Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a long chat with my band surgeon this weekend. One of the topics was carbonation. I asked him, "Why can't we have carbonation." He said "you don't want carbonation, you want crap." He was right! He said if we all wanted carbonation so bad, we'd be asking if we could drink Perrier, but all of us keep asking to drink soda. Maybe some of us drink sparkling Water all or some of the time, but I want a damn Diet Pepsi.

There is no proof that carbonation causes slippage, pouch stretching, etc. I asked Dr. Billy why all the other doctors say to avoid it, and I wanted to know the theory behind it all. Many doctors believe that if a "burp gets trapped" the gas could cause the band to slip. But that's "IF" a burp gets stuck, and I burp like a hog so there's no chance of that.

What it boils down to is bad food choices. Dr. Billy doesn't understand why we'd want to put any kind of crap into our stomachs, and since soda and diet soda is filled with crap then we should avoid it, but there's no proof that carbonation causes slippage. Even a bad hiccup could potentially cause slippage.

I forgot to mention that I'm a Diet Pepsi junkie. I quit for almost a year after banding, but lately I just gotta have one. For me, what it boils down to is this: If enjoying a Diet Pepsi will prevent me from eating a pint of Ben and Jerry's, then I'm going to have the Diet Pepsi. Even my doctor agreed that he'd rather see me with a Diet Pepsi than ice cream.

I haven't had a soda since Feb 24, 2005. I still eat stuff I'm not suppose to but I don't rave sodas. I did try to drink a Rock Star energy drink, not thinking about the carbonation and after I took a big sip it hit me that it was carbonated and my stomach felt terrible. So I try to stay away from carbonated beverages, and i have no problems with burping either! :(

For me - it is carbonation - in large part. I tried to get myself off soda - fairly successfully prior to surgery. I started by drinking sparkling flavored Water in the evenings - and found I loved it. I even did club soda in a pinch because the carbonation was what I craved - giving it a *lil* flavor was important - what kind - didn't matter (I just made sure it was sugar free).

But I wouldn't mind knowing in a bit I could have a diet cola. it seems that something from a fountain might be less carbonated that a can. It always seems my fountain drinks lose fizz easier - which is actually probably a bonus now.

I just plain need bubbles or the carmel coloring. Because I can drink diet, no caffeine, no sodium, it has to be the bubbles or coloring. Never have figured it out. You guys are all an inspiration. Been reading for months, just haven't made the jump and one of the silly reasons is giving up diet bubbles. food too, but bubbles are a concern. LOL

Good to know. I'm likin' this Dr. Billy. lol. My doc never really said anything either way, so I use my tummy to tell me what's ok. I figure that if something makes me sick or uncomfortable, then having alot of it would be a bad idea. I do have carbonation. It's almost always in the form of diet soda (I'm liking Diet Rite, they are sodium free too). Sometimes a winecooler, or something like that at a social occasion or whatever. Some days, I sip on it and my tummy feels all tight, so I stop. Other times, it's no big deal. I do try to stick to 1 or less a day. I don't have one every day, or even every week, but if I feel like I want something other than Water or crystal lite, a diet soda is nice.

good to know. Thanks. I use good ginger ale when I feel nausious, or at least I did pre-band. I hate to use the phenegren, espeically when I just feel slightly nausious.

For nausea I use cola Syrup (no carbonation). It is loaded with calories but you only take a teaspoonful or 2 and your tummy will feel better. My local pharmacy orders it for me, it is about $3.75 for a 4 oz bottle. It is the only thing that got me through beinf pregnant and sick for 9 months. I was one of those women that had morning sickness the day I went into labor, the cola syrup was a lifesaver.

Anything with a flavor is "crap" (not my words) one way or another. If it's got flavor, it's either sugar or some artificial chemical. I agree with Billy that non of us are crying the blues cause we miss our Perrier! Today I had a Diet Pepsi, which saved me about 450 calories considering I usually have a Starbuck's.

I'm pretty sure beer bongs are out of the question though! I could see where gulping carbonation could cause a problem.

If diet soda is the worst "crap" I put into my system post-band, I'll be doing a HECK of a lot better than I am right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Pansy

Pansy, I agree 100%. Especially because I can enjoy a can of Diet Pepsi now, whereas before I'd drink it buy the bucket.