Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Lopez's Seminar, Saturday Oct 18

FYI - Anyone who is interested, Dr. Lopez is holding a seminar at the Hospital Oasis in Tijuana, Mexico on Saturday, October 18, 10am.

This is a no cost seminar. I have not been to one yet, but it is my understanding that there is lots of information about the band, and usually plastic surgery info, as well.

If anyone knows more about the format, please post. But in the meantime, if there are any of you still in the info gathering stage in SoCal, this may be worth hitting.

I'm planning on being there, and will give a recap afterwards. It is also my understanding that these seminars happen throughout the year.

The seminar on Saturday was interesting. I don't know that it would have been worth a REALLY long trip to attend, but coming from San Diego I felt it was worth my time. Mom and I caught a ride with a fellow San Diego bandster who has reached goal weight, Diane.

There were maybe 15 or so people attending. Two of which just recently had the surgery in the day or two prior. The seminar started over an hour late, and was over by around 1. Dr. Lopez did fills afterwards.

Dr. Lopez gave a presentation on the band and how it helps with obesity and self-esteem, and showed some brief animation on the band being placed. Dr. Carmen spoke on band complications, and showed slides of actual complications, which was very interesting. There was a slide showing slippage under fluoroscope, and a couple slides on port/tubing problems, and how they can come outside the body when rejected (very weird).

They wanted to emphasize that although the band can have complications, most were minor, and if people took care of the band properly and got the follow-up care they needed, the complications could all be treated. They also wanted people to be aware of what the complications were, and the symptoms, so that we would seek medical attention in a timely fashion before anything too dire could occur.

A nutritionist and counselor spoke, and then a plastic surgeon. The plastic surgeon outlined the different types of plastic surgery they do to combat the results of stretched skin. He did say that there is NO other way to combat skin that has been stretched other than surgery. You cannot exercise extra skin away. He also showed before and after slides of the various procedures, which I found very interesting and informative.

Finally a woman who is just starting the first Curves franchise in TJ spoke, and gave a general overview of the exercise program they use and how it is tailored specifically for women. She made the 30 minutes a day sound very appealing and effective.

The two parts that were the most interesting to me were the complications part and the plastic surgery part, and meeting a couple of bandsters that I've only known cyber-ly, like Sissy from the main yahoo bandster board, and Monica from the SoCal yahoo bandster board.

Afterwards Mom, Diane and I had lunch at Cien Anos - yum, yum!

Bottom Line: If you're in the area the next time a seminar is held, I recommend attending. I don't think I would travel a really long distance, but if it is convenient I felt it was worth the time.