Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Trouble Saying No To Holiday Goodies

Okay, I am really scared because I have been so good on my diet since being banded 3 months ago. But all these holiday goodies is too much temptation. In the last 8 days I have eaten 3 Cookies and 6 pieces of candy. I know that before the band I would have eaten that, and more, in one day but I am afraid I am reverting back to my old ways. Is anyone else cheating now that the holidays are here? Everyday someone is bringing in another plate of cookies, a plate of fudge, box of chocolates, etc. here at work. And the darn things are sitting right in front of me. I admit it, I am still weak when it comes to saying no to this stuff. At home I just got all of it out of the house. Problem solved. Some people at work don't even know that I have been banded. They just think I am losing weight on my own I guess. I am trying to think of the long term, and the fact that the few moments of eating the goodies is not worth it, but it is so hard. Is anyone else having problems with this and what do you do to control it? I keep telling myself just get through today, tomorrow is Christmas and that is going from house to house with all the junk being offered, then it will be over. Just tell me someone else is having this problem, or had the problem last year and you just got through it and got back on track. Please!

Yes, I am having this problem! I just try and keep it under control and tell myself take a small piece!! If I have to have it. I always ask myself do I really want that? Most of the time it works. I always try and think about my goals also. The bottom line is it just not easy. I know you can do it and resist the temptations!!

Just take it one day at a time!!

Best Wishes!

I'm having such a hard time not eating all the chocolate and I love choc chip Cookies. Luckily we had a big party on sat for my daughter who was in Scotland at college so all the goodies are almost gone. We are going out to dinner tonight and what helped me with that is I went online last night to look at the holiday menu to help me with what I can eat today or not eat. Also I had 2cc put in my band on mon 12-22-08 so I am a little afraid of over eating and getting sick. Good luck to you the holidays and goodies wont be here forever and you can get back on track.

Hey, we are human! I have been experiencing the same problem too. I was only banded on 11/4 and do not have any fill yet, so if I don't measure carefully, I will eat more than I should.

Besides the sweets, the problem I'm dealing with is that I'm finally a good girl and looking for Protein first, but everyone seems to only want to serve breads and starches! I went to a birthday party three hours away, so I was a captive guest, and the menu was pizza, Cookies, and cupcakes. In the morning, she served pancakes. (Does not know I was banded.)

Tonight at Christmas Eve at an aunt's, the menu is going to be lasagne and garlic bread, followed by cakes and pies. ACK!!!!! (They don't know I've been banded either.)

So though I'm sooooo tempted, I told myself this... stick to the three meals only with no snacking, and if you are going to have something sweet, pick the one thing that is your most favorite... not a sampling of it all....but only the one that is really, really worth it, and keep it within limits.

I can't really whip out the kitchen scale in front of everybody, and I'm starting to get better at estimating portions, but today I'm going to practice identifying 1/2 a cup. ha ha ha Gotta study up before dinner!!! ha ha ha

Hang in there!!! Happy holidays, and don't forget you have the strength to overcome those urges. Look how far you have gotten so far!!!

I am partaking in holiday goodies as well. I have kept it fairly well in control and stick to 1 sampling of something and not half a dozen like I would have done before.

The good news, the Holidays are almost over, lol. For most of us it will only be a couple more days of temptation and then we will be back to normalcy.

Heather reminded me of something I meant to say in my first message....

Look at this way... it is just a small bit as opposed to handfuls of days past! That alone is quite an accomplishment, right??? One cookie or 20 Cookies??? Hmmmm...I think one cookie is quite an improvement!

I am totally eating holiday treats, but in moderation. So instead of 1-dozen Christmas Cookies, I have 1. Instead of eating the whole box os Sees candy in one gobble. I have 1 or 2 pieces. Moderation is easy for me with the band. Pre-band my portions were all out of control.:sad:

I am also working my butt off with exercise, so that I can indulge withou gaining weight. :thumbup:

Merry Christmas!

Be kind to yourself.

Think about this as a learning opportunity, not as a win or loss kind of situation.

If you eat a bit of something, appreciate it for what it is. Taste it and savor it. Don't eat gunk because it is there. When you do eat something embrace that it is fantastic and good.

Count your bessings with things like:

I can eat just some and be satisfied.

I can eat some sugar and not dump.

I can walk away from piles of food unlike before.

I am the one in control and if I choose to eat that goodie I'm going to enjoy it.

Add your own blessings...

Moderation is key. It is ok to have a taste or one piece of something, keep in mind what you are eating and don't let it get away from you.

It is hard with all of the temptation. I did not bake this year, I just know it would be too tempting for me to have it in the house. We did receive some food gifts, but I have been able to leave them alone and not dig in and eat tons.

I try to not think of this as a diet or cheating. It is a lifestyle change and I have to live in the real world, so moderation is key! I am glad that I have my band to help me with this, I am finally feeling restriction and feel full after I eat. I have to remember to drink my Water between meals, make good food choices and exercise.

Stay commited to your long-term goal and you will get through this holiday! A couple more days, you can do it!

I agree w you and everyone else I am having a hard time but I feel like small amounts is ok I am trying not to slip back into my bad ways.

After the first of the year I plan to get back at recording EVERYTHING that I eat and making sure I am still on track.

Good luck everyone and happy new year