Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any way to prepare BEFORE consultation??

Hi everyone

I am waiting to attend a mandatory seminar on Aug. 13th - a must before I can even get a consultation with the surgeon. Anyways, the wait is driving me crazy!! I love reading everyone's posts and just want it to be "my turn".

My question is-is there anything I can do at this point to make the whole process go faster?? My PCP is willing to give me referals to any Dr's I need to see, but can I, or should I do anything this early on?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lisa

i have to go to a mandatory seminar $495 out of my pocket on august 1st..i already got my pcp to get the referral to the surgeon (since it had to be preapproved and all and i didnt want to spend the 495 and not ge approved) what this does for me...i have to take the class first and at the class they schedule you for your appt with the surgeon and they schedule you for your mandatory psych eval also. if you dont have the referral to the surgeon this could possibly pro long your date!!! good luck:)

I can't belive you have to pay so much just for the seminar, luckily the one that I have to attend is free. I can get the referal in a matter of a day or so, I just didn't know if there was anything else I could do at this point to help things move along faster. I can't even make the appointment with the surgeon until AFTER I attend the seminar and then who knows how long it will be after that...at that point I can only hope and pray that my insurance pays for it.

Hi Lisa,

One thing you can start doing is working on your diet history. Most doctors and ALL insurance carriers require evidence that surgery is the last resort, so they all ask for a history of diet attempts. See if you can come up with a chronological list of the programs you've been on, how old you were at the time, how must weight you lost and when/whether that weight came back on.

You can also ask you PCP's office to comb its records for notes on visits where your weight was discussed, and if there aren't any make that appointment now! A letter of support from your PCP will also be needed, so maybe you can do a draft of such a letter they could use.

I know it's nerve-wracking! I attended my seminar three years ago this month. It's amazing how time flies!! Which doctor are you contemplating?

I think you have done pre consult stuff. Your research and the seminar. Oh write down any questions you can come up with for the surgeon. See if they have a coordinator. My hospital had a coordinator who can make all of your appointments and tells you what your need referrals for.

Here are the following test I had to go through before surgery and was able to get the surgery done in about 2 months after consult. Oh you may my need proof that you have been on doctor supervised diet but if your doctor knows you have been trying to loose you may be able to bypass that. They ask if you have done ww, Atkins, etc..

• psych eval
  • nutritionist consult
  • blood and urine
  • cardiologist (possibly if heart issues)
  • upper gi
  • blood gas test
  • ekg/eeg
  • sleep study (possibly 3 appts, the study, results, fitted for machine )
  • nurse interview

Thanks everyone! Great info, just what I was looking for.

Alex ~ I found a Dr Onopchenko in Pamona(outside Atlantic City) who has a very good rep. although I hear he is strict- seems that would be better for me anyway. I am so anxious to get everything started.

NJchick- good luck with your seminar, what town is it located?

Thanks everyone! Lisa

still working on this ticker