Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Made my mom cry

When I told my mom I was going to get banded (in Mexico), she cried. I feel awful, but know this is what i want and need. Has anyone had this problem? Any advice??

I haven't had this problem, but think you should tell your mom that you are doing this for your health. For once, you are doing something for YOU. What you need from her is her support through this experience.

My DH was not supportive at the first thought, but I told him something similar and he backed me 100%.

Unsure;

if you don't mind me asking how much does it cost to have the surgery done in Mexico I have been so curious about this compared to what are insurance pays.

Where I'm thinking of going is 7500 US, in Canada it's easily 18-20,000.. obviously Mexico is cheaper - even with the exchange rate flights etc...

My Husband doesn't want me to get the lap band, he talked me out of it and asked me to wait a year or two and try to lose weight again on my own. I am trying to lose weight on my own again for him, but if my husband was 100% behind me, I'd already have the band. Do what YOU need to do, it's not her body and she doesn't have to live through the crap we do.

Good luck,

Steph

I'm still going to get the band, she will be supportive either way - but she cried :teeth_smile: , just wondering if ppl had anything to say about Mexico or the experience in general - I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly

My experience in MX was 100% positive, I have and continue to recommend my Dr. to others. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have to wonder, does your Mom have weight issues? I know I fear for my kids----I do not want them to have to deal with their weight like I did mine. I have one DD it is going to be an issue with. It breaks my heart. I might cry if she told me she was being banded, but it would be tears of gratitude that there is something she can do to take control of her life while she is young. We Moms want our kids healthy and happy, and she sees you being neither now....but surgery is scary, and WLS, when you hear all the negativity, is even scarier.....but when weighed (no pun intended) against the devastation obesity causes our bodies, the surgery is not nearly as scary. I would suggest when you go to the seminar for the band surgery, take your Mom, I bet she turns around!

DH---yes is Dear, Darned, Darling, Damned.....Husband, depending on the mood!!! Same with DD---daughter, DS son---you get the idea!!

Kat

hey unsure.. im 22 as well and in the process of getting banded. i cant say ive had the same experiences as you, but at the same time i didnt spring it on my parents.. it was something that i talked to them about along the way. where abouts in cananda are you if you dont mind me asking?

I'm from Edmonton, Alberta.

This is definitely something I sprung on my mom. When I called her and said I wanted to speak to her and my dad alone I had to interget with a "No I'm not pregnant or getting married" - hahaha.

She has had problems with her weight - when she was my age she weighed around 100 lbs !!!!! but with kids and such she gained lots of weight, and is no under control and VERY active!!!!!

I on the other hand have always been overweight, and I mean ALWAYS. I'm tired of it, and can't afford to wait or to pay in Canada.

Guilt is another issue all together. When I know I was fat, and I see my DD gaining weight, I feel responsible. I taught her how to eat, and passed on the genes that are pre disposing her to the weight problem.....those are the things that go through my mind.

Now I know she is an adult, and information on healthy eating is readily available, and she could eat better, and exercise more. I KNOW that.....but as her Mom and role model, I feel like I failed her, and it makes me sad. At this point with my DD she is simply a bit overweight, but she is following in my footsteps in how she is gaining and the age she is gaining.....it scares me, and it saddens me. It also makes me very happy to know she has options at a younger age than I felt like I had.

Hope you and your Mom get on the same page!!

Kat

I say go for it. Your mother only cried because she loves you. Heaps of people on this forum have been banded in Mexico and you are sure to find a great Surgeon there. Find lots of success stories to show her of people banded in Mexico. Good luck!

I'm still going to get the band, she will be supportive either way - but she cried :teeth_smile: , just wondering if ppl had anything to say about Mexico or the experience in general - I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly

I was banded in Mexico. I had a great experience there. I treated soooo well. I don't regret it at all. There are certain things to consider with when going to MX though. You can PM me to ask some questions if you want.

Everyone I told about going to MX told me I was crazy and were totally against it. It's just because they aren't educated about it. Show your mom the research and success stories to mind at ease. Explain to her that the MX docs train the US docs in this procedure and are far more experienced.

Unsure;

if you don't mind me asking how much does it cost to have the surgery done in Mexico I have been so curious about this compared to what are insurance pays.

Usaually it cost anywhere from $7000-$9000 plus airfare from your state and back. All other expenses are paid for.