Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hey everyone :wink2: I was banded on 11/12/08. I was talking to a friend today and she mentioned someone else she knew who had lapband - their hair thinned out for about 6 months. In my reading before surgery this did not seem like a common thing. Has anyone else lost a large amount of hair post op? I dont want that to happen! :rolleyes:

Yes, this is very common. There are tons of threads on here about it. I had surgery in May and my hair started falling out in August. It is just now starting to get a little better. From what I have read it usually happens about 3 months after surgery.

I did too. Had surgery in May and my hair was falling out really bad by August. It is all growing back now and I am not sure because they are short little spikes of hair right now but it seems to be coming in thicker. My hair has always been baby fine and on the thin side so that would be great!

I've heard that sometimes this happens when your body is low of Protein. I'm not sure though. I have been trying to keep my hubby's protein level up. He doesn't have much hair to begin with. LOL We plan on asking the dr next week.

It typically happens for three possible reasons

1) Trauma from surgery and/or rapid weight loss

2) Not getting enough Protein

3) Not getting enough Vitamin B/Biotin

Hi, I was banded on 8/29/08 and began to see the hair thinning happen about a month ago. So I was instructed by my dr to take Biotin supplements 5000mg per day and to make sure I get my Protein in daily. I just started the Biotin this week but I have talked to several people on it and they say it definately helps with Hair loss. While I don't want my hair to fall out or thin, I feel that this is such a small price to pay for the chance to be at my ideal weight PLUS happy!! GOOD thing is it gets better after time :thumbup:

Good luck!!!:smile2:

Yes, if your Hair loss is due to lack of B-Vitamins and Biotin then it definitely helps with hair loss. Either way it certainly doesn't hurt to take it, it really improves the quality of your hair and nails.

I am 3 almost 4 weeks post op. I am having hair thinning. I know mine is because I'm not getting enough Protein in. I am working hard on that. Dr says it will come back in time. So I went and got a perm to thicken it up. Hopefully that works for awhile. Good luck to all!

Kelli.

I just started to notice that my hair started to fall out about a week ago. Went for my 2nd fill today. Dr. said I am not eating enough. He suggested I consult with the nutritionist, but suggested I drink a shake in the morning, but just the thought of it makes me sick. Any good Breakfast bar suggestions with high Protein?

Well, I started losing a lot of hair during the pre-op diet. Not so much now post op, but plenty of Hair loss pre-op.:)

Yep, happened to me too. Had surgery in March. Started to notice in July that my hair was really coming out. I normally have very thick hair, so it has been an adjustment, but it has definitely slowed down now. My daughter is my hairdresser and she says that there are spikes about one inch long growing all over my head now, so I guess it is coming back. I too take the Biotin now.

I take Biotin every day and haven't had a Hair loss problem (although I am only 2 months post-op). In terms of Protein Bars, the Odwalla Super Protein bars and the South Beach High Protein bars aren't too bad. I don't like chocolate or Peanut Butter and the Odwalla bars are more fruity/oat tasting. THe South Beach bars come in lots of different flavors. I like the cinnamon-raisin.

Thanks for all the great replies :smile2: I will be going out to get some Biotin soon!

I started taking Biotin 5000mg and i started breaking out like 2 days after i started taking it. I really dont like the break out thing but would like to continue to take them can anyone help me?:rolleyes2: