Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oprah Speaks for Millions

Let me make one thing VERY VERY Clear ... I am NOT Judging Oprah for her weight, her weight struggles or for gaining weight back . What I have an issue w/ , call is judging if you will . I dont think it is . .. But what i have an issue w/ is someone of her "status' (which is think that is blown out of porpotion) or someone who is in the public eye going on TV EVERY Time she loses weight and says crap like " IVE FOUND IT , i have done it i have lost the weight for good, or i have found THE DIET " I take issue w/ that. I would take issue w/ it if it was anyone else.

Let me give you another example. My best friends son died of SIDS almost 9 yrs ago . After learning as much as i could about it you would not believe how many things are out there that say " THE CURE FOR SIDS" There IS NOT ONE ! Nothing pisses me off more than someone saying " USE this blanket its the CURE FOR SIDS" IF there was a CURE Babies would not DIE .

NOW That's like Oprah going on TV and saying THIS DIET IS THE CURE FOR OBESITY ! I take ISSUE with that HUGE issue. If THAT WAS A CURE or the ONE DIET That worked NONE OF US WOULD BE HERE !

It has NOTHING To do with HER WEIGHT. it has to do with HER MOUTH !

make sense ? do not mistake what I am saying as JUDGEMENT On her being over weight. There is a BIG difference as far as im concerend !

Im not saying " OMG Oprah is SO FAT give me a break , hse just needs to have the band cause it works and she will be fat until she has it . What she does wont ever work "

Im not saying that.

MIndy

I quit Oprah years ago, so excuse if Im behind but what is her excuse for not having wls? As much as she has a phobia about weight(always has) what is her hold up? She is putting off the inevitable, we all see it(superstar). I feel she could conquer the beast once and for all with surgical help, trainers, chef, psych, and psycholigist who could help her.

Just my 2 cents.

amanda

let me say that oprah is definately not an example to follow anyway!!!! Look at her lifestyle, she's miserable. It's going to take more than "spiritual teachers" and "inner voices" to straighten her out. Until she comes back to her roots with "jesus" she will be headed for disaster on every path that she takes. Wake up oprah!
amen!!!! Amen!!!!!!!!

Oprah may speak for millions but she doesn't speak for me and she never will.

I quit Oprah years ago, so excuse if Im behind but what is her excuse for not having wls? As much as she has a phobia about weight(always has) what is her hold up? She is putting off the inevitable, we all see it(superstar). I feel she could conquer the beast once and for all with surgical help, trainers, chef, psych, and psycholigist who could help her.

Just my 2 cents.

amanda

I dont think anyone or Oprah has to have an "excuse" to not have WLS . Its not for everyone , I get that. She should not have to come out and say why she is not having it . BUT she should not come out and say why others should NOT either.

if she choses not to have it that's her own deal. Just dont tell me you have found the CURE for being fat because your on TV.

Certain people feel differently about surgery . im not one that thinks because i had it and it worked EVERYONE should.

I do however think that WLS should not have to be a last resort , desperate measure like others do and push .

Just my 2 cents

Mindy

Im not debating it, but she keeps going on and on about it and surgery is out there, so why not if it helps? It does help many and an alternative to being fat for O too. I personally wouldnt want to live "fat and Happy" as I have told myself that lie for years, but may be truth for O, we dont know. I gained/lost the same 50/60lbs she is combating 4 x until I just became exhausted. If she needs band, its available. maddy

She could probably get the band and no one would even know. She could just say she is on another one of her diets. I actually thought she might have gotten it this last time she lost weight because she kept it off for so long.

One of the tabloid magazines says Oprah's going to have gastric bypass, but those mags are wrong as often as they're right.

I hate the attitude that by having WLS you're taking the easy way out, that you're not "earning" your weight loss. As if putting up with 100 extra pounds for 20 years isn't "earning" it. People who don't have obesity problems look at it like cosmetic surgery.

I received the mag yesterday, and I have to say the caption was very honest and self-degrading. I don't think she is full of herself at all. I think it takes courage to get up there and post a pic of yourself on the cover like that. What bugs me is that fact that she always has to pose for a cutesy pic on the front cover. I think deep down she does not like herself at all. It's actually very sad and a good point that was made that with all her resources she still strugges.

Lets not forget she is in the entertainment field and she had to write about SOMETHING every month, so just take it as is and get over it.

Who cares? In the end it is "me" getting on that scale every morning and Me that I have to answer to. My business.

ILets not forget she is in the entertainment field and she had to write about SOMETHING every month, so just take it as is and get over it.

Lol, no she doesnt. She could always just shut up.

Sorry, but I have to agree-- she's no better than the rest of us, but- she does prove that lots of money and a team of weight loss guru's can't stop that thing we all, including Oprah, have in us that eventually makes us gain back the weight we worked so hard to loose. So, it just validates my desire to have a band- She should consider a band herself.. one thing is for sure, if her insurance won't cover her surgery she'll have no trouble with self-pay.......

i was thinking the exact same thing !

Oprah is about the best example of narcissism in our society as I have ever observed. She tries to make up for her self-perceived "flaws" by over-compensating. She shows off her "generosity" as much as possible, yet has no real connection to actual REAL LIFE. I live in Chicago; I have been watching her for years. It's all an act, and she does it to make herself more money.

The issue with her weight is HER issue. She has to deal with it the same as the rest of us. The biggest difference is that she somehow thinks that she's SO wonderful that if she "speaks out" about her issues, that it will somehow "help" all of us poor, unfortunate souls, who have nothing to live for.

I haven't watched Oprah since I was in college 10 years ago. She is a hypocrite and is out for herself.

Why does she always put herself on the cover of the magazines? It looks like she could put some plus size models or some real people on the cover.

I quit her years ago and I live in Texas, but was happy to see she came out on top with ranchers/meat battle as she did no wrong to anyone. Beyond that shes O,O, OPRAH, all about herself. I got tired of her so she was easy to quit.

She doesnt want to deal w/fat issues, but the rest of us do?

Quit complaining, get band(if you need it) and show other obese people a new way , nothing wrong with being spokesperson for new way of life living at appropriate weight. Happy, Happy O

Why does she always put herself on the cover of the magazines? It looks like she could put some plus size models or some real people on the cover.

good point ! i mean, martha stewart has her own magazine, but she's rarely on the cover.