLICK ON THAT! :tongue2:

and you should have some info, anecdotes, etc.

Good luck!

My wife and I are in serious contemplation about getting banded. I am a pastor and my wife is a teacher. We have been amazed at the perceived quality of care by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico and the price. It is half the cost of a self-pay at our closest surgical clinic offering this surgery! We both have Blue Cross, but neither of our carriers covers weight-related surgeries or procedures. We are wondering a couple of things:

1) If you and your spouse did it at the same time, what was it like?

2) What is the worst thing that you have heard in terms of a complication?

3) What have you heard about excess skin and/or liposuction needs once the majority of excess weight was shed?

Anyone else from Central Mississippi here?

Thanks!

Pertaining to 'extra skin' after wt loss...with the Lap-band the wt loss is much more healthy and 'gradual' on avg 1-2 lbs per week. My Surgeon said plastic surgery post lap band is less common since the wt loss is slower and your body adjusts better.