Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost two years out..... and I can't FIND the wagon I fell off of

Guest HelenM72

Guest HelenM72

Hello everyone. Good grief, it says I haven't visited this site since 7-26-2003. That was BEFORE my surgery! Anyway, I am here hoping to find the strength to catch up with the wagon I "jumped" off of about a year ago. I won't even begin to go into all that has happened in my life in the last year, and the bottom line is, I had surgery 8-22-03, at a high weight of 345. I have moved almost 8 hours from my surgeon, and haven't seen him in over a year. I have not had any luck finding a surgeon to take me on. I guess I got discouraged and I am guessing that I've put back on a large, very large, portion of the 100 pounds I'd lost. I don't think my band needs to be adjusted, I think I need to be adjusted. I'm eating the wrong things, the wrong amounts, DRINKING REGULAR COCA-COLAS, etc. I am now at the point that I am so angry with myself for allowing this to happen. I need a kick people. I think I've all but forgotten the "band rules".

Thanks for listening. I'm hoping to put myself on the right track, starting right this very second. I feel myself slowing creeping back to the days of misery, and that's NOT what I did this for.

Hugs to all,

~Helen

Hi Helen --

Thanks so much for sharing your story... I am sure there are others in your same situation out there, but have perhaps avoided boards such as this one. Having been unfilled from band slippage and again for health reasons, I totally see how easy it is to re-gain weight. The good news for you is you haven't experienced any complications that would prohibit you from a good, healthy fill! That's what makes the band work!

But, as everyone will tell you, the band only works if you're working IT. Where are you? Have you contacted Inamed about surgeons in your area -- or at least closer than 8 hours? They have a vested interest in your success.

Meanwhile... browse around for reminders about the band rules...many of which are just good rules in general for health. Get plenty of fluids (but not around mealtimes), exercise, small portions, etc. I know, I know. Easier said than done.

We are here for you, girl.

Elizabeth

8-28-03

Hi Helen,

Congratulations for coming out of the closet and finding your way back to a band support group! It's time for you to take care of yourself and you know that losing weight is a great way to do that. Your band is there to help you, if you can get it together to help your band do its thing.

First, STOP WITH THE REGULAR COKES!!! What, are you nuts? :D If you must drink soda just reach for a diet. Before you know it you'll be accustomed to the flavor and you'll be saving more than a hundred calories every single time.

Another great thing to get you motivated is registering at Fitday.com and logging your intake. This is totally private and you don't have to share it with anyone, so be as completely honest as you can. This is a very eye-opening exercise which can really help you make even small changes that will cut your calories.

And keep coming here!! You're not alone and we're here to cheer you on. We'll help you find that wagon! :)

Hi Helen, Welcome back!

Congratulations! you just took the first step "getting back on that wagon".

What about a nutricionist (sp?) ?? Do you think talking with one will help refresh you to the bandsters rules?

Or what about your surgeon... maybe make an appointment with him so he can give you a kick in the right direction.

You have this tool to help you lose weight - so you are one of the fortunate ones! Do you know how many people out there would LOVE to have your band?

You can do it - youve done it before!!!!!!

Aw, Helen, we're glad you joined us again. Even though your surgeon is now eight hours away, if you haven't had any luck finding a local doc, maybe it's worth a trip to see him. You say you need a head adjustment, but your band might need an adjustment too. Even if you don't need a fill, at least you can get checked out to make sure your GI system is OK. What you do next is up to you. We'll try to see you through whatever decision you make. Hang in there!

Welcome back Helen!!!!!!!!!!

(((KICK IN THE BUTT)))

That was what you needed so that is what you'll get.

Good for you for getting back in control- start by reading everything you can on LBT - your mind will soon remember all the good rules to follow.

Take this weekend to set yourself up for success!

Clean out the house of all the crap & go shopping for the right stuff! Have yourself a big garage sale next week & do a huge cleansing of the entire home if possible.

Prepare some meals ahead of time that are band friendly & freeze them.

Buy yourself the "bullet" just for fun to say I am back on track & ready to stay there.

Be mindful of what is around you & how you can exercise a little more than you did the day before. Even if its just 10 mins.

Set small goals for yourself that are obtainable. You can do this- YOU HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE :0)

Good for you taking control back- thats the first step!

Wow even I am more motivated now-LOL LOL

Hey!!!! Good on you for making the first step. Seeing your post makes me realise if I dont watch myself and follow the band rules I can very easily put my weight back on and end up back where I started. I too fall of the wagon weekly, but manage to get myself back on by the next week. I know how easy it must have been for you after losing such a large amount of weight to kind of relax and slip back into your old ways... Good on you for losing the weight to start with and just goes to show you can do it again.

Good Luck and hope to see you around :)

I found a wagon!

Gosh darn this thing is stuck in these sticker bushes. Ok - got it free, and I'm dragging it over to you right now.

On the side of the wagon it says:

"No sugar and no milk"

"No Fluid with your meals"

"Small meals"

Remember one day at a time. If you get bumped off the wagon, get right back on the next day, or the next meal, or the next minute.

One day is a time amount I can handle. And I keep telling myself that - "I can make it through this day" - and I do, I manage to not make too many errors, and I just go on - one day at a time.

Fitday.com has changed the way I'm looking at food. I've never been a calorie counter before - but that website is amazing - and it makes me think about what I'm eating.

My o My, what's wrong w/milk? I thought we were SUPPOSED to drink it to assist weight loss. There's another thread about it here somewhere.

Helen: That wagon keeps booting you off right. So upgrade it to a newer model and put in a virus blocker for a specific "falling off the wagon" filter.

Hey we all fall every once in a while. Some of us every day we teeter on the edge. Most days we pull ourselves back and firmly plant our feet back in the bed of the wagon and other days we just put one foot in and one foot out. Then still other days we JUMP for joy of falling off that damn wagon. The only thing that matters is to not beat yourself up over it. You know deep in your band heart what is needed to get back on track.

We are here to help guide you in that direction. We are all in the same situation here. We do understand.

Guest HelenM72

Thank you guys soooo much! Boy, the last few days have been so rough.... There's not enough time to even go into it, but I did want to come back and respond so you didn't think I was looking for encouragement and just not coming back. I'm here!

I guess I should point out that I've not had an "all good" band experience. My band was toooooo tight for over 5 months and I was sick as a dog before realizing the "fill" that was "unfilled and bloody" wasn't fill at all, and that my port had flipped... Anyhoo, I had to have surgery to take care of that, and I guess after that I realized I really could eat, and I have.... And some days I think I have soft food syndrome, and some days I don't. I guess it's true that stress really does play a role in the band being fickle at times.

Oh, thanks for bringing the wagon to me!!! Love you guys!

Helen,

My doctor told me the biggest thing that makes the band and the gb fail is what we drink. We can take in a termendous amount of calories simply by drinking the wrong things. So make up your mind and quit the regular pop, sweet tea, alcholic beverages and milkshakes. Then remember that foods that don't need to be chewed are eating around the band. Good luck to you. You can do it.