Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which side is your port on? Choice?

Does everyone's port go on the same side? Which? Or do you have a choice-or maybe it's Dr's. preference? I'm asking because I HAVE to sleep on my right side (problems with both my left shoulder and my left side) and I have enough trouble getting to sleep without something else (seems like many can feel theirs). Just curious!:)

***UPDATE***

I found out at my AGH seminar yesterday that surgeons have the ability to put it ANYWHERE in your abdomen (and they use both types of bands)! A man, who has to wear a harness a lot as he works construction, asked the question before I could. Apparently the harness covers most of his abdomen. Dr. Uchal explained "Don't worry about it, we'll find a place around it...do you want it in your neck?"...ha ha!

I've since read that a lot of people do avoid where most of their pants/belt hit so it won't be uncomfortable. Do you think I could mark an "X" on my belly before surgery? I'll check ;-)

Edited by Band_Groupie

Mine is smack in the middle -- right under the breastbone.

I'm a stomach sleeper. The first week after surgery, it hurt too much to sleep on my stomach, so I slept on my back. But, after that, it's been stomach sleeping all they way.

on my left side - bellow the breastbone.

i can feel it & see it (raised after weightloss)....good thing , i sleep on my right side as well & i didn't have this discussion prior to banding with my dr - which might be a good idea.

Glad you brought it up, I'll ask my surgeon when we meet. (sometime soon I hope, waiting on my Nuerologist):)

***See UPDATE*** in orginal post top.

All & luluc- You can see it:eek:!!!!! Yikes:scared2:!!! I'm not sure what a breastbone is...do you mean just below your last rib? So you'd suggest a little lower down? Or as a skinny person...where would you recommend? It sits ontop of your muscles right? It's been so long since I've had a flat stomach I can't picture where would be best (right now they could hide it anywhere on "Mt. Mushy" and it wouldn't matter).:tongue2: So here's hoping I can "see" my port someday!

that's great you asked & it can be placed anywhere. i've read some have it in their shoulder and there is also a low profile port - don't know much about that one.

mine was placed to the left of my belly button. as i lost weight it crept up... it is now right under where my sports bra / bra rests. i was worried it was floating about, by my dr assured me it's intact but you can totally notice it. i call her trudy (protruding port) - i'll take it over the excess weight..LOL

The breastbone is the bone in the middle of your chest that connects your ribs. And, my port is just below that, so kind of dead center. It's just low enough so that my bra doesn't touch it.

Of course, I'm only a month out of surgery, so I have no idea what it will look like when I actually lose the weight.

Mine is on the left side, just under my ribs. It kinda pokes out abit. It is easily bumped with things, like when I carry things or step to close to something. I am wondering if put it on the opposite side of your dominating hand......

My port is on my left side, just under my rib cage. I can feel mine but it does not stick out yet, hopefully as I loose more it does not bulge out horribly but I will not mind at all, small sacrifices.

So it seems like everyone's is up pretty high? I thought some would also have it low-below the belt line? Shoulder?!!! I can't imagine that not buggin' me there. Wow-maybe he wasn't kidding when he said "neck".

"trudy" LOL...how can "she" move from your belly button up to just under your bra (I realize that measurement gets smaller as you do, but still that's min. 6", right?!)?:tongue2:

Oh...I almost forgot!! Cool news!:tongue2:

At the AGH seminar the Doc told us that laproscopic surgery is coming for the Lap where they will enter ONLY through the belly button (no 5 scars)...and even better...someone made a flip comment about having a remote for your port and he said a portless LB is also in the works...maybe it WOULD come with a remote control:shades_smile:!

Oh...I almost forgot!! Cool news!:tongue2:

At the AGH seminar the Doc told us that laproscopic surgery is coming for the Lap where they will enter ONLY through the belly button (no 5 scars)...and even better...someone made a flip comment about having a remote for your port and he said a portless LB is also in the works...maybe it WOULD come with a remote control:shades_smile:!

My port is what sounds like the most common place, about an inch above my belly button and over toward my left arm an inch. I have lost 90+ pounds so I can see and feel it, but I would rather that than have the 90+ pounds back.

There is a doctor in Texas doing the single incision lapbands. Someone posted a message here who was getting ready to have it done, and she posted a link to his website. It is:

http://www.austinbariatricinstitute.com/surgical-procedures/single-incision-lap-band-weight-loss-surgery.htm . I sent it to my surgeon to read. I think I also read about a radio frequency controlled port, or something like that but I don't remember the specifics. The above link makes for good reading.

Thanks for the link...really good info. Wish they offered it here!

Yeah...he said it would have something external (like a remote) that would control the fill. :Dancing_sorry:

I just phoned my Dr's office to ask how they chose where to put a port. They said that he always puts them on the left just below the ribs because that everyone is the same when it comes to finding it for fills.