Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please read! Horrible first surgery!!

HI,

im 20 years old.. about 3 in a half months ago i had my first scheduled surgery. i was very scared about going under for the surgery!all i remember is the bright lights as they strap u in and u fall asleep.(HERE COMES THE SAD PART) the first thing i remember when i woke up, was saying (omg thank god im alive).. now seconds after i hear my doctors voice saying "IM SORRY ADRIAN, i couldnt do it!" i felt like crying! i was still half asleep i kept asking "WHAT HAPPEND?

he said "i had to take a look inside" i couldnt believe it.. i went through so much to get my courage high enough to do it and it was all for nothing!.. he said something about him not sure if he had damaged anything inside! he then said "I OPENED YOU UP" i didnt understand. i was heavily medicated and kept falling in and out of sleep for about 2 hours. when i was fully awake the doctor told me that there was complications and he had to look inside.i payed cash.. so i couldnt afford to stay at a hospital because i have no medical insurance.. they sent me home after 4 or 5 hours. i couldnt walk for for 5 days.. i had strong pains in my stomach.. I NOW HAVE 5 SMALL INCISIONS (normal for this type of surgery) and a HORRIBLE 4 inch scar!!!!!!!!!

long story short... i didnt know what to do!! but i seen my doctor 3 weeks later and then had the second succesfull surgery 1 month ago! i got my 2nd fill 2 days ago... i have lost 19 pounds...

WHAT SHOULD I DO? i wanted to loose weight? but im having thoughts of why i did it and what should i do?? i feel like they butchered my skin!

SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!

Your surgeon did what he felt necessary. I understand that it sucks to have a 4 inch scar, but think about all the weight you are going to lose! I have talked to a few people who have had to have open lapband surgery. Yes it's a bigger scar and yeah it may not look that great, but it was worth it! I know that this isn't the same, but When I was told at 32 weeks pregnant that my unborn son and myself weren't doing well and that either both of us or one of us was going to die...they told me they had to take my son out now. They cut me from my left hip bone to my right hip bone...yeah the scar is long, yeah it's ugly...but it saved my life and the life of my son...if you think about it...your scar is long...it's not what you were expecting...it sucks, but it may have saved your life! I'm 22 so I know it sucks to have you stomach scarred up and to hate the way it looks, but I wouldn't trade in any of my scars...they have saved my life, they have changed my life...My choice was have a nice sexy round flubby belly or take on some scars and lose weight, but have some pretty ugly "battle scars". I can't wait to lose all of my weight and wear something that shows my tummy...I look forward to answering questions about all of my scars...I look forward to telling people about my son and my lapband! I am proud that I made the choice...the right choice...in getting my lapband and I am very proud of my "battle scars" :). I'm always around if you need to talk about it or anything. You can go to my myspace or message me on here. Pick up some Mederma scar treatment...it won't make it disappear completely, but it's something...keep your head up...there is a sun behind all of these clouds :biggrin:

HI,

im 20 years old.. about 3 in a half months ago i had my first scheduled surgery. i was very scared about going under for the surgery!all i remember is the bright lights as they strap u in and u fall asleep.(HERE COMES THE SAD PART) the first thing i remember when i woke up, was saying (omg thank god im alive).. now seconds after i hear my doctors voice saying "IM SORRY ADRIAN, i couldnt do it!" i felt like crying! i was still half asleep i kept asking "WHAT HAPPEND?

he said "i had to take a look inside" i couldnt believe it.. i went through so much to get my courage high enough to do it and it was all for nothing!.. he said something about him not sure if he had damaged anything inside! he then said "I OPENED YOU UP" i didnt understand. i was heavily medicated and kept falling in and out of sleep for about 2 hours. when i was fully awake the doctor told me that there was complications and he had to look inside.i payed cash.. so i couldnt afford to stay at a hospital because i have no medical insurance.. they sent me home after 4 or 5 hours. i couldnt walk for for 5 days.. i had strong pains in my stomach.. I NOW HAVE 5 SMALL INCISIONS (normal for this type of surgery) and a HORRIBLE 4 inch scar!!!!!!!!!

long story short... i didnt know what to do!! but i seen my doctor 3 weeks later and then had the second succesfull surgery 1 month ago! i got my 2nd fill 2 days ago... i have lost 19 pounds...

Well, I had a band and a revision so I have 10 scars on my stomach. Nobody can see the scars but they can see fat. I'll take the scars any 'ol day.

WHAT SHOULD I DO? i wanted to loose weight? but im having thoughts of why i did it and what should i do?? i feel like they butchered my skin!

SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!

What should you do about - what? The scars? Let them heal. The stretch marks will hide the scars anyway. ;o) I'm not sure what you want help with??

QUOTE; What should you do about - what? The scars? Let them heal. The stretch marks will hide the scars anyway. ;o) I'm not sure what you want help with??

idk.. i guess i was just asking like is there anything i could do.. i kinda thought i was the only one that this had happend to.. now i have read more of these like cases!

thank u all for ur support..

QUOTE; What should you do about - what? The scars? Let them heal. The stretch marks will hide the scars anyway. ;o) I'm not sure what you want help with??

idk.. i guess i was just asking like is there anything i could do.. i kinda thought i was the only one that this had happend to.. now i have read more of these like cases!

thank u all for ur support..

When it comes to surgery nothing is promised. Nothing. You can't avoid all complications.

Question, you said you were just banded a month ago and you have already had two fills. What was your post op diet and how long after surgery before your first fill?

What did he find when he did the full open procedure? Why, specifically, did he not band you the first time? What happened?

When it comes to surgery nothing is promised. Nothing. You can't avoid all complications.

Question, you said you were just banded a month ago and you have already had two fills. What was your post op diet and how long after surgery before your first fill?

