Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are u getting your protein in? (share tips and tricks)

Ok, so Ive come to realize that I need to up my Protein a bit....

Although I havent had a problem up till now, Im starting to have increased Hair loss, so Im upping the pro's.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any tips or tricks they wanted to share with everyone....

I know that my biggest problem is when Im out and about, and hungry. Its a pain in the A double scribble to stop somewhere fast and grab something thats not either loaded with bread, or sopped with fat.........

Id love to see what everyone else is doing..............

Thanks

Wendy

i'm on the "low" side of Protein grams per day (50-60ish), and i get that 90% of the time from food. i'll add a Protein Drink here/there when in the mood or need extra before or after a workout.

in general - i do a lot of food planning & prep & keep "good" treats around for snacks: Jerky, raw nuts, fruit, veggies. etc. i noticed cliff bar has mini ones now (100cal) and that seems to be my husbands favorite while he's traveling for work...,

i'm sure others will chime in, sorry about the hairloss - really glad i didn't have that issue.

i'm sure others will chime in, sorry about the hairloss - really glad i didn't have that issue.

I dunno why I didnt have it all along, all of a sudden Im over a year out and I could make a wig with what falls out of my head each day.....lol.

Im laughing but it really sux.....

Thanks for your help...

I've started carrying Weight Watchers light Mozzarella sticks -- 5 grams of Protein, 50 calories and very satisfying. But when I'm traveling (which seems to be often these days), I carry Ray and Terry's Protein Shake powder (| Ray and Terry's Longevity Products) to mix into milk to make sure I can get a quick dose of 20 grams of protein (that's with the milk) in the morning -- I like it because it tastes natural (sweetened with stevia) and has Fiber.< /p>

I use the Pure Protein Bars. They can be found at Walmart, grocery stores, etc. 20 grams a Protein each. I keep one in my purse at all times. I'm never in a pinch anymore. South Beach diet bars is what my dietitian recommended.

Can I ask how much Protein you eat on a daily basis after lapband??

I am using this as my last resort, but have been fairly successful and even become a health coach and looking at going to school for wellness and diet health, insurance won't pay for surgery but I am losing weight - not sure if I can do this and want to be knowledgeable about this as options to people I talk too - very scary.

Not sure what the daily calorie/protein/carb/fat limits are after lapband.

I try to get 65 grams a day of Protein but often get more. I have Protein with EACH meal and eat it first. I don't really watch my carbs or fat though... I am still losing, but could probably do better.

B- 5 light laughing cow cheese cubes w/ lox (I make little lox wraps.)

L- teriyaki chicken (home made, no rice)

S- 100 calorie pack oreo thingies

D- 2 tacos, 1/2 cup of refried Beans

Total calories: 947

Fat: 40

Carbs: 50

Fiber: 13

Protein: 80

I also burned like, 540 calories swimming today.... so that changes things a bit, but I am not counting that toward the calories anymore.

I usually have oatmeal for Breakfast and add a scoop of Protein powder to it each morning. Can't taste the difference and really helps up my Protein each day.

I also carry a SB Protein Bar in my purse, just in case I am hungry when I am out and about and can't find anything that is non-greasy or healthy to eat.

I'm finding out that one of the best ways of getting my Protein in is by being prepared. Have the right stuff in the house, make my Breakfast and lunch the night before and I'll have a better chance during the day. I've stopped the Protein Shakes about a week ago and I started paying the price for that. My nutritionist suggested that I make an 8 oz shake in the morning and drink 4 oz in between breakfast and lunch and 4 oz between lunch and dinner. This will boost my protein and hopefully keep the hunger down.

I put 1 scoop of Protein Powder in my coffee almost every morning. (My Mom who is also banded puts a scoop in her sugar free hot chocolate.) I don't hardly notice the protien powder, of course it depends on what kind your using, some are better than others. I like the plain powder with no flavors and no sweetener. I use xylitol if I want to sweeten things and I can't use splenda (sucralose), because it gives me a gigantic :confused_smile:migraine. Since the powder is unflavored I can add it to anything and not change the flavor. I buy it from www.bulkfoods.com, my mom and I go in on the 25lb one and split it so we don't have to pay for shipping!

I also use the body fortress Protein Shots from Walmart, when they have them. My mom and I both keep our eyes pealed for them when we go and we buy them out every time we see them! They never keep more than a couple boxes at a time:cursing:.

I've also found some single serve cottage cheese, they are just the right size and keep me satisfied until the next meal. Just a note on adding Protein powder, I've read not to add it to things that are too hot, not sure :confused:why, but I like my coffee drinkable, so it works for me!

I did not read a lot of the posts so sorry if this is a repeat. I buy the Protein shots/bullets that have 42g of protein in 2.3 oz. They do not taste the best but I can manage to get one down. Peach is by far the best flavor I've tried thus far. You can dilute the shots b/c they side on a thick consistency or put them in jell-o. Lots of different things. You can find them @ Vitamin World, GNC, etc. Also, my mom had Gastric Bypass a few yrs. ago. and took the Nioxin nail and hair supplements and didn't seem to have a problem with Hair loss. Good luck! :thumbup: I'm only 7 wks. post-op but sure hope this doesn't happen.