Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill and Thanksgiving?

Hi!

I am SO excited because I will soon have my first fill. My question is--it is three days before Thanksgiving and I'm wondering what I'll be able to eat on Turkey Day?

Any ideas? Only a few close family members know about my surgery and I really want to keep that info private for now.

Thanks!

~~anne

It depends on what your doctor has as his protocol, for me after a fill, it was Clear liquids for 1 day then full liquid for 2 days then soft 2 days etc... I think you would be able to do cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, maybe blend up some turkey and dilute with gravy.

If you are having others for dinner that don't know, put the usual stuff on the plate and eat only what you can, usually everyone is busy chatting they don't pay much attention.

Congratulations on your band!!! Good luck!!

My doctor only requires 24 hours of soft foods after a fill.. I was to have my first today, but someone screwed up with scheduling and I had to leave without it and must go back tomorrow..... I'm a bit anxious.... This is another instance of every doctor being different in what the say.... Good luck.. Julie

Anne,

Thanks for posting....I think we must be scheduled for our fill on the same day, 11/24/08.

This saves me the trouble of having to ask the questions :D

I would consider postponing until after Thanksgiving. Especially as you don't want everyone to know of your surgery.

I was to have my first fill 2 weeks before a cruise. I postponed until after. I was afraid of having problems while being so far from home. After my first fill I did not feel much restriction and would likely have been OK, but I didn't want to risk it.

Just my thoughts!

Denise

I called the office and they were shocked that the girl had scheduled me for right before Thanksgiving. They said that would not be a good idea as sometimes the first fills can be too restrictive and it may be difficult to get back in with the holiday. The first day I would eat solid food would be Thanksgiving.

I'm scheduled for Dec. 1st now and happy even if I may eat a little more or be a little hungrier for the next week.

Thanks for your help!

~~anne

Thanks for posting this! I am having my first fill the day before Thanksgiving. My family too does not know I have had this procedure. However since I have 4 young kids they will never know that I didn't touch my plate!

I am so pissed that Thanks Giving is 2 days away. I went shopping for all the food and everything; thinking that todays appointment was only going to be a post op follow up. I even called and asked 3 days ago. The nurse said I would not have a fill. Well guess what. The doc put in 4 cc. into my 8 cc band. That is not the problem at all. I was actually very thankful.... until his decided to put me back on a liquid diet for 3 DAYSSSS.. That means no Thanks Giving food for me. I want to lose the weight more then anything. But ohhh I could taste that food in my mouth.. This is so bitter sweet.:)

I am so pissed that Thanks Giving is 2 days away. I went shopping for all the food and everything; thinking that todays appointment was only going to be a post op follow up. I even called and asked 3 days ago. The nurse said I would not have a fill. Well guess what. The doc put in 4 cc. into my 8 cc band. That is not the problem at all. I was actually very thankful.... until his decided to put me back on a liquid diet for 3 DAYSSSS.. That means no Thanks Giving food for me. I want to lose the weight more then anything. But ohhh I could taste that food in my mouth.. This is so bitter sweet.:P

I'm so sorry :). Did you ask if you could eat soft foods Thursday? Call tomorrow and ask.

~~anne

I had my first fill on Monday and everything went great. I had not been in bandster hell, so I wasn't sure if I would even need a fill.

It turns out that when he tested my band at the time of surgey, he lets the Fluid leak back out and he keeps whatever amount stays in.....I was pre-filled with 2.2 cc's. I guess that explains why I wasn't starving all this time.

My surgeon found the port on the first try, and added a mere 1 cc to my already 2.2cc's for a total of 3.2cc's.

I'm down 21 pounds in less then 2 months, feel great, and looooove my band!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

I have made it to Detroit for my first follow-up and am not sure if I can get a fill or not... I hope so. I ate sooo much last night at the hotels restaurant - that I need some restriction. This was the first time I've eaten this much since surgery - I've been so good & careful. My nerves were high and the chicken strips were sooo tasty!

My appointment is for 1pm; I am on here reading and searching to see what I am allowed to eat before and after (in case of a fill).

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I had my 2nd fill yesterday. I knew right up front that I was doing this before Thanksgiving and that I might not be able to eat but you know what???????????????

I've damned ate anything and everything for 44 years of my life and I can promise you I haven't ever missed a meal. Which is why I had surgery. (saying this in fun so don't misunderstand)

As far as others finding out. I would follow drs orders first and then you can play with what food is on your plate and no,one will probably even notice. And maybe this is the time to stop worrying about what others think. All that matters is that you feel good. I would hate to make poor decisions based on others. You know what I mean?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

We drove over to Detroit for my first fill yesterday - there was no pain at all. My surgeon did the fill and let me know he does them at 4cc's at a time, which from reading here... I sort of thought that was a bit much. He let me know my band holds 12cc's. lot?"

He easily gave me the 4cc's and a cup of Water, I gaged and fluids came back up twice. He quickly removed all fluids and slowly inserted 4 (to see if it would fit - it did)... he released it down to leave 3.5 cc's total. I felt sooo much better!

And I do feel restriction... even tho my greedy self put some of my sisters homemade stuffing / dressing on a spoon twice and really enjoyed the flavor as I swallowed it down very slowly today :blush:.

Well I was a bad girl, I am having my 3rd fill December 11th. But today I ate just a small amount of food at dinner. It was later tonight about 8:00 I was hungry. So....I got a small plate with a spoonful of stuffing and a bit of turkey and some fat free gravy, Well after just a few bites I felt terrible.

I slimmed for a half an hour and some of the stuffing came back up. uggggg I don't think I will ever eat stuffing again it was pretty disgusting.

Now feeling much better. Waiting an hour and then will have a nice cup of sugar free coco. My treat for the day.

Sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach that's for sure. The band does keep you from overeating that much I know. Duh!!!!!!!