Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal for a 3 months post op

Other then the scares on my stomach I really can not tell that I have a band. I have had two fills. my first brought me to 2.6 cc and my second brough me to 3.6 cc in a 10cc band. I can eat anything i want. I can still eat a whole bagel. a whole slice of pizza, a bowl of Pasta, a whole sandwich. I have never thrown up from eating to much, and I have never had slimming. I never had PB, I wonder could i just need more fills, or does anyone think that my pouch has streched? I though that this was finally going to be my answer and i would finally get this weight off, but now i am starting to worry that nothing will work for me. HELP. :rolleyes2:

Other then the scares on my stomach I really can not tell that I have a band. I have had two fills. my first brought me to 2.6 cc and my second brough me to 3.6 cc in a 10cc band. I can eat anything i want. I can still eat a whole bagel. a whole slice of pizza, a bowl of Pasta, a whole sandwich. I have never thrown up from eating to much, and I have never had slimming. I never had PB, I wonder could i just need more fills, or does anyone think that my pouch has streched? I though that this was finally going to be my answer and i would finally get this weight off, but now i am starting to worry that nothing will work for me. HELP. :rolleyes2:

I am sorry you feel that way I also am three months since the operation and I feel hungry must of the time I also feel like I can eat anything I had lost 40 pounds so far but I feel like I haven't lost any thing since my last visit. You are not alone.

Wow 40lbs thats great.Congratulations! Thanks, that makes me feel better.

It is perfectly normal, relax. It just means you aren't anywhere near your sweet spot yet. Some people only need a couple of fills, others need heaps. It will happen, try to be patient. While you are waiting, try your hardest to modify what you eat so you aren't eating the way you used to. When you go back for your next fill (or before if it worries you that much), speak with your doctor. Ask him/her what might be going on.

"I can still eat a whole bagel. a whole slice of pizza, a bowl of Pasta, a whole sandwich. "

Well put it this way, when pre-banding would you have stopped at ONE slice of pizza? How often after eating a "whole" bagel, were you looking around for more? Can you eat TWO whole sandwiches now? I know previously 2 sandwiches was a minimum for me and I would often go for the third one. I'm presuming that you don't mean that you ate a bagel, a slice of pizza, a bowl of Pasta and a sandwich all in one sitting, do you? I know I would have been capable of that in my pre-banding days.

In the early days, it is quite normal to be able to eat "a whole" something, but if you compare it to your pre-banding days, I'm sure you'll find that there really is a difference. You might not be down to half a cup at a meal yet, but if you make the sandwich with healthy ingredients, limit yourself to one slice of pizza no more often than once a week and use a low fat, tomato-based recipe for your pasta rather than heavy cheese/cream sauces, you will find that you can eat those quantities and still lose weight.

Yah, I agree with Fanny Adams..Compare what you are eating now to what you could put away before.

I had about the same fill last week as you do now and now I am filled to 4.6. It gets sooo much better with each fill.

If I were you I would get a fill. My doctor's office is all about me being successful and they keep telling me to come in sooner when I get that feeling like my band is not working and I start to eat lots of the 'old foods'

just my 2 cents :thumbup: good luck!

Thanks everybody, all of your input does help. And you are right, I was able to eat two even three slices of pizza, not just one. I guess I am eating less most of the time. My next fill is November25th(a couple of days before thanksgiving, convenient right!!) The funny thing is i have my whole family at my house and that is about 40 people and i cook. HA. Oh btw I had dr geiss also and i live in Selden.

oh my god isn't dr. Geiss great? I had such a good experience with him and his staff, this is a small world this is great that we can talk about our success and our bumps in the road and is good to know somebody is also going through the same thing as me. Let me ask you do you ever feel like when you eat food gets stuck in the way down? does any body ever felt that way?

Healthysue, remember the band will not do all of the work for you. You still have to try and have some restraint. Instructions form our nutritionist were, don't eat anything you have to take a bite from, such as pizza, hamburger, hot dog, sandwiches. We don't realize how big a bite we take when we do this and sooner or later we are going to get in trouble trying to chew and swallow this "bite". We were told not to eat any "white" carbs such as breads and Pasta. Most, if not all of your internal swelling has gone down and it allows more to pass through. But we need to realize the Proteins need to go in first, another rule of thumb, not to eat anything that is not to put anything that is not at least 7 g Protein in our mouth. We have to retrain our brains, I have been there and done that too, once those fills start doing the restricting, and something is "hung up" you will wish you planned ahead. I have had this happen a couple of times and then you learn. I signed up for this and I must follow the rules. I was banded in jan 08, had 6 fills total of 6.5 cc in 10 cc band. 62 lbs down and have gone from a 16/18 to a 6/8. It is a wonderful feeling. But the band needs help form you. exercise every day if not twice a day. You are three months into this journey, the old ways will try to creep in if you dont fight those demons early on. Good luck:wink2:

I had surgery July 28th. I have lost 50lbs, I have not had my first fill yet. I am getting it filled Nov 17th. I have found myself slipping back into bad habits, I understand this is a daily struggle. I need to lose 150 more and it is hard.

I was banded July 30 and just got my second fill yesterday. It has been difficult and at times demoralizing waiting for something to happen.

I think maybe finally I have some restriction, but I won't know for sure until I get off liquids tomorrow. Don't give up. Try to make the right food choices. Just because you can eat certain things, doesn't mean you should. Try to get those good habits in place, because that is what will take you and me to our goals.

There is no doubt that I underestimated the inner strength required for this stage of the journey. Hang in there. We will make it!

Orea

How did any body coupe with the feeling of having food stuck in your esophagus, wanted to vomit but can't. Also does any body get bad craving (like chocolate) I had a piece of chocolate yesterday and feel so bad today. How can I train my head into not want to eat those kind of foods? help, any suggestions.

Every time you resist temptation, you strengthen your "resistance muscle" and every time you give in, you weaken it. With practice, your good habits will get strong and it will be easier. I find if I stay away from the sugars and simple carbs the craving eventually goes away, pretty much, and I am not tempted any more for the most part. Granted, it can take me months to get there, but it is so worth it to get that monkey off my back.

sue we have the same surgery date since my surgery the first week i was hospitalized twice for dehydration i was so swollen i couldnt swallow spit as i had an esophagal repair also but after that i still vomit about 2xs a week the old eating habits die hard but my weight loss has been great and i have not yet had a fill and i dont think im getting one on weds when i see the dr. ive lost 70 lbs since surgery and 98 lbs altogether since may 15. im 20 lbs from my goal and 24 lbs from dr. goal and he is gonna yell at me on weds when i see him. what has probably happened is you lost some of the fat around where they put the band reducing the amount of restriction that you have or your dr might just have a passive approach to your fills hang in there and keep me posted im glad ive found someone with the same date as me

Edited by skinnymike