What did he find when he did the full open procedure? Why, specifically, did he not band you the first time? What happened?

My doctor put me on a Fluid diet for 2 days before my second surgery. an NO i was not banded the first time. i was told he had to open me up because he had to take a close look inside and make sure nothing was damaged. my first surgery left me with 5 small incisions, a 4 inch scar and UNBANDED!

im sorry i had 2 fills in a 5 week period. first fill was 2 weeks after being banded and the second was 19 days later. i was able to eat almost normal. and i was not loosing weight.. i called and made an appointment and my doctor seen me the very next day. he gives me special treatment now. I was a self pay.. and all my fills are now free! well thats what i was told from my doctor.

My doctor put me on a Fluid diet for 2 days before my second surgery. an NO i was not banded the first time. i was told he had to open me up because he had to take a close look inside and make sure nothing was damaged. my first surgery left me with 5 small incisions, a 4 inch scar and UNBANDED!

im sorry i had 2 fills in a 5 week period. first fill was 2 weeks after being banded and the second was 19 days later. i was able to eat almost normal. and i was not loosing weight.. i called and made an appointment and my doctor seen me the very next day. he gives me special treatment now. I was a self pay.. and all my fills are now free! well thats what i was told from my doctor.

He filled you two weeks after surgery???? Yikes. And we wonder why slip stats are increasing in the US.

OP, I'm not blaming you but your doctor... Grrrrrrrrrrr! Your stomach hadn't even healed from surgery yet. Please make sure you do everything in your power not to get stuck or vomit. Your adhesions haven't even formed yet.

Why did he think something was damaged? Why did he need to do the full open?

He filled you two weeks after surgery???? Yikes. And we wonder why slip stats are increasing in the US.

OP, I'm not blaming you but your doctor... Grrrrrrrrrrr! Your stomach hadn't even healed from surgery yet. Please make sure you do everything in your power not to get stuck or vomit. Your adhesions haven't even formed yet.

Why did he think something was damaged? Why did he need to do the full open?

he said he was having trouble cutting me open and putting the tools inside me.. he had to put some pressure and i guess he felt there was a chance something might have gotten damaged,, thats what i was told.. i didnt know much about the procedure before i got it done the first time... i went to the seminar checked my back account then i got it done 2 and a half weeks later!everything was fast. i was just very exited..

and i do try and not over eat so i wont vomit.. but i kinda do.. after i eat something very small, i cant help but take a drink.. therefore i vomit.. WHAT DO U MEAN BY STUCK??

Man, you'd think there would be some stipulation that bariatric surgeons had to spend (x) amount of hours educating potential patients. The OP's doc hosed her.....and she still doesn't really know jack about the basics. I hope her surgeon has a date with karma very soon.

he said he was having trouble cutting me open and putting the tools inside me.. he had to put some pressure and i guess he felt there was a chance something might have gotten damaged,, thats what i was told.. i didnt know much about the procedure before i got it done the first time... i went to the seminar checked my back account then i got it done 2 and a half weeks later!everything was fast. i was just very exited..

and i do try and not over eat so i wont vomit.. but i kinda do.. after i eat something very small, i cant help but take a drink.. therefore i vomit.. WHAT DO U MEAN BY STUCK??

So kinda what you are saying is that you got surgery and now you are starting your research on your procedure type. :smile2:(

I honestly wouldn't know where to begin. Go here, start on Page #1 and read for the next 3 days. No potty breaks. ;o)

Frequently Asked Questions (NEW!) - Lap Band Surgery and Lap Band Discussion Forum

I have to tell you, you are a slip and pouch dilation waiting to happen. I'd be willing to bet money it will happen in the next six months. It is critical that you start reading and don't stop until you have spent at least 40 hours just reading. You have a HUGE amount of information to learn, as does your doctor.

The band manufacturers are pretty clear about not doing fills until 4 weeks. Many docs refuse to do them until 6 weeks after surgery.

Holy cow I am at a loss as what to say!

Adrian, it kinda seems like everything about your situation is backwards. While it is no uncommon for people to go through surgery only to come out without a band, the vast majority of people know exactly why they are without band. For instance, fatty liver or large hernia that needs repair are only two examples.

I am also self pay, and there is absolutely NO way I would let my surgeon operate on me again without knowing exactly what the complications were in detail. Because I was self pay, my surgery was scheduled about one month after my first meeting with my surgeon. In the iterim, I read about 5 different books and was on this website educating myself about the process.

I am shocked you got your first fill only 2 weeks after surgery! I wasn't even hungry 2 weeks later, and I could physically tell I was still swollen from surgery. Then to get another fill right after that seems really contraindicated.

I know this isn't the most comforting post. I sincerely hope things work out ok for you.

I had my band done on Nov 8th and I'll be getting my first fill on Jan 8th. I moaned a bit because my doctor will not do first fills until 8 weeks out and I'm not losing any weight, but I am so greatful now when I read things like this. My surgeon is one of the pioneers of laprascopic lapband surgery, he's done more than 3500 of them and my follow up group in the UK is conservative with fills and I am never going to moan about it again!

I wish you good luck with your band, I hope it all goes smoothly from now on.

I will say one last thing, I am completely freaked out that you were chucked out of the hospital 5 hours after surgery! I had a lot of pain after my op, due to having a low pain threshold and my doctor kept me in for an extra day so the nurses could take care of me, so I had a 2 day stay and it didn't cost me an extra cent!

I was released as soon as I finished a glass of Water and was able to stand and walk around. I was out of there about a half hour after waking up from surgery. I was so glad to get home. I had a 2 hour drive to get home and there was traffic, but I wanted to be in my own bed so badly :tounge_smile: