Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie questions @ 2 wks post-op

Hi Fellow Bandsters,

Well, yesterday was two weeks post op and I have lost 14 pounds so far (no pre-op diet for me). Since I am still healing and getting used to the band lifestyle I have some questions.

First I noticed after I eat I have a pain in the middle of my back. Is this still gas? It also hurts when I stand a lot.

Next, I don't feel restricted at all. I am not that hungry either. Dr. said I could start mushies on Christmas so I have stalled in my weight loss too. I have had some mashed potatoes, refried Beans, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, and I can eat like normal. I am trying to watch how much I eat but I am trying to get a feel for the band too. Hope that makes sense. I don't want to stretch my stomach either.

Another question, when I eat mushies am I supposed to chew 20 times? I really havent been doing that cause I figured its already soft. Nothing has gotten stuck yet, is that because I haven't had a fill yet?

Last, when I drink Water, do I have to sip or can I down a bottle. I have been so thirsty and don't want to stretch my stomach by drinking too much.

Thank you all for your support. I am so happy to have found this site. I am excited to finally be losing weight.

Happy New Year!!!!!

Michele:smile:

hi,

i had surger 12/22/08 so far a breeze!!! had a little gas pain left shoulder but i believe getting up and moving worked it out quicker (my opinion) never took a pain pill since day of surgery and feeling really good. my doc said to chew chew chew. so far i have had refried Beans, grits, eggs, cream of mushroom Soup and all is well i try to let my stomach tell me when to stop. but i still feel like i'm eating way too much. my stomach growls loud all the time. i have lost 9lbs. but i still feel hungry. i drink my Protein Drink and try to drink unsweetened tea or Water in between but its really hard. probally the hardest thing i face is not drinking with meals good lord this is killer. i have to work on this one. i get staples out on wednesday and hopefully all the questions i have will be answered i have a list. like to keep in touch and see how we progress

Hi Mattsmom. Welcome to LBT - you are going to love this site - I do!! I'm not an expert by any means, and I haven't even been banded that long myself, but I will try and help you.

*I think the pain you are feeling is still the gas. Mine lasted about a month and I still could feel it every now and then after that. Seemed like when I was stressed, it would reappear. It will go away..... it just takes longer for some than others.

*Since you have not had a fill and are not feeling much restriction, it is easy to eat more than you should. But... since you are doing so well with your weight loss, you might want to continue to eat smaller portions (whatever your doctor recommended). You might not get a "feel for the band" until you feel restriction (after fills in most cases).

*I agree.... it is hard to "chew" mushies, and that might not be necessary. BUT... you do want to practice taking small bites, not swallowing them too fast, and taking time between those bites. Believe me - although it is not necessary now, you will be glad you practiced later when your band is tighter and you are feeling restriction. I did not do these things and I am having a harder time now because of it. Once your band is tighter, you will HAVE to take tiny bites, chew chew chew, and stretch your meals out to about 30 minutes. I do now and I wish I had worked on it more before I got to this point.

*You probably have had nothing get stuck because you haven't had a fill... but... I'm sure there are people who have had issues with food getting stuck even before a fill. It goes back to small bites, chew a lot, and don't eat too fast.

*Again... until you have restriction, it is probably not necessary to sip your beverages... BUT... I have to do that now. Everything goes down fine IF I take it slow. If I rush my eating or even my drinking, I can run into problems. So, you might just want to get in the habit of not drinking too much too fast.

I hope that this helps you. I had my 3rd fill on Dec. 18th and that is the day that everything changed. I felt nothing different after my first and second fills, but this one... WOW!! I am not very hungry, I really can eat 1/2 c. of food and feel full, and I am satisfied for a long time between meals. I read posts of others saying that, but I wondered if it would ever really happen to me. It did and I am a very happy camper. But.... along with the joy, I am having to RElearn and learn how to live with my band on a daily basis. Good luck to you!!! Keep up the good work and take good care of yourself. Becky

Thanks for your reply, scrmom. I know what you mean about drinking with my meals. I even have to think about when I will eat next so I don't drink right before. Then I have to think about it after eating too.

I also feel like I am eating too much. I know it's a lot less than before I was banded but I am just nervous I am not doing it right. I feel normal.

Another positive, I have so much energy. I am on vacation until the 5th and I am taking everything out of cupboards and closets to get organized. Before the surgery I would be sitting on the couch thinking about what I will eat or what i am not supposed to eat.

Thanks for your post. Don't you love this site?

Michele

Hi Mattsmom. Welcome to LBT - you are going to love this site - I do!! I'm not an expert by any means, and I haven't even been banded that long myself, but I will try and help you.

*I think the pain you are feeling is still the gas. Mine lasted about a month and I still could feel it every now and then after that. Seemed like when I was stressed, it would reappear. It will go away..... it just takes longer for some than others.

*Since you have not had a fill and are not feeling much restriction, it is easy to eat more than you should. But... since you are doing so well with your weight loss, you might want to continue to eat smaller portions (whatever your doctor recommended). You might not get a "feel for the band" until you feel restriction (after fills in most cases).

*I agree.... it is hard to "chew" mushies, and that might not be necessary. BUT... you do want to practice taking small bites, not swallowing them too fast, and taking time between those bites. Believe me - although it is not necessary now, you will be glad you practiced later when your band is tighter and you are feeling restriction. I did not do these things and I am having a harder time now because of it. Once your band is tighter, you will HAVE to take tiny bites, chew chew chew, and stretch your meals out to about 30 minutes. I do now and I wish I had worked on it more before I got to this point.

*You probably have had nothing get stuck because you haven't had a fill... but... I'm sure there are people who have had issues with food getting stuck even before a fill. It goes back to small bites, chew a lot, and don't eat too fast.

*Again... until you have restriction, it is probably not necessary to sip your beverages... BUT... I have to do that now. Everything goes down fine IF I take it slow. If I rush my eating or even my drinking, I can run into problems. So, you might just want to get in the habit of not drinking too much too fast.

I hope that this helps you. I had my 3rd fill on Dec. 18th and that is the day that everything changed. I felt nothing different after my first and second fills, but this one... WOW!! I am not very hungry, I really can eat 1/2 c. of food and feel full, and I am satisfied for a long time between meals. I read posts of others saying that, but I wondered if it would ever really happen to me. It did and I am a very happy camper. But.... along with the joy, I am having to RElearn and learn how to live with my band on a daily basis. Good luck to you!!! Keep up the good work and take good care of yourself. Becky

Hi Becky,

Thanks for your post, we mustv'e been typing at the same time when I posted before.

You were very helpful in answering my questions. It makes sense to me when I hear from someone who is going through it. It confirms what I was thinking. The thing about this band is that I don't have someone to ask these questions to on a day to day basis. Thank you so much for sharing what you learned. I guess I was expecting to feel a lot different, but it sounds like after a fill I will. Also, I don't want to fail at this attempt to lose weight (like other diets in the past).

Wow your weight loss is great! Have a great day!

Thanks again,

Michele:smile2:

Hi there! Welcome! I was banded on 10/23/08 and have now had 2 fills -- am at a decent level of restriction right now.

I agree with the other poster -- you don't have to chew chew chew mushies, but practicing isn't a bad idea. On Water, I'm still able to drink as much as I like, and I down it pretty easily. You definitely don't want to become dehydrated!

I've been keeping a blog since just prior to surgery -- feel free to check it out (link is below). It sounds like we felt pretty much the same way after surgery, so it may give you an idea of what to expect. :party:

Happy New Year!!! (The first year in which we'll all be able to keep -- and exceed! -- our WL resolutions!) :blink:

mattsmom1

your post is too funny i wondered about why i have all this built up energy i feel like i could build a house instead of clean one. i went back to work the 29th and my staff were telling me slow down its like i was superwoman. i hope the energy lasts... i get staples out tomorrow morning and get to ask all my questions i am excited i lost 9lbs so far. i am concerned about the eating mostly. thats my big concern i have ate grits for Breakfast last two days, 2 Protein drinks and for supper an omelette. i eat but after 45min to an hour my stomach begins growling loud like a bear its embarassing.

my doc said no drinking 30min before or after each meal but honestly its soooo hard not to drink but im sticking to it Water and no cal milo tea have sustained me. im really wondering what the first fill will be like though when did your doc say you could do first one? mine said 6 weeks

keep in touch its nice to have someone going through it you can talk to and have a happy new year

Hi Fellow Bandsters,

Well, yesterday was two weeks post op and I have lost 14 pounds so far (no pre-op diet for me). Since I am still healing and getting used to the band lifestyle I have some questions.

First I noticed after I eat I have a pain in the middle of my back. Is this still gas? It also hurts when I stand a lot.

Next, I don't feel restricted at all. I am not that hungry either. Dr. said I could start mushies on Christmas so I have stalled in my weight loss too. I have had some mashed potatoes, refried Beans, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, and I can eat like normal. I am trying to watch how much I eat but I am trying to get a feel for the band too. Hope that makes sense. I don't want to stretch my stomach either.

Another question, when I eat mushies am I supposed to chew 20 times? I really havent been doing that cause I figured its already soft. Nothing has gotten stuck yet, is that because I haven't had a fill yet?

Last, when I drink Water, do I have to sip or can I down a bottle. I have been so thirsty and don't want to stretch my stomach by drinking too much.

Thank you all for your support. I am so happy to have found this site. I am excited to finally be losing weight.

Happy New Year!!!!!

Michele:smile:

I'm 5 weeks out, my first fill is tomorrow. I would say the pain might be gas, but what I noticed (in my case) was that to compensate for my stomach hurting so badly right after my surgery, I was leaning forward a lot. THAT made my back hurt. My first (short!) walk around the neighborhood ended in really bad back pain. Wearing a bra was the worst, especially since I couldn't compensate by standing up straighter! Maybe that's what's going on with you?

I also couldn't tell the difference between gas pain and just general "it hurts" kind of pain, but that was mostly in my stomach.

For the Water - I had a big problem, still trying to figure it out, with drinking. I called the nurses at my hospital to find out what I could do because I was just so damn thirsty! They suggested ice pops and sucking on ice cubes. It doesn't help with the thirst at all, but it at least wets your tongue. I spoke to the dr about how the nurses said absolutely DO NOT drink more than you're supposed to, but what I learned from experience is you don't have to sip just a little. You can't down a bottle of water, but you can have a few sips. You'd be able to feel it if it weren't going down, but since they haven't given you a fill, you can probably tolerate more than you'll eventually be able to. I trusted my body, and drank a little more (again, not downing an entire glass) but maybe taking a couple of gulps instead of a ladylike sip, when I knew I needed it.

Hope that helps. Good luck!