Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain at Port Site

I have had my Realize band for a little over 4 months and at the last fill I had, I had some pain around the port site. I noticed it had been bothering me some before I went. When the PA was pushing to find the port, I was very tender.

The dr came in and of course had to push on the port site again - ouch! They put me on anti-inflammatories and antibiotics to see if it would clear up. Went back in last week and it was definitely better, but still had a smidge of pain on the right side of my port.

They did have me stop running for a week to see if it would completely clear up the pain. I can't wait to get back to running again this week - I miss my exercise! I noticed after running I definitely could feel where the port was, not sure if the two are related??

That was a long story, but has anybody else experienced this? Has it gone away?

Occasionally, I have a little tenderness at the port site, but I can usually attribute it to something I've done (ie sitting upright several hours with tight waisted pants, although the port is about a couple of inches above my waistline). It doesn't sound like the pain you're having though.

My fills have been very uneventful, thankfully; easy in and out, but I did notice a bit of tenderness for a day after my last fill.

I hope you're able to resolve this problem quickly. I know the nagging port pain can be very irritating.

I have been having port pain...It started after I really started doing a lot of sit ups...Ive kinda laid off that some to see if it would get better but now I am noticing discomfort at my port site sometimes after I eat...it feels like it is being pulled on...Any ideas?

I have had pain all around my body from my shoulders to my back to my butt. I was banded in Sept. and didn't have these pains before. I am hoping they will go away since my doc is on vacation for the next month!!!

Hi Kiz.. In reading some of the posts I see that you have have the realize band for some time. I was just banded on Monday and am having plenty of pain and discomfort in the port site. In fact that is really the only place that I have any. However, I have been told that this will be that way for some time possibly up to two weeks or so.. Just wondering if you have any insights as to getting past this difficulty? I have used the heating pad, pain meds.. and as long as I am sitting in a chair I am good. any kind of movement feels like my entire insides are being ripped out.. Just hoping someone says that this is normal and will pass soon.. thoughts?:yikes:

Occasionally, I have a little tenderness at the port site, but I can usually attribute it to something I've done (ie sitting upright several hours with tight waisted pants, although the port is about a couple of inches above my waistline). It doesn't sound like the pain you're having though.

My fills have been very uneventful, thankfully; easy in and out, but I did notice a bit of tenderness for a day after my last fill.

I hope you're able to resolve this problem quickly. I know the nagging port pain can be very irritating.

personally, i don't think port pain should be ignored.

i too thought my protruding port and the pain was due to a lot of ab work & losing weight around my waist.

no - i had a hernia, which was repaired yesterday and it was determined i had an infection at my port site. left untreated can lead to erosion. i'm on lots of antibiotics/anti-inflamatory/and pain meds.

don't self diagnose any pain is my best advice.

I have been having port pain...It started after I really started doing a lot of sit ups...Ive kinda laid off that some to see if it would get better but now I am noticing discomfort at my port site sometimes after I eat...it feels like it is being pulled on...Any ideas?

i had the exact symptoms - it was a pulling feeling & hard to describe. the pain wasn't earth shattering; but i was uncomfortable, and that pulling feeling was there after a workout or eating.. get your dr to check it out - soon!

Thanks and I know that self doctoring can be a problem.. I did call the doctor and was informed by office staff that it was normal to have this much discomfort when initially banded (since Monday).. Do you agree with that statement?

Thanks and I know that self doctoring can be a problem.. I did call the doctor and was informed by office staff that it was normal to have this much discomfort when initially banded (since Monday).. Do you agree with that statement?

yes that's a fair statement, i had discomfort for the first few wks (tender). you should have your followup appt here shortly, and by then if it's still bothering you let your dr know.

good luck w/your band!

Hi Kiz.. In reading some of the posts I see that you have have the realize band for some time. I was just banded on Monday and am having plenty of pain and discomfort in the port site. In fact that is really the only place that I have any. However, I have been told that this will be that way for some time possibly up to two weeks or so.. Just wondering if you have any insights as to getting past this difficulty? I have used the heating pad, pain meds.. and as long as I am sitting in a chair I am good. any kind of movement feels like my entire insides are being ripped out.. Just hoping someone says that this is normal and will pass soon.. thoughts?:yikes:

I'm sorry you're experiencing so much port pain. I was able to baby myself a lot. My kids are pretty much grown, and I'm a SAHM, so I could get a lot of rest and lounge in sweats. I think being able to veg really helped the healing process. I'm very glad you talked to the medical staff in your doc's office, but if you feel like your pain is incapacitating, I would ask to be seen. I'm sure 99.9% of the time it's normal, but don't let that make you feel like you should take a chance. Lulu mentioned she ended up having a hernia, so there is an outside chance you might have a secondary condition.

I would rate the pain I had the week after surgery as tender. Once, during the first week, when I stupidly forgot that I had just had surgery, I tried to move a heavy recliner. I had a very strong burning sensation around the port. Scared me, I can tell you, but it went away pretty quickly.

Please let us know how you're doing. I hope your pain lessons very soon.

Both the lapband and realize band although sometimes placed differently both cause some pain since they are basically drilling this thing onto your muscle. The shoulder pain is from the Co2 used during the procedure. Pockets of Co2 climb up there and cause some pain, sometimes it takes a while for it to go away.

Port pain should subside after 3 or 4 days. If not you may have an infection - you should absolutley get that checked to be sure.

i had the exact symptoms - it was a pulling feeling & hard to describe. the pain wasn't earth shattering; but i was uncomfortable, and that pulling feeling was there after a workout or eating.. get your dr to check it out - soon!

Hearing your story makes me glad I listened to my "gut"! My port has hurt for some time and your post makes me glad I agreed to a "Port Revision" this week. I have had the same pain since I had my surgery 12/29 and it has not gone away. I talked with my surgeon and he wants to go in for a second surgery to check for a hernia or infection. If neither is present, he will move the port to the left ~ he thinks maybe it is sitting on a nerve. Everytime I use my abs or engage my abs, the port hurts. It's especially painful if I overeat, which I have only done once due to that pain!!

Thanks for your post!

what type of meds...im experiencing the same kind of side pain only when I eat or drink its like a burning sensation......the doctor gave me a persciption for prevacid? I think thats the name of it. I dont have any ins so i left it there at the pharmacy like a idiot lol but it was 211.00 cant afford that right now.

Is it pain or burning? I am having burning only when I eat or drink. but it eventually fads..and I have no insurance at this time so Im bumbed

We've received one common request over the last year+ from members on LapBandTalk who've undergone or are interested in the Realize® Band procedure: An online community they can call their own.

Following the success of LapBandTalk and VerticalSleeveTalk, we're happy to announce that we've just launched the beta release of the Realize Band Support Community, located at RealizeBandSupport.com . We're confident that you'll find what you're looking for at the new Realize Band Support (RBS) Community.

If you're currently a member of LapBandTalk or VerticalSleeveTalk, you can just log in with your current credentials, there's no need to sign up for a new account.

Log in now to join the REALIZE Band community and become one of our founding members!

Wondering if Realize® Band is the right choice for you? Looking for information and community after your Realize Band Surgery? Look no further. You'll find everything you need at RealizeBandSupport.com .

I started LapBandTalk the night I came home from surgery mid July 2003. Following my own Lap-Band® procedure, I was looking for information and community support. I came across a few helpful web sites, but they all lacked a sense of actually belonging to a group of people who share many similarities, struggles and habits.

After years of researching and reaching out to the community, we've been able to build the most comprehensive online resources for all types of Weight Loss Surgeries. Hundreds of thousands of registered members contribute amazing stories and useful information to our pages.