Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandster Hell

I'm crossposting this because I posted it in my december 2008 forum but it's a small audience and I could really use some help or advice.

Okie.. I'm on day 22 after getting banded on December 11th and I am starving. Like ghandi starving. Beyond a regular diet starving. I am HUNGRY.

Since the 22nd of this month I've been on mushies. I have not lost 1 pound since then so not only is the scale not moving but I'm just ravenous all day. I am limiting my portions to 1/2 cup or so of mushy food 3x a day with 1 or 2 Protein Drinks in between but it is by sheer willpower alone and frankly it's getting too much for me to keep being this hungry. I feel like it's been a month since I got a meal. Actually it has been since Dec 1st is when I started my 10 day liquid pre-op.

I want to clarify I have no intention of not following doctors orders and attacking a living cow to chew on it. Though at this point that sounds SO GOOD.

I have tried drinking a Protein Drink to feel full. It's not working or if it does only for an hour or two.

I know that this is considered bandster hell but I thought I lucked out the first couple weeks because I wasn't hungry at all. Either the scale has to move or I'm going to be found face first in a vat of mashed potatoes with 2 tons of butter on them.

Is anyone still losing on mushies? Please tell me what you're eating and why it's moving for you?

Is anyone this hungry? It's not even head hunger. I'd eat cardboard at this point if I thought it would just fill me up.

HELP! What am I doing wrong?

Edited by bethm

hi,i'm seven months out my surgery,and from what i remember,whenever i got hungry i would have a snack, like yogurt,or cottage cheese, and it would really sustain me untill my next meal,and it worked i started loosing and i wasnt hungry at all

When I was hungry I ate refried Beans. I also remember not losing any weight once I started mushies and until after my first fill. I was so depressed as here I just had surgery, was losing really well and thought it would continue. Got off liquids and onto mushies and the scale stopped moving. I was panicked because if it stopped at mushies what would the scale do when I got solids? But it really was just the body rather catching up to all the changes and then I started losing again at a really good pace. Hang in there, you are over half way to your 6 week mark and hopefully first fill.

I got banded on 12-18-08,i am now on mushies for a week today, and i thank iam eating to fast, they say it should take 25-30 mins to finish, but it takes me maybe 10 mins ,and iam not getting full as quick as i was when i was on liquids. Iam trying to pace myself,but i thank i could eat more. So i feel you pain.

Don't attack the cow! You will make it.

I would try to have some Snacks that might fill you up for awhile, versus drinking a Protein shake. The cottage or yogurt suggested could be what you need to get between meals. I found the thicker the food the longer it stayed with me. Are you waiting to drink after your "meal"? Make sure you wait for the time your dr suggested so you are not pushing the food through.

I would also suggest checking out the food & nutrition forum for some good recipes, maybe some variety would help you out!

Are you exercising? That was the hard one to get started for me, but man did it help! I really didn't start with regular exercise for about the first 6-8 weeks, but when I got going on a regular basis the scale started moving down.

Not sure I helped, I know how frustrating that phase is, but you can get through it, the scale will start moving down again and you won't always be this hungry!

I had a hard time on mushies also. I could not limit myself to refried Beans, cottage cheese, and yougurt. I started blending up everything I cooked for my family. Spaggetti was the best. I would blend the sauce, heat it up and put it over cottage cheese. It was like a noodleless lasagna. You can do the same thing with taco meat and refried beans. I would add a little avacado for the good fat. You also may want to eat a little more, maybe a cup instead of half a cup. I know I have read on LBT that if you are not getting enough calories you can also slow down your weight loss. Give it time and this to will pass, just wait for your first fill. Good luck.

Just keep telling yourself this too shall pass. The only way to describe this time is HELL!! Just remember you have not an ounce of restriciton during this time so basically you are back to where you started (to a point) and eating like a pauper. Once you get your fills you will feel differently. No I did not loose weight during that time (maybe a very little) but after I got my fills (and it took at least 3) I could really tell a difference. I would say if you are hungry every two hours eat something high in Protein and try to keep busy. I think sometimes it is in our minds that we are just starving becuase we are told we can't eat. You can do it!!!!!

The things I've found most satisfying are refried Beans with a little bit of melted cheese topped with salsa guacamole and non-fat SC (1/4 cup of the beans and 1/4 total of all the toppings, combined) and chopped up hard-boiled eggs with a little mayo- both of these were on my doctors mushies list, and they took care of my hunger better than anything else. tuna salad would probably also be OK so long as it is pureed smooth. The Protein is what'll do it. Best wishes- I know you'll come out the other side.