Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone had an "unfill"?

I posted a thread a week or so ago about getting worried about the symptoms I was having. I was finally able to get into to see my surgeon and she did an "unfill." Here's the basics...I have a 4cc band and on October 14, 2008, I had my 5th fill, putting me at 2.5ccs. Since then, I have been really sick with vomiting (not that often, but more often than before) stomach pain (like a stabbing pain), nausea, heartburn/acid reflux and port pain.

My "unfill" brought me down to 2.25ccs and my surgeon told me that if I wasn't feeling better by Friday, then I needed to come back and get more out (this was yesterday). I've never had an "unfill" before and I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this and HOW SOON was the relief after you had the unfill? I am still feeling sick, still with port pain, stomach pains (the sharp ones) and some what feels like heartburn/some chest pain.

My PCP physician gave me Protonix last Friday to help with what was going on and it did help, but it doesn't quite last all day either. And I'm not sure if it's masking some of the symptoms I would be having if I wasn't taking it.

Anyone, have anything? :D

I had a small unfill taking me from 3 to 2.8 about four months ago. I wasnt having too bad symptoms, but I just got very tight, to the point where I felt I wasnt eating properly and I was embarrassed by how little I ate when I ate with others, started to worry every time I had to eat out about whether it would go down etc. I figured i didnt need to be that tight for maintenance.

I also had just the teeniest bit of mucous everytime I ate, after I while I noticed I was clearing my throat all the time.

Since I'd lost all my weight, I figured there was no need to push it on the tightness, so I went and had a small unfill.

The unfill made no differnce for about three weeks. and then suddenly, it just let go and I was wide open. I suspect that some period problems I'd been having, which resolved at the same time, were the cause of my random tightness.

I managed to maintain my weight for a good three months but over time, I've really had to work to control my appetite, its amazing how much difference just .2cc can make. Over the last 3 weeks, I've finally gained about 4lb, so I'm getting the fill back in today to see how I go with it this time.

Its ALWAYS sensible to unfill. Being too tight can damage your band. Get some out, let things settle and then refill if you need to. As you can see, a 4lb gain is not much to really worry about, that'll probably be gone by this time next week, and its as much to do with how busy I've been and have been doing a bit less exercise as a result.

Dont hesitate, if you need it out, get it out and let your band and stomach settle down.

Its also rather a nice holiday from being restricted *guilty grin*. I've rather enjoyed what I've been able to eat but it cant go on for ever, lol.

I haver been unfilled since April. I was unfilled in preparation for my Tummy Tuck. I live 6 hours from my band Dr. and my surgeon preferred me to be unfilled for the surgery. It was done in his office, and not a big deal--the unfill I mean! I had my TT, and was able to maintain without much issue at all.

Then about the middle of Sept. I got a stomach virus and puked for hours--finally meds kicked in and it eased, but I was not able to keep anything down, even after I felt better, and the illness went away. I struggled with it for days, actually for almost 2 weeks. Eventually not even liquids would pass. I originally thought I had swollen my stomach around the band area, and just needed to give it time to reduce in size. When that didn't happen I saw my Dr. and I was put on IV hydration, and went to see my band surgeon expecting that I had slipped. When he did his testing, we found my real problem was a twisted intestine! I had surgery for it, and he said he removed the last bit of Fluid from my band, while he was inside, and manipulated the intestine back to proper position. Well that little bit of saline that had remained in the band despite the unfill, was helping a lot! Since the intestinal surgery, it is much harder to maintain my weight. I am struggling with some pounds I put on during this time, and am considering a fill in the near future. It is MY doing, I KNOW I am eating wrong, so first I want to wrap my head around things....and try to gain some control on my own.

The unfill is definitely the way to go if you are experiencing pain or serious reflux, that can cause damage to your esophagus, and lead to a diseased esophagus, which is not what you want!!

If you have more removed, just do your best to continue to eat like a bandster--------and to exercise, use the lessons that the band taught you to continue on, then re fill at a slow and steady pace....which is my plan!!!

Good Luck!!

Kat

Continuing with the unfill theme, I had .5ml and an air bubble removed a week ago as I was too tight. Feeling great now, but man, can I eat!!!!

I failed to ask my surgeon how long I should wait for a refill as I was just so relieved to be able to swallow Water without pain.

So, what do y'all think is a good amount of time to let my stomach rest after two weeks of being too tight and retching several times?

I want more control, but not at the risk of my stomach or esophagus.

I am thinking of calling early to mid-December as my surgeon books about 3 weeks out. That would give me 6-7 weeks of my current fill level.

Thanks for any opinions!!

Denise

Well, the .25cc unfill didn't work and I went back a couple of days later and my surgeon did a complete unfill. I have no Fluid in my band right now. This happened on Friday (11/14) She told me if I wasn't better by Monday, then I would have to come back again. So I have an appointment tomorrow at 11 to see her again.

I am still having port pain, nausea (it gets a lot worse after I eat anything!) reflux/heartburn (that causes pain in my stomach and my chest) and sharp pains in my stomach.

Does anyone have ANY idea what might be wrong? I have no Fluid in my band-but I'm still sick!

I don't have a clue as to what might be wrong, but I just wanted to wish you well. I hope you get everything worked out soon!!! Stay positive!