Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coumadin and Lovenox

On Oct.30 ,2008, I was told that I had blood clots in both of my lungs. I stayed one night in the hospital. I was released on the strenght that I inject myself twice daily with lovenox and take one coumadin pill daily. Is there anyone else on this site, that have been through something like this. Your response is well needed.

I take Coumadin for Atrial Fibrillation. I had to go off it for 5 days before my surgery on October 7th, 2008. I got Lovanox injections at the hospital and continued them at home until I could go back on Coumadin five days after my surgery. Atrial Fibrillation puts me at a higher risk for blood clots. I also had a CT scan of my lungs and a doppler scan of my legs six days after surgery just to make sure no clots were hiding anywhere. You will probably have to stay on Coumadin for a short while. I have to stay on it forever.

Giddyupgrandma, have you had any dental work done, while taking coumadin, because I really need to have my root canal completely.

Babycat--Yes, I have had two teeth pulled. I have an awful bite and crack my teeth below the gum line. Despite root canals and crowns, I had to have all four of my upper back teeth removed. Two on each side. The first two were before I was on coumadin. For the last two, I had to go off the coumadin three days before the oral surgery, but was able to go back on one day after. My oral surgeon required me to have an INR the morning of my surgery. He said anything below 1.5 was okay (I was 1.3). Hope that helps.

BabyCat,

Was this post op? I had a Pulmonary Embolism while pregnant with my daughter. I can't imagine having 2 blood clots. How scary :D I can't believe you were only in the hospital 1 night.... I was in 10 days!!!

Kayleighsmommy, I was Banded 1 year ago. I got my clots from birth control pills, that I had been taken for eight years. I was able to go home the next day, because I knew how to give the lovenox injections. If I was unable to do the injections I would have had to stay longer.

BabyCat: I have had two episodes of PE's about 10 years apart. For the last one, I had to take the shots once a day until they stablized my Coumadin. I hate the shots. My doc suggested I have a filter placed before I was banded on 8/25/08 and I did. Had to go back on the shots for the banding, but got off of them quickly. I take Coumadin every night.

The big problem for me is that you can't eat leafy greens, etc. on Coumadin and that really restricts what you can eat after banding. I miss my salads (Brocoli, not so much).

Kayleighsmommy, I was Banded 1 year ago. I got my clots from birth control pills, that I had been taken for eight years. I was able to go home the next day, because I knew how to give the lovenox injections. If I was unable to do the injections I would have had to stay longer.

I see. Those BC pills can do that to ya. I guess part of the reason I was in the hospital so long was that I was 8 weeks pg and had to be stabilized on heparin first. Then heparing injections every 8 hours for the next 7 months!! I was really a pincushion...heparin 3 times a day and insulin 4 times. Guess that was just all a part of being fat and pregnant!!! (though I am aware you do not have to be heavy to have a PE, or to take insulin) My high risk OB blamed the PE on my weight every chance he got (completely ignoring the fact I have a clotting problem ;( I am now on lifetime coumadin.

I am hoping you have everything under control now, and are feeling better.

Kayleighsmommy, I really pray that I never experience this again. It truly scared me and now I have enough puncture wounds on my stomach to last a life time. I think that your OB was inconsiderate to your health problems. You and giddyupgrandma has been a great source of information to me, it great to chat with someone who have been through, what you are going through. I will keep the both of you in my prays. I hope others who have experience pulmonary embolism will join this post.

Ifish where is the filter placed and is it permanent? I'm just curious, I want to know everything I can learn about PE. I never paid no mind to PE, because I thought that it would never happen to me .

I had a massive DVT in my left leg (from ankle to groin) that resulted in bilateral multiple PEs. I didn't end up staying in the hospital at all, but was put on Innohep shots for five days while taking warfarin to get my INR between the 2.0-3.0 range.

I've been off of warfarin now for about two months and have gone for genetic testing. I'll find out in December if I need to go back on it or not.

My hematologist said that, despite how severe the PEs were, that if my blood work comes back clear I shouldn't have to go on blood thinners permanently unless I develop another DVT or PE. At that point I'll go on them for life. Also, he said if I have surgery, travel anywhere that requires a flight or drive of 6 hours or longer or get pregnant I'll temporarily have to go back on heparin.

I have to agree about it sucking not getting the green veggies in. I was still allowed to, but I had to make sure I was absolutely consistent on a daily basis which was a pain in the ass some days to do (you know how life can get in the way.. hehe)

Sometimes I feel like I am the only person in the world who knows what it is like to be on coumadin. Although I am sorry that you guys have to take it, your posts really help me to put my condition in perspective. I really hated the Lovenox injections too.

I have also had the lovely (not) experience of having to take warfarin tablets for 6 months and still need to give myself needles before and after flying to reduce the possibility of a clot. I had a PE a day after leaving hospital after a month long stay and was put back in for a few days.

My biggest fear was that I wouldn't be able to get banded due to the previous PE but thankfully that all was done without a problem.

I hope everything goes well for you babycat.

Hi, I was diagnosed with PE in 8/07 after a few years of birth control pills. Luckily I ALSO had kidney stones which is what drove me to the ER and after the stone had passed and I should have been feeling better, I wasn't and they decided to do a ct scan AND found the clots in both my lungs and discovered a DVT in my right leg. So I am lucky to be here today as this can be fatal:ohmy:. I was on coumedin for 6 months and they did blood work to determine iF I had a blood clotting disorder. That was proved negative so it has been determined that the clots were caused by the birth control pills. I was banded on 8/29/08 and the only condition that my hematologist and pulmonologist required were that I have the IVC Filter placed in before the surgery as a precaution. So on 8/28 they put in the filter and then the banding was done on 8/29 and then the filter was removed on 10/13/08. I was on Lovenox for 2 weeks then continued with Coumedin up until 10/6/08. I have been lucky not to have any other occurences. Being on coumedin for life is no fun!!! :rolleyes:

Miss Nikkie