Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Deal With Head Hunger ?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for letting me ask a bunch of questions.

How are you handling / dealing with head hunger since you've had the surgery? Is it even an issue now ?

NJChick

Yep. It's much easier to ignore with proper restriction. i just tell myself to get over it. Sounds easy, but it isn't when you are in the middle of a stress-out and THINK you need those chips or Cookies. It's hard not to shove when you are used to it. Right now I have a house full of kiddos running around like little rugrats, and I'm munching on thin sliced smoked turkey breast. Not exactly a choclate chip cookie, but it'll do. Better go intervene!

Well...head hunger will always be an issue. I've notice now a couple times that when I went on my usual just home from work binge that instead of a whole bag of chips THEN ice cream THEN something else, it's more like....a half cup of tuna with mayo....a lo carb ice cream bar.....and then I'm stuffed.

Nice!

When I have the proper restriction,I have to remind myself to eat. I do not even think about food. If the occassion does arise, I will drink a 20 oz of bottle of Water and most times that will work, the other thing is to keep yourself busy. Find a hobbie, keep your hands busy, knitting, quilting, coming here and posting, reading etc...

I HATE HEAD HUNGER!!!!!!!!!!! It is very much still a problem with me! But I can usually ignor it by going WAY WAY far from kitchen. I usually go to the computer and log on to the #1 group here, or go outside, or work on my scrapbooking. Just find something else you enjoy doing other than eating. It's hard but we can fight through it.

I can be sickly full and if I see something good I still want to eat it. One of my bigest problems still is NOT finishing everything on my plate. I really have to remind myself that it is ok to leave something on my plate when I am full. I keep thinking "God, this is good, I have to finish it." Well I don't have to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! put down the damn spoon!!!

It will get better wont it?

OH BOY, not thinking about food would be a dream.

I think it will take a long time but we have to convince ourselves that we need to eat to live and not live to eat. I hope to convince myself of that one day soon. I have posted a pitcure of myself weighing what I want to weigh again on the refrigerator so I am hoping that will help with the head hunger. Try to picture your goal and how good that will feel. Like they say "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels". I keep telling myself that and have it posted on the refrig. for a reminder.

Sometimes I allow my tummy to start grwoling before I actaully eat someting. This helps me figure out of its head hunger or actual hunger... notice I said sometimes! easier said then done. But if you CAN do it, you will reap the benefits :D (quicker weight loss)

Somedays I deal with it quite well, and other times... not so well. I find that if I eat on time, almost scheduled, I do much better. On the rare occasion that the head hunger is more than I feel I can handle, I drink a big glass of ice Water. Cold makes my band get really tight (no more frozen margaritas for me...), and that seems to help with the head hunger

Paula, I've tried to wait until I get honestly hungry to eat, but when I do that, then something gets stuck. The BAD stuck, not the other kind.

NJChick, your avatar is an old favorite around here! When Jammin Jamie (Jammin' and Losin') first joined, she chose this little guy because he looked like he was jammin and losin! Some said he looked like he was doing the pee-pee dance, then we called him the pee-pee dancer. I used him as my avatar during my 10-day countdown to band surgery because I was SOOOO excited and nervous! He just FITS doesn't he?! Anyway, Love that little pee-pee dancin, jammin and losin fella! OH, he's a she, now! It's NJChick, getting nervous and excited!!! Yippeee!!

Cold makes my band get really tight (no more frozen margaritas for me...),

Ha! That means I ASK for the margarita!!! (We're getting to be such cheap dates!)

I HATE HEAD HUNGER!!!!!!!!!!! It is very much still a problem with me! But I can usually ignor it by going WAY WAY far from kitchen. I usually go to the computer and log on to the #1 group here, or go outside, or work on my scrapbooking. Just find something else you enjoy doing other than eating. It's hard but we can fight through it.

I can be sickly full and if I see something good I still want to eat it. One of my bigest problems still is NOT finishing everything on my plate. I really have to remind myself that it is ok to leave something on my plate when I am full. I keep thinking "God, this is good, I have to finish it." Well I don't have to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! put down the damn spoon!!!

It will get better wont it?

OH BOY, not thinking about food would be a dream.

I hear Ya!!! Everything youre saying and more....*sigh* oink is my middle name!

:D

Well, the frozen margarita is the difference between eating 1/2 an entree and attempting to eat 1/2 an entree and getting stuck.

I have been trying some things to get ready for eating onece I am banded. One thing that seems to be working for me is putting my food on a small plate and eating with a small crab fork. It takes me as long to finish the meal (which is a much smaller portion) but since it takes as long my head seems to think I have eaten a "normal" meal.

Glad to know about the cold stuff and band restriction. That information might just save me from one of those dreded PB's.

NJChick, your avatar is an old favorite around here! When Jammin Jamie (Jammin' and Losin') first joined, she chose this little guy because he looked like he was jammin and losin! Some said he looked like he was doing the pee-pee dance, then we called him the pee-pee dancer. I used him as my avatar during my 10-day countdown to band surgery because I was SOOOO excited and nervous! He just FITS doesn't he?! Anyway, Love that little pee-pee dancin, jammin and losin fella! OH, he's a she, now! It's NJChick, getting nervous and excited!!! Yippeee!!

He does look like he's gotta pee LOL

Getting nervous :nervous ummmmmmmmm yeah.

Just this morning I called my insurance to double check on the coverage, then I double checked on the doctor, THEN I made the appointment to go to the seminar required by the doctor. My stomach is in knots, my nerves are shot and I feel like I could swallow a herd of cows. This will pass by tomorrow I'm sure but EEEEEEEEEEGADS !!!!!!!! Good thing I'm working alone today and I can just day dream lol

thanks everyone :